Outdoor AC condenser - tilted

About a 2 years ago, I had a new furnace and outdoor unit installed. The outdoor unit is now out of level. (The new unit is larger than the old, so they laid down runner/crusher type stone underneath.)

Is 2 years too long for this to be handled at no cost to me, or a discounted price? (This company has a good rep - I paid a premium and didn't take the lowest quote.)

Call them and find out. Being level allows proper drainage, lessens strain on refridgerant lines and is better for the compressor. After two years, it would be a good idea to have a seasonal clean and check and I am sure they will level it out. I have had to level mine a few times in the last fifteen years. I used a couple old shingles folded up to level it up.

We have a service contract of 2 Trane heat pumps. It's about $350 a year for both. But they will come and repair quickly since I am an existing customer vs being put on the list to get to. They clean and check it 2X a year. They have meters to check things out. While I could check the capacitors myself I could not easily check the refrigeratent level. Also they provide free labor if I keep the service contract for any warranty work. Trane has 10 year parts warranty.

I have old concrete slab under mine. Moles/ants and sandy soil it was tilted towards the house so rain would put water toward foundation/basement by the chimney. I basically dug out some, jacked it up a bit and put more soil under to pitch away from house. Not drastic but drains away now.

I called them - quoted $625 to level it out plus the "dispatch" charge for today. It's about an inch to the left. As Lubener point out above it is starting to pull on the refrigerant lines, so I probably need to do something before summer. I have to check the paperwork - they said it's a one year installation warranty.

I'm going to get another quote. This shop is notoriously expensive.

Is it hard to level yourself? I used to make sure mine were for minor adjustments. I might be crazy but I believe it needs to be level for proper compressor lubrication. Though yours seems at an extreme that it's pulling on the lines. Hard to know without photos. $625 is OBNOXIOUS and freaking nuts for them to tell you after giving them your business to do a minor fix for something they installed.
Unreal... good luck but I wouldnt let it go uncorrected.

Is it hard to level yourself? I used to make sure mine were for minor adjustments. I might be crazy but I believe it needs to be level for proper compressor lubrication. Though yours seems at an extreme that it's pulling on the lines. Hard to know without photos. $625 is OBNOXIOUS and freaking nuts for them to tell you after giving them your business to do a minor fix for something they installed.
Unreal... good luck but I wouldnt let it go uncorrected.

Yeah - I gotta fix it, but just can't figure out how to do it. Off to youtube probably while I wait for another quote.

It's on a concrete pad (like a big paver). I can't figure out how to get under and lift. The pad doesn't look that thick - and I could see me breaking it, or the refrigerant lines.

They are not heavy. Have someone pull on the top to tilt it while you push something underneath the low corner.

Use a shovel to lift the pad up and push some gravel under it. Not hard and certainly not $625 worth of work.

They are not heavy. Have someone pull on the top to tilt it while you push something underneath the low corner.

Yeah - I think this is the plan. I am over-thinking it.

Thanks for talking me down out of the tree guys.

Back