Peak Synthetic

Any API SM SN, SN+ or SP rated oil is a 'good oil'

Generally the question does not have to be asked of oils with carry these markings. JMO

Originally Posted by oilchangeguy
Who makes Peak Synthetic and is it any good?

Wasn't it made by Pennzoil at one time?
21.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
It is WPP who makes Peak oil. The Dexos approval number is theirs.

Thanks. Likely World has changed suppliers or I was misinformed when it was introduced.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

21.gif

Not when Pennzoil was a company. Post merger and buyout, I couldn't tell you.

21.gif

Never heard that, you might be thinking of Wolf's Head oil, which is Amalie now I think...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

21.gif

Never heard that, you might be thinking of Wolf's Head oil, which is Amalie now I think...

Just a slight clarification. Pennzoil owned Wolf's Head, but for the most part production, sales, and distribution were operated separately from Pennzoil Products. Until Shell spun off Wolf's Head to Amalie shortly after buying out P-QS, Wolf's Head had its own distributors. So it was owned, not a private label being produced for some other company.
Sometime in the mid '90s, Pennzoil direct operations started selling a few Wolf's Head quart packaged products as a lower priced companion product, which from my perspective was very successful. After buying out Pennzoil-Quaker State, Shell sold off Wolf's Head, saying that as a regional product it didn't fit their strategic plan. Replacing it in direct operations with Formula Shell, my sales tanked. My customers loved the Wolf's Head, but saw nothing in Formula Shell they couldn't get almost anywhere else.

There's an Oil Analysis of it here. Might be looking for it for a while in the archives. Could be almost a year ago. If I recall correctly, the analysis was good.
Close to the same time-frame was a good analysis of the Delco Dexos oil the dealer sells and another good one on the Harvest brand over at Rural Stores.

It's all good oil nowadays and some are really inexpensive. The only one that sets off a loud alarm inside my reaching hand is Coastal Oil. My wallet has a different kind of alarm. If the sell everything & anything retail store white collar-shirts decide the name of the oil, despite having absolutely no idea on how motor oil is made, I won't buy it (Ex: Walmart & Supertech).
I buy oils whose name was originated by the motor oil producer themselves.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
There's an Oil Analysis of it here. Might be looking for it for a while in the archives. Could be almost a year ago. If I recall correctly, the analysis was good.
Close to the same time-frame was a good analysis of the Delco Dexos oil the dealer sells and another good one on the Harvest brand over at Rural Stores.

It's all good oil nowadays and some are really inexpensive. The only one that sets off a loud alarm inside my reaching hand is Coastal Oil. My wallet has a different kind of alarm. If the sell everything & anything retail store white collar-shirts decide the name of the oil, despite having absolutely no idea on how motor oil is made, I won't buy it (Ex: Walmart & Supertech).
I buy oils whose name was originated by the motor oil producer themselves.

That's why I shied away when I was told Warren Oil - Dunn NC was the blender. I still remember the shenanigans PQIA caught them up to.

Don't really see the logic in paying extra for Mag 1 Dexos over SuperTech just because WPP named it though.

If you go that route you can't use any of the auto manufacturers oil because it's named and sold by them rather than the company that made it. Of course I wouldn't pay extra for Motorcraft or Toyota over Kendall or Mobil either.

Last edited:
Gene

Member bbhero showed me a linked spec of the Mag1 full syn that read it cleaned pistons 60% better than the competition. That's only 5% less than what Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (65%) has been bragging about for a few years.
So maybe it's built with a wee-bit more cleansing power. He was getting it at NAPA. That outfit doesn't stock much. But they are willing to order anything you want from warehouses they deal with and have it for pickup in a day or three.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
Member bbhero showed me a linked spec of the Mag1 full syn that read it cleaned pistons 60% better than the competition. That's only 5% less than what Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (65%) has been bragging about for a few years.
So maybe it's built with a wee-bit more cleansing power. He was getting it at NAPA. That outfit doesn't stock much. But they are willing to order anything you want from warehouses they deal with and have it for pickup in a day or three.

Is that how it works? The two "cleanliness" advertisements can be directly compared between two brands?

How do we know the competition is the same for each brand? You're assuming both used the same competitor for the comparison?

Since it is two different companies, what if each one is the other's competition?

Hey kschachn... I believe it was actually 60% cleaner vs the API SN standard... That's what I think it was in comparison to... Just like Pennzoil Ultra platinum being 65% cleaner in comparison to API SN standard.

Last edited:
Hey kschachn... I believe it was actually 60% cleaner vs the API SN standard... That's what I think it was in comparison to... Just like Pennzoil Ultra platinum being 65% cleaner in comparison to API SN standard.

Ahh I see. So compared to the minimum standards for a standard, not actual comparisons between brands. That makes a lot more sense.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Ahh I see. So compared to the minimum standards for a standard, not actual comparisons between brands. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah that was it there man. It was that comparison between the API SN and what that oil did. .

60% sounds quite good but it may well not mean but so much in real world use. At least I wonder about how that really correlates with anything in actuality.

Back