Particle counts:

Yet you think my samples taken in just such a manner are atypical?

I simply asked you how you did it, and never said it was wrong or atypical.

You never answered what's a better method for a DIY-er on an ICE than the tube down the dipstick tube.

Last edited:
I have run across this before with Tubing/Vampires and it has a potential to skew a sample severely.

The act of running an open tube through the tunnel will almost always certainly plow contamination into the bore and end up in a sample from the walls of the tube.

I have run across this before with Tubing/Vampires and it has a potential to skew a sample severely.

The act of running an open tube through the tunnel will almost always certainly plow contamination into the bore and end up in a sample from the walls of the tube.
Yep … a cooler loop valve is better but we only tend to have them on larger ICE’s …
If I ever had the itch to do long runs with Amsoil SS plus a dual filter … there is a way to plumb this in.
But unlike big generator engines, I still could not sample under (OEM sanctioned) engine load conditions …

I simply asked you how you did it, and never said it was wrong or atypical.

I told you back then that was how I did it on the Honda test.

the VW won’t accept a tube so its a drain stream sample.

You never answered what's a better method for a DIY-er on an ICE than the tube down the dipstick tube.

With those qualifications my original answer still stands.

A dedicated sample port is the “best” way. To the extent there is a “best” way.

I honestly don’t think there is a way That multiple people are going to create comparable samples for use here. Each individual’s samples are probably comparable relatively within that piece of equipment.

IMO the only way to gather meaningful data is to collect a large number of samples, process ALL of the results and see what the data tells you. Even thenit’s going to be of marginal use, even assuming you could get several hundred samples per filter..

Back