Pennz Plat 5W30, 4,786 miles, 2017 Honda 1.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by chinee
Originally Posted by buster
This fill was a Pennzoil Platinum mix, 2.5 qts of 5W30 and 1.25 qts of 0W20, an attempt to use a slightly "thicker" oil to compensate for the anticipated fuel dilution.

I used to agree with that philosophy, but I don't anymore. Ask Gokhan has stated, the larger spread 5w30 likely reguires more VII's, which will break down when there is fuel dilution. This is why you don't see 0w20 and 5w20's dropping out of grade.

That is interesting... so we should see the current fill of 0W20 perform better, as far as maintaining its viscosity. Time will tell.

It will likely just remain a 20 grade, rather than the 30 grade becoming a 20 grade.

i've ran 0w20 in my Civic and it has fallen out of the grade just as is easy as 5w30 does. fuel is fuel, and it dilutes the oil regardless of the grade

Originally Posted by parshisa
i've ran 0w20 in my Civic and it has fallen out of the grade just as is easy as 5w30 does. fuel is fuel, and it dilutes the oil regardless of the grade

Hi parshisa,
Can you post the UOA of that incident, showing the XW20 fell below the 5.6 minimum viscosity for the grade at 100°C?

Screenshot_20200129-162144_Chrome.jpg

Keep going guys... it's been a while since I've truly followed this board, so this stuff is new to me and invaluable to learn.

And of course I have to figure out how to ring as much life out of this engine, especially if I decide to keep it around as long as I do my other vehicles.

Originally Posted by wemay

Hi parshisa,
Can you post the UOA of that incident, showing the XW20 fell below the 5.6 minimum viscosity for the grade at 100°C?

Here you go

2020-01-29_16-44-05.jpg

I know I'm new here and could really care less about blackstone or any UOA for that matter but isn't this on a new car?

Hi parshisa,

Here you go

Originally Posted by D1dad
I know I'm new here and could really care less about blackstone or any UOA for that matter but isn't this on a new car?

Hi parshisa,

Here you go

it is. what difference does it make though?

Hi parshisa,

With the updated J300, that's no longer the lower limit:
[Linked Image from widman.biz]

Thanks. That is pretty bad indeed. The VW currently delegated to run a 0w20 seem to be doing much better with the VW508.00 oils. That might be an option here.

Thanks. That is pretty bad indeed. The VW currently delegated to run a 0w20 seem to be doing much better with the VW508.00 oils. That might be an option here.

it kind of is, but to be fair moving forward I've ran two more fills with 0w20 and they didn't fall out of the range that bad, lowest I think was 7.6cst or something. But, on the Civicx forum people post their UOA on 0w20 and more often than not by the end of OCI it is within 6.5-7cst range.

After looking at chinee's uoa again, I wouldn't worry about the Flash Point as much as I'd herald the low wear numbers. But I can understand some other's' concerns.

After looking at chinee's uoa again, I wouldn't worry about the Flash Point as much as I'd herald the low wear numbers. But I can understand some other's' concerns.

I agree, the wear numbers are low, but I would have really liked to go 10-12K between changes. Back in '05 and '06, 6-10K was the goal, and in some engines absolutely attainable. Today, that kind of mileage between OCI's should be standard. I am disappointed in Honda, the reason we got a Civic was to be worry-free, and in all fairness... I'm the only one worrying, the only one who cares about these numbers, the rest of the fam couldn't give two hoots about fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by chinee

I agree, the wear numbers are low, but I would have really liked to go 10-12K between changes. Back in '05 and '06, 6-10K was the goal, and in some engines absolutely attainable. Today, that kind of mileage between OCI's should be standard. I am disappointed in Honda, the reason we got a Civic was to be worry-free, and in all fairness... I'm the only one worrying, the only one who cares about these numbers, the rest of the fam couldn't give two hoots about fuel dilution.

Me too. Every time i bring up oil in our conversations my wife says..."Don't act dotish nah!"

Originally Posted by buster
This fill was a Pennzoil Platinum mix, 2.5 qts of 5W30 and 1.25 qts of 0W20, an attempt to use a slightly "thicker" oil to compensate for the anticipated fuel dilution.

I used to agree with that philosophy, but I don't anymore. Ask Gokhan has stated, the larger spread 5w30 likely reguires more VII's, which will break down when there is fuel dilution. This is why you don't see 0w20 and 5w20's dropping out of grade.

A good, stable 10W-30, like PPPP 10W-30, with very low volatility, would almost surely stay in grade better than a 5W-30, due to having less VII.

That's one of the big reasons I ran that oil in my 2016 WRX (they're also TGDI as well as being boxer engines, which, I've read, tend to shear oil worse than inline or vee engines). One of the lowest Noack volatility test ratings of ANY oil (4.7% at last published test), regardless of price - and it was cheap and on the shelf at Walmart. I sold that WRX, but I never had any complaints about that oil's performance in that car. And I took it out to the mountains and flogged it a lot.

I had no worries running that oil in Tennessee. I even did a few trips up to Northern Indiana last winter and started the car after it sat outside all night in temperatures in the single digits and teens, and it started up great, with no unusual noises, etc. So, I'd have the utmost confidence running it in that car in Florida climate.

The fiancee has a 2018 CIvic HB 1.5T 6MT. I do the maintenance on it, and I'm running 0W-20 (loaded up on >50 quarts of M1-AP and VME at the AZ clearance for 2 bucks a quart) at 5K OCIs. Last one got away from me and it had about 6200 miles on the Castrol Edge 0W-20 I'd put in before I got a chance to drain it. She also did many short trips on that oil. I did take a sample; just haven't had a chance to send in yet, but I will soon.

I'm not terribly worried about running 0W-20 in the car, as most of the engine damage that's resulted from fuel dilution has been in states in the snow belt, where it gets a lot colder, and with folks who short-trip the crap out of their cars. We do short trip it some, but her commute now is about 12-15 miles, 5-6 days a week, one way, and we do quite a few out of town trips in the car. I have some of the PPPP 10W-30 left over, and I also snagged a few quarts (wasn't much left) of the M1-AP 5W-30 that was on clearance at AZ. So, I'll probably throw some of that in with the 0W-20 to use it up this year, and I'll probably also get a couple of UOAs done on those.

Since she bought the car in Indiana, she did get the letter from Honda, notifying her that her powertrain warranty (only on certain engine components - supposedly those that have been affected in the cars with severe dilution) would be extended by one year, to a total of six years, with no mileage limit. I believe the engine components that will be covered by the extension are rocker arms, cams, and spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back