original '05 Chrysler trans pan gasket material ?

We bought our '05 Pacifica late in with 53k miles & have put another 12k on to this point. We're not having any specific issues, but i was thinking about changing the transmission fluid & filter soon. From outside it looks like the pan was last sealed with black RTV silicone
- does that suggest that the pan was likely previously removed?
I'm guessing that the original assembly would have been with a rubber gasket and that no excess material would be showing outside the edges of the pan...
confused.gif

That trans pan was sealed with RTV from the factory. Dont remember if the original RTV was black but the 4 speeds never had a factory pan gasket. The silicone is visible around the edges on one that has never been open

Buy a gasket or get a new filter that has a gasket. Get an inch pound torque wrench. There are too many variables with RTV. Wait time, bead thickness, contamination, coverage amount.....

Fel-Pro makes a gasket for that car, but it didn't come from the factory with a real gasket, only RTV

Also, if your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. It will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

Use a gasket when you do it. If any atf drips onto your silicone before it has cured it will make it leak. When they use silicone at the factory the trans is empty and upside down.

thumbsup2.gif

already have the Mopar ATF+4 & a new gasket/filter to do the job.
just wondering after seeing that excess silicone if it was original or had already been changed.
now i know
and i was right about where to ask!
Thanks, all

cheers3.gif

manual instructs to use the sealant as recommended by clinebarger
Reinstall pan using new Mopar Silicone Adhesive sealant. Tighten oil pan bolts to 19 N·m (165 in. lbs.)

is that about the right torque setting to use if installed with the gasket, rather than the sealant?
(instructions with gasket read, "tighten to manufacturers specs")

Originally Posted by clinebarger
You will need Mopar ATF Silicone Adhesive sealant part# 5010884AD, It is specifically formulated to handle exposure to ATF.

Thanks Cline!

Originally Posted by visitor

is that about the right torque setting to use if installed with the gasket, rather than the sealant?
(instructions with gasket read, "tighten to manufacturers specs")

I guess that must be right, since it said to use mfr spec. Honestly, I just snug em up good with a short 1/4" ratchet, making sure to tighten them evenly. I also check them after a few heat cycles, and they can usually stand to be tightened up a bit.

I'm going to guess that using a gasket will require less foot pounds, maybe around 9 or 10? 14 ft. lbs. would probably ruin it. With sealant, you more or less end up with metal to metal, which is different than a spongy gasket.

I have a nice inch pound Snap On electronic Tech Wrench at work and I ruined a good Felpro tranny gasket with a rookie mistake years ago. I torqued it initially to the spec'ed 9 foot lbs. and then went around again. What seemed to happen is that the gasket relaxes after the initial torque process and you can re-torque it again (and again) up to the spec'ed foot lbs.. You end up crushing, pinching, and deforming the gasket near the bolts. If you want to use a torque wrench, I'm thinking it is best to tighten it to the lowest spec. given to get them all even. Look for leaks and then just tighten them up equally, i.e., 1/4 turn +/- if needed. Many do not use torque wrenches for this operation.

Felpro tranny gaskets are a notch above what usually comes in many filter kits. They are very robust and come packaged flat, not all folded up.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
that must be right, since it said to use mfr spec.
i'm thinking, though, that this a general instruction possibly based on most mfr specs being based on originally using a rubber gasket
Originally Posted by doitmyself
guess that using a gasket will require less foot pounds, maybe around 9 or 10
that's about where i was leaning as well

smile.gif

ended up using the rubber gasket, keeping the final pan bolts torqued @ ~ 9 ft-lb, which seems to have sealed it up fine

hasn't been a whole day yet, though...

f.y.i.- i used a Dorman # 265-832 pan with drain plug, substituting a metal/rubber plug gasket for the supplied copper washer. There are plenty of posts about that copper washer leaking & people having to torque that plug down to 50 ft-lb to seal it up.

Thanks for the consideration.

34.gif

Back