Opinions on Cooper Discoverer CTS for SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across these for a decent price due to a $75 rebate Cooper is having.

Any experience with these? These will go on a '06 Honda Pilot AWD.

Also, I noticed some tires have white letters. Are these white outlined letters on one side or both sides of the tires? I prefer the black wall and would perhaps mount the white letters on the inside.

Thanks

Yes, the white letters should be on one sidewall only. For what it's worth, Consumer Reports evaluated these as part of their all-season "light truck" tires (even though they tested a P-metric size) and found them very good. From their testing, the only below average areas were ice braking and rolling resistance. Most other performance metrics were good. It's probably a solid buy.

If he can't, your public library will almost certainly have CR. Pick up any issue, on the last few pages will be an index of tests, find tires, find that month's issue in the stack.

I'm having a hard time deciding on tires.

The size I need for my Pilot is 235/70-16.

I'm down to these choices.

-Cooper Discoverer CTS $339 Shipped After Rebate

-Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 $381 Shipped and will include TPMS rebuilt kit for free.

-General Grabber HTS $402.80 Shipped

Honestly, it's probably down between the Yokohama's and Cooper.
Cooper has a 70k mile warranty but is a very new tire with minimal reviews. The Yokohama's have a 60k mile warranty and have many more positive reviews. I'd probably go with the Yokohama over the General due to a better association I have with the brand.

Help me out guys.

You asked about Consumer Reports. About 6 months ago they tested SUV tires. The General HTS was top rated. I put a set on one of my companies Explorers and they have been fine. Ride, handling and braking are good. My work Explorers have Michelin Cross Terrains, BFG Long Trails and now the HTS.

When I replace another set I am going again with the HTS. Wear seems it might be under 60,000 mile factory spec...and they are balanced every 5,000 miles. Alignment is kept up as are air pressure. They are riding a bit harder as they are now about 1/2 gone.

No snow or ice experience. Rain was no problem.

BTW the Generals scored 80. The Cooper CTS 68.. Geolander HT-S 67

Tenderloin, how were the BFG's and were they the regular long trail (all terrainish truck tire) or long trail touring (more of a crossover tire)?

Thanks for the oil deals over the years, by the way.

bepperb Thanks...The BFG were the older Long Trail TA, not the newer Long Trail TA Tour.

Spartuss I can't state the HTS is the best tire out there or the best for you. IMO they are a very good tire especially for the money. The others mentioned I bet would also service you well. Good luck

If I might ask, where are you planning on purchasing them from. I didn't see it posted.

Price is right on the Cooper's but I don't know anything about them.

Heard good things about the Yoko's and the General's. Having purchased a set of Gen. HP's, last year, I wouldn't be hesitant to purchase the HTS's.

Cooper's are from Treadepot. They are currently running a $25 Instant Discount when you purchase 4 tires. Coupon Code: DCTD25

$364 + $66.52 s&h = $430.52 - $25 Instant Discount for a purchase of 4 tires - $75 Rebate = $330.52

If I end up buying the Geolander's, I can get them for $335 after rebate and that includes a TPMS rebuild kit.

Last edited:
I almost bought the HP's from Treadepot two summers ago. They had free shipping at the time on all tires. General also had a $50 Visa. Would have, but I decided to go to the local DT with Treadepot price and a comparable Wally install. Even if they were close, because of the service, I would have gotten them at DT. But they beat the price. I know DT hasn't made it up your way.

Wise to shop around to get the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back