Outlander Plug-in Hybrid EV

Messages
6,708
Location
SE British Columbia, Canada
Thread starter
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged in at city hall. I checked it on the web and see that it has an all-electric range of 20 miles before the engine fires up. It also has regenerative braking like any normal hybrid. In this small mountainous town of Kimberley ( pop. 7,000 ), it might be the ticket. The media is saying several makers of cars will have some electrical component to them by 2025. The PHEV technology is one such method.

8FC977E4-B19D-4A32-B8C1-A03C1239AC03.jpeg


EF1C57B3-2318-40B2-AEE8-5DF62863F595.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Messages
262
Location
Houston, TX
I've had mine almost a year now (14k miles) after haveing had a Chevy Volt for 4 years prior. I needed something with more room in the 2nd row for car seats. So far I've been happy with it and haven't ran the engine in over a month. My commute is about 16 miles round trip and I can 25 or more miles of range on city streets (under 50 mph). It doesn't do as well on mpg as the other small suvs on the market like my moms Equinox on the highway though.
 
Messages
9,796
Location
Jupiter, Florida
You might want to talk to Superflan. He had one for a while and it left him stranded a number of times. It was apparently exceedingly difficult to repair and support was non existent.
 
Messages
6,708
Location
SE British Columbia, Canada
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Donald
So residents tax dollars are paying to charge this vehicle at city hall?
It's a city fleet vehicle, but yes, at this point the city does have free chargers including a solar powered charger. It's all part of the province wide electric vehicle promotion. Most of the power comes from BC Hydro that provides power from about 30 hydro electric dams. Also the city had a 1 MW solar array that was recently sold to an independent power producer.
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,144
Location
Los Gatos, CA
Originally Posted by Donald
So residents tax dollars are paying to charge this vehicle at city hall?
Oftentimes cities subsidize charging as do companies.
 
Messages
11,652
Location
NorthEast
Instead of simplifying drive-train, you make it twice complicated. What can go wrong with that approach? Plug-in hybrid has no long term future. Toyota is the only one who can do that because when they double the component, they don't necessarily halve the reliability. For all other manufacturers, doubling the component counts means quadrupling the things which will go wrong.
 
Messages
262
Location
Houston, TX
Originally Posted by Cujet
You might want to talk to Superflan. He had one for a while and it left him stranded a number of times. It was apparently exceedingly difficult to repair and support was non existent.
I was interested in what problems he had. It looks like it was all related to physical damage to the battery that was covered up by a shady dealer. He is on an island off the coast of Africa so I can imagine the support network isn't quite as good as it is here in the US or Canada. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...stuck-with-a-lemon-warranty-#Post4906791
 
Messages
4,623
Location
Suburban Washington DC
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged in at city hall.
Must be a rough town if they steal hubcaps in front of city hall. At least there are footprints to id the perp.
 
Messages
2,217
Location
utah
Those look like winter snow tire steelies, they probably never had hubcaps. 20 miles is nothing in EV range, its really 10 miles in a cold climate. At least it has a useful size interior. The Volt was too small but its 53 miles is pretty good. Not sure why GM doesn't do a Volt style crossover already.
 

NO2

Messages
940
Location
Michigan
Considering the ridiculous price of gas in BC, I'd look at an EV too. The range is too short on the Outlander. And Mitsubishi quality isn't that great. How about a Prius EV with AWD?
 
Messages
309
Location
Canadia
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged in at city hall.
Must be a rough town if they steal hubcaps in front of city hall. At least there are footprints to id the perp.
Having snow tires mounted on a set of steel rims is common. If the factory wheels with the summer/all season tires didn't require hubcaps, there won't be any to transfer to the winter wheels.
 
Messages
4,623
Location
Suburban Washington DC
Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged in at city hall.
Must be a rough town if they steal hubcaps in front of city hall. At least there are footprints to id the perp.
Having snow tires mounted on a set of steel rims is common. If the factory wheels with the summer/all season tires didn't require hubcaps, there won't be any to transfer to the winter wheels.
Guess my comment went over some peoples head. LOL Isn't that AWD? How much does it snow there that a 4x4 needs snows or the roads don't get plowed fast enough? And isn't the town playing fast and loose with the taxpayers money? A set of steel wheels and sensors must cost at least $500 vs. swapping out the tires at the city maintenance yard by mechanics already on the clock.
 
Messages
14,659
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by atikovi
Guess my comment went over some peoples head. LOL Isn't that AWD? How much does it snow there that a 4x4 needs snows or the roads don't get plowed fast enough? And isn't the town playing fast and loose with the taxpayers money? A set of steel wheels and sensors must cost at least $500 vs. swapping out the tires at the city maintenance yard by mechanics already on the clock.
It looks like between 80 and 150 inches per year, about double or even triple what we get here in the Milwaukee area. And just having AWD doesn't do jack for stopping distances. A RWD car with good winter tires will run circles around an AWD vehicle with all-seasons. And more importantly stop in a much shorter distance.
 
Messages
1,077
Location
Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged In this small mountainous town of Kimberley ( pop. 7,000 ) The PHEV technology is one such method.
Originally Posted by atikovi
How much does it snow there that a 4x4 needs snows or the roads don't get plowed fast
 
Messages
6,708
Location
SE British Columbia, Canada
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I saw this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged In this small mountainous town of Kimberley ( pop. 7,000 ) The PHEV technology is one such method.
Originally Posted by atikovi
How much does it snow there that a 4x4 needs snows or the roads don't get plowed fast
We're talking about the Purcell Mountains here. Several of the streets have an eight percent grade. No place for girly man all seasons. LOL
 
Last edited:
Messages
183
Location
Boston, MA
I test drove one last year for nearly an hour. I really, really liked it. Quick off the line, comfortable, and utilitarian. With the right rebates and situation for someone with the charging capacity/commute I would go for it.
 
Messages
6,687
Location
California
Originally Posted by Vikas
Instead of simplifying drive-train, you make it twice complicated. What can go wrong with that approach? Plug-in hybrid has no long term future. Toyota is the only one who can do that because when they double the component, they don't necessarily halve the reliability. For all other manufacturers, doubling the component counts means quadrupling the things which will go wrong.
The i-MIEV was the origin of the electric side of the Outlander PHEV, probably some parts and engineering from Mitsubishi Electric. But with Nissan now in control of Mitsu and Hitachi Automotive Systems buying out most of Honda's supply chain, the new PHEV system they use might be designed by Hitachi from Honda EV and Leaf tech.
 
Top