Pablo, are Amsoil oil filters stillthe best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only Fram I would use is the Ultra. I think the STP filter is a cheap imitation of what one would expect of the STP brand. Unfortunately Amsoil doesn't make a filter for my 4.0; I do like what I see of the NAPA Platinum. I'll probably start using them rather than the P1 for longer OCI's.

Here is the link to the TSB:
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/filtration/tsb fl-2009-05-01 eao toyota.pdf

ISSUES:
A small number of customers with Toyota, Lexus and Pontiac vehicles with Toyota-built engines have reported that
their vehicles’ oil pressure light has illuminated prior to
reaching the end of the AMSOIL-recommended 25,000-
mile drain interval.

RECOMMENDATION:
AMSOIL no longer recommends EaO09, EaO10 or EaO57
Filters with any Toyota/Lexus application, or with the Pontiac Vibe featuring the 1.8L or 2.4L engines built by Toyota.
For customers operating any of the above listed applications, AMSOIL offers MANN Filters as an alternative to
the Ea Filtration line. MANN Filters can be used for up to
7,500 miles when used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oil.

Regarding filtration, here's something to think about. There are two ways to rate the removal rate of the filter media: nominal or absolute. Most all filter manufacturers use the nominal rating. In other words, nominal ratings mean a filter will remove less than 100% of the dirt that it's challenged with. I'd much rather have a absolute rating, meaning 100% removal, even if the micron size goes up. That way, you know the size of the biggest particle getting through the filter. With a nominal rating, if it's 90% of the dirt challenge, there's the unknown 10% that's going to be bigger than the published particle size. Also, the nominal percentage may be 80%, 70% or some other number.
When I asked Amsoil what the absolute rating of their filters were, I got a straight answer. Most people don't realize that almost all of the filter manufacturers are, in effect "cheating" by making it look like they make a superior product.
I know Amsoil has a superior product, because I asked and got an honest answer!

Originally Posted By: brakebleeder
Are Fram filters anygood? That's all I have used except for some STP.

Fram has tiered filters. The orange can is their lowest tier. It's acceptable however for the price a purolator can be found cheaper for the same tiered filter.
So fram makes 3 tiers= minimum,acceptable,premium.
Their premium filter called ultra is a very good filter and when compared to other brands in its class it can be bought cheaper,which makes it a good value. In order to get your money's worth out of a premium class filter you need to run an extended drain of 15000 miles.
I run the basic filters for 10000 miles,which,depending on whether there was elevated idling or whatever that could be one or 2 oil changes before I change the filter.
On an engine that's clean inside a basic filter should be in service for 10000 miles,unless the engine is very dirty.

does the fram ultra filters use ultra cardboard end caps? fram is highly advertised cheap junk IMO. i have used Amsoil for years + have always changed the oil filter at 6 mo on a yearly change, cheap insurance for sure

WITHOUT SCIENCE I gotta say this 25,000 mile business appears to be asking for SOME trouble.

Maybe the capacity of a single, screw on can has been optimized? No biggie here.

I'm not trying to emasculate anybody but come on now, there's only so much magic in a hat that small. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
WITHOUT SCIENCE I gotta say this 25,000 mile business appears to be asking for SOME trouble.

Maybe the capacity of a single, screw on can has been optimized? No biggie here.

I'm not trying to emasculate anybody but come on now, there's only so much magic in a hat that small. Kira

Amsoil might make some good oils and filters, but their ideas on extending an OCI are none too clever if you do not get a UOA or three done, or have a new car still under warranty.
Their oils do seem to contain more detergents than most, so they are worth considering for extended OCI use, IF TBN loss is the reason why the oil needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Does that tsb still apply to amsoil oil filters for my car (in sig)? Is it a bad idea to run the extended filters (Fram, M1 RP, Amsoil) for more than ~7500 miles ?

Originally Posted by Clevy
Originally Posted by brakebleeder
Are Fram filters anygood? That's all I have used except for some STP.

So fram makes 3 tiers= minimum,acceptable,premium.

Let me fix your typo.
So fram makes 3 tiers..... acceptable - better - premium.

does the fram ultra filters use ultra cardboard end caps? fram is highly advertised cheap junk IMO. i have used Amsoil for years + have always changed the oil filter at 6 mo on a yearly change, cheap insurance for sure

How can you make such a statement when you don't even know what's in the filter to begin with?
Seriously. A Fram Ultra would be a far cheaper and better insurance than Amsoil especially since you are
throwing away premium filters every 6 months. No I don't work for Fram.

Here is a cutaway of an Ultra:

This happened like 12 years ago. Probably back in 08. Now I just buy the fram ultra filters for half the price instead.

Same extended drain media. Amsoil has moved away from Wix as an assembly house for certain filters and now uses Champ.

The changes the guys are talking about occurred several years ago when certain Honda/Toyota filters became too restrictive during extended drains. This was beaten to death by the haters here. One guy predicted thousands of dead engines and Amsoil failing and going out of business. Of course, none of these things happened.

This might truly explain the Honda OE phenomenon that there was less filter in it than a PH7317.I think Fram makes a jobber filter kinda like the dumpy ProSelect from Napa. Might also stand to reason why they are pushing thinner oils aside from CAFE. Learn something new everyday here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back