P/S Fluid '04 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1

Owner's manual says ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent. Since it's not a shifting transmission I'm dealing with, does it matter which type of ATF I use? Could I use the extra quarts of Honda ATF-Z1 I have sitting in the garage and expect good results? Or should I just get a synthetic Mercon III or V and be done with it?

With the turkey baster method, should I gradually replace the fluid all at the same time with the car running? Or is it ok to do a little a day 'til it's done? My concern is mixing of different fluid.

I have 37k miles on my V6, and a serious itch to change the P/S fluid whether it's too soon or not...Mazda says it never needs changing, but I disagree.

I've siphoned+refilled my PS reservoir a bunch of times. It has a mix of OEM fluid, Mobil1 DexronIII ATF, lubegard, and Aamco/Pennzoil/Castrol ATFs.
I don't care for the lifetime fluid BS. Any of the quality ATF's will work well, including the ATF-Z1.

So theoretically, since it's not an automatic transmission, I could switch back and forth between Mercon V and III without any ill effects?

I'm just as tempted to just go with Mobil 1 ATF as I am with the Honda ATF-Z1 I have sitting around.

quote:

Originally posted by V1:
So theoretically, since it's not an automatic transmission, I could switch back and forth between Mercon V and III without any ill effects?...

Yep!

Well, I started to draw old P/S fluid out with a turkey bastor. I went with Castrol Mercon V. The old stuff (37k miles-old) is definitely darker than the new stuff.

I've put my first batch into a plastic bottle, and I will continue to fill new bottles so that we can watch the progression of fluid replacement. I don't know, I thought it would be interesting. I just have to figure out how to post pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back