Ordered case of M1 LV ATF for my 2017 Ford Fusion

Originally Posted by paoester
krismoriah72, Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not officially OEM-qualified (Ford). Its probably OK. Valvoline says go ahead and put it in any Mercon LV or Merconv V application like yours.
(If you have the Aisin F21 6-speed automatic they were using in some 2012 Fusions that year, you need a WSS-M2C924-A spec transmission fluid, not the Mercon LV).
I'm guessing you have the Ford 6F35 6-speed automatic, which calls for Mercon LV.

I would just use Motorcraft Mercon LV for a 6F35 tranny. You can get it pretty cheap at autoparts stores and I think walmart has it. Then you have the same stuff Ford used in durability testing, so its good.

If you have the Aisin F21, then "Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid" is the one you want. Not sure if you have to go to a dealership for that.
Or, you can just trust Valvoline and get the MaxLife for about any non-CVT automatic tranny on the planet.

I would go with Valvoline. There is a reason why Valvoline is recognized world-wide brand associated with high quality.

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
Interested in how well you like the Mobil HP LV

I put in today and have driven about 20 miles and the trans seems to shift great. Will know more about the M1 LV in a few hundred miles.

I have now run about 400 miles in the 2017 Fusion since a D&F using M1 LV ATF and the shifting is very smooth up and down. I was able to drain out just over 3.5 qts, which I think is about half the fluid in the trans.

Originally Posted by tig1
I have now run about 400 miles in the 2017 Fusion since a D&F using M1 LV ATF and the shifting is very smooth up and down. I was able to drain out just over 3.5 qts, which I think is about half the fluid in the trans.

Glad it's working out for you. Are you going to do another drain and fill or just run it awhile?

Originally Posted by panthermike
Originally Posted by tig1

Glad it's working out for you. Are you going to do another drain and fill or just run it awhile?

I will run the ATF for 20-30K then do another D&F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dan_erickson
Tig, How do you feel about using this fluid in let's say a 2015 Honda Accord V6 ?
2011 Fusion Sport with the AW F21 trans?

Does the Fusion have the 5 speed or 6 speed? If it's the 6 speed then I would go with it. I have the 5 speed in my 2007 Fusion and I have used the regular M1 ATF for around the last 225K. It still shifts great up and down. As for the Honda recommended ATF find out the vis for 100C. If it's in the range of 5.8-6.2 I would use the M1 LV HP. If higher then the reg M1 ATF. Looks like your 2011 Fusion with the AW F21 trans takes a LV ATF>

Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience.I also use Mobil 1 synthetic LV ATF HP in my car,ford 2015 kuga(The European model of escapeï¼ï¼ŒThe gearbox is 6F35,too.

I spent a lot of time working on this ATF.I'm sure Dexron HP is compatible with Dexron VI (Mercon LV).

[Linked Image]

M1 LV HP ATF uses Afton Chemical Corporation's additive package, HiTEC 3491 B, with PAO base stocks, It is the most advanced ,

[Linked Image]

The content of additive package is 23.57%.(Source:GMW16974-2017 DEXRON ® High Performance Automatic Transmission Fluidï¼

[Linked Image]

M1 LV HP ATF uses 60% to 70% of the Group III+(GTLï¼ base oil(Source:M1 LV HP ATF Safety Data Sheetï¼ï¼ŒSo it has a long life (Source:wikiï¼
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jia_di
Mobil 1 synthetic LV ATF HP is the best ATF ï¼

So can be used in Dex VI app ?
That's pretty much MLV

If there were any flies on Tig, they'd be paying rent

laugh.gif

I'm curious to know if the Mobil1 LV ATF can be used in DexVI applications as well. So far I have yet to see GM backspec this fluid so I don't think it can be used in a DexVI tranny.

FWIW, I tried Valvoline Maxlife ATF back in 2015 in my ‘08 G5 with the 4T45e and boy did it start slipping and shift flaring between shifts. Didn't take but
I am curious about this new Mobil1 offering though.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.I also use Mobil 1 synthetic LV ATF HP in my car,ford 2015 kuga(The European model of escapeï¼ï¼ŒThe gearbox is 6F35,too.

I spent a lot of time working on this ATF.I'm sure Dexron HP is compatible with Dexron VI (Mercon LV).

[Linked Image]

M1 LV HP ATF uses Afton Chemical Corporation's additive package, HiTEC 3491 B, with PAO base stocks, It is the most advanced ,

[Linked Image]

The content of additive package is 23.57%.(Source:GMW16974-2017 DEXRON ® High Performance Automatic Transmission Fluidï¼

[Linked Image]

M1 LV HP ATF uses 60% to 70% of the Group III+(GTLï¼ base oil(Source:M1 LV HP ATF Safety Data Sheetï¼ï¼ŒSo it has a long life (Source:wikiï¼
[Linked Image]

This is very interesting information. Lots to think about now since Mobil 1 tech line emailed me back with a NO for use in my Fords that require Mercon LV fluid.
Thanks for the info !

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is very interesting information. Lots to think about now since Mobil 1 tech line emailed me back with a NO for use in my Fords that require Mercon LV fluid.
Thanks for the info !

微信截图_20200720052551.png

the history of Dexron VI&Mercon LV
微信截图_20200720052653.png

I am using dexron hp on ford kuga(ford escape, Ford asks car owners to use mercon lv ATF in kuga ). dexron hp is very good, shifting is very smooth. 4000 kilometers have passed ,everything is good!

Because dexron hp can replace dexron vi, and dexron vi is almost equivalent to mercon lv (they are all used in the same gearbox, the 6T50 developed by GM, GM shared the 6T50 technology with Ford, Ford called 6F, including 6F15 6F35, the ATF used by Ford on 6F is called mercon lv)

I'm curious to know if the Mobil1 LV ATF can be used in DexVI applications as well. So far I have yet to see GM backspec this fluid so I don't think it can be used in a DexVI tranny.

FWIW, I tried Valvoline Maxlife ATF back in 2015 in my ‘08 G5 with the 4T45e and boy did it start slipping and shift flaring between shifts. Didn't take but
I am curious about this new Mobil1 offering though.

微信截图_20200720052551.png

微信截图_20200720052653.png

I am using dexron hp on ford kuga(ford escape, Ford asks car owners to use mercon lv ATF in kuga ). dexron hp is very good, shifting is very smooth. 4000 kilometers have passed ,everything is good!

Because dexron hp can replace dexron vi, and dexron vi is almost equivalent to mercon lv (they are all used in the same gearbox, the 6T70 developed by GM, GM shared the 6750 technology with Ford, Ford called 6F, including 6F15 6F35, the ATF used by Ford on 6F is called mercon lv)

Of course there is having the OEM approvals compared to “recommended“ …
I know of at least two brands of ATF sold in the USA having both Dex VI and MLV approvals and have used one of them in a Fusion, a Cruze, and a GMC truck.
Also in a couple transfer cases … wonder If Dex HP would not be an excellent transfer case fluid …

Back