oxiclean as a bore cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spoke with a guy who makes some seriously high end trap guns and asked him what he used to clean his bores. He recomended oxiclean solution poured in the barrel and plugged with a finger. I guess a couple of shakes is all it takes to completely clean it plastic fouling and all. As long as it is dried and oiled I can't see any risk in this. His guns cost more than most cars and he has not had a problem. I think I am going to try it next time my barrel is dirty. If anyone beats me to it, please post results.

This is the biggest load of crap I've heard all day! No offence.

I have tried just about everything to clean guns and some work very well but this just does not make sence. It would be very abrasive and could rust almost right away against a non-lined bore.

This reminds me of the mechanic that "knows" about oil and says Valvoline is the absolute best oil. Granted he is a very good mechanic but really knows nothing about Triboligy.

Same thing here. Probibly an excellent gun maker but never really studied the chemicals needed to remove metal folwing and propellent fowling.

Despite your advice I went ahead and tried it and it works pretty good. Much better to work with than smelly solvents.

oxyclen is non-clorine bleach that you mix with water. if running water and bleach through your gun is acceptable then give it a try (i don't have the knowledge determine that). the powder completely dissolves in water so i don't think abrasiveness would be an issue.

As I recall black powder shooters often use soap and water to scrub their weapons as soon as possible after shooting, and with the good ole corrosive primers (they did have excellent storage life) some people started with stuff like seltzer water, soap and water, etc., and then followed up bore cleaner.

A simple test is to use a cleaner, and then follow-up with another cleaner; if it's clean either the first cleaned well or the second one isn't any better than the first.

You would think the extra "oxygen" would make the steel rust faster.

Maybe I'll try it on one of my "junk" guns just to see.

I do not know about the Oxi-Clean. I have no problem with the water. Many old timers clean their guns with boiling hot soapy water. After they do this they have to clean and lube everthing!! I have never tried the boil the hot water as a rountine cleaner. It is an excellent way to remove all the cosmoline off of old rifles.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
As I recall black powder shooters often use soap and water to scrub their weapons as soon as possible after shooting

With black powder weapons soap and water is a good cleaning agent. Petroleum based cleaners are not used because any petroleum residue would contaminate a black powder charge if the gun were to be loaded for a period of time. Petroleum residues would not have this effect on guns that fire metallic cartridges.
On shotguns with screw-in choke tubes I would be very carefull to get the water/oxyclean out of the threads. If the gun was a gas operated autoloader I would also be certain that the gas ports/piston are also dried and lubricated.
All the gun cleaners that I have used are very good at removing powder/wad fouling and I would stick with them...leave the oxyclean for the laundry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back