Opinions on E-Core filters

Wanted to get every bodies thoughts on Champion labs e-core filters. I'm familiar with the Delco and the Champ lines. They might be the same for all I know. I have no data to back this up but I feel like the open center tube design allows for better less restricted flow. Also I've seen evidence where the adhesive that bonds the media to the end cap seems to bond better to the fiber caps than to metal ones. I'm running a Champ PH820 on one of my Ford trucks now and the ADBV seems to be holding up. I know there are better filters out there but e-core filters seem to be a good balance of quality and cost.

I personally wouldn't use it. When I used the E core filter (PF61E) on my old 1999 Deville, sometimes the oil light would flicker at idle. I switched to a different filter and never saw the oil light again with the engine running.

Wanted to get every bodies thoughts on Champion labs e-core filters. I'm familiar with the Delco and the Champ lines. They might be the same for all I know. I have no data to back this up but I feel like the open center tube design allows for better less restricted flow. Also I've seen evidence where the adhesive that bonds the media to the end cap seems to bond better to the fiber caps than to metal ones. I'm running a Champ PH820 on one of my Ford trucks now and the ADBV seems to be holding up. I know there are better filters out there but e-core filters seem to be a good balance of quality and cost.
Use the PF63E often for 5k runs … ADBV holding every time …
When I cut them open … see no issues at all …(think they are Champ made)

When the e-core style filter first came out, the plastic tube
had the openings to large and in some case, the filter media
pushed through.
The recent products with e-core have smaller grids and there's
no problem with media pushing through and failing.

My 2¢

I tried an ACDelco e-core on my 2001 Suburban. Oil pressure gauge flickered at idle and generally was lower than before. Switched to a Wix filter and it went back to normal and no more vibrating of the oil pressure gauge needle at idle. Other people have had similar experiences. I don't tht they are bad but based on this I'd prefer something different.

The design structure was updated a while back. No issues now whatsoever, plus it’s similar to the average cartridge filter.

Ive used the Supertech and AC Delco E filters many times issue free.

I tried an ACDelco e-core on my 2001 Suburban. Oil pressure gauge flickered at idle and generally was lower than before. Switched to a Wix filter and it went back to normal and no more vibrating of the oil pressure gauge needle at idle. Other people have had similar experiences. I don't tht they are bad but based on this I'd prefer something different.

Interesting. The oil bypass is in the vehicle itself on these right?

If the media is wire backed it should not be a problem. There is evidence that suggests that some Champ made filters are using both wire backed synthetic media and E-Core center tubes.

Ive used the Supertech and AC Delco E filters many times issue free.

Same here.

Have used the ACDelco PF52E and the Supertech equivalent many times. Have a ACDelco PF52E that's been in use for one year now on a GM 3.1 engine. Some time this month I will get it off, and if time permits I will post some pictures.

That’s one from ten years ago. Possibly don’t count.

If this is such a worry then I would run a filter with louvers. You will get great flow and no chance of filter media blowing through the cage.

The problem with louvers is that they're often not formed properly. Too many of them aren't opened up as much as they should be.

Hastings/Baldwin is the only company that knows how to make louvers, but they use a different center tube design.

The problem with louvers is that they're often not formed properly. Too many of them aren't opened up as much as they should be.

Hastings/Baldwin is the only company that knows how to make louvers, but they use a different center tube design.

Just like eCore center tubes improving over time, the manufacturers are learning better how to form louvers. Still can find a few filters wtih choked down louvers, so it's important to inspect a louvered center tube before buying or using.

Wanted to get every bodies thoughts on Champion labs e-core filters. I'm familiar with the Delco and the Champ lines. They might be the same for all I know. I have no data to back this up but I feel like the open center tube design allows for better less restricted flow.

All an eCore center tube gives is a hair less delta-p across the filter. It really doesn't give more flow because the PD oil pump just simply forces the same volume through if the resistance is a hair more.

Like the e core design.
My daughters BMW has a plastic cage and replacable filer cartrage that lasts my years and many filter changes.
Never a problem.
No reason e core should not last

Here are two major failings with the original E-core design; I cannot address the newer design as I have not seen it.

1) The Center tube diameter is too large and it takes away substantially from filter media area that can be packaged into any specific form factor.
This is an important consideration with the small dimensioned filters.

2) The polymer cage design has sharp corners on the cage that can cut and tear wet media. There is also insufficient radii at the lateral and vertical cage member intersections that can fail under high loading. These modes of failure have been presented here and in other forums in photographs and backgound text from field service units.

I seek out non-ecore Champion Labs spin-on filters for may problematic applications, and I have had universally good service out of all of them.

- Ken

I would call this assertion a "complete guess" . The forming may vary, but I have not seen an extreme case where I would suspect the louver ports would be the primary restriction in the overall design. Given the high louver port count in the center tube, I cannot see this as an issue though it is constantly repeated here. The filter media remains the primary restriction.

Back