Opinions on an Air Compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be getting an air compressor for the garage. I don't need anything massive, as I am just doing things like putting air in tires, using an air ratchet to rotate tires.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 models.

Craftsman 26 gal 1.5HP comes with 2 free air ratchets. $297 with 10% off
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-gallon-air-compressor-with-impact-wrench/p-00916471000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3&s_tnt=48792:0:0&executed=true&PDP_REDIRECT=false

Husky 20gal 15amp no tools $199
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-F2S20VWD/203187354#.UokCt0PTggQ

The Craftsman feels like a very well built unit so I am leaning that way.

Thanks.

Notice how they're both oil-free models?

Edit -- eljefino beat me to it.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
That impact wrench is $50 on its own. (Sign of a junker. The well regarded HF Earthquake is $79 on sale.)

Reviews are terrible: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1-2in-impact-wrench/p-00916882000P

That husky's oil free, which usually means extremely loud and not long-lived.

I'd get neither. Look for an oiled compressor and get your accessories piecemeal.

This is good stuff, I know very little about air compressors.

Can you recommend one?

I would like a portable one as I am not going to be using it all the time.

IMHO - one that is oil-less is not a great compressor.

I would look at tank size and CFM at 90 lbs. Forget the free tools, they are probably junky. Buy the ones you want.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396622_200396622

Or just get a small tire inflation compressor for $50 and a decent cordless impact wrench.

I have a 5 HP two stage compressor and half the time I use my $50 tire inflation compressor for tires and always try my Dewalt impact wrench first to remove a stuck bolt.

Originally Posted By: stchman
So the forum suggests oil lube over oil free air compressors?

Absolutely.

Last edited:
I have an oil-less Craftsman compressor,its well over 10 years old.Runs fine,and I have used the heck out of it.Loud yes,but trouble free.Its a bigger horizontal tank model though,not a 1.5 hp job.

A compressor should be considered a long term purchase . I bought a 2HP 20 gallon Champion 29 years ago and it's done a ton of work for me including running all sorts of air powered tools and applying primer coats prepping a car for paint . A bigger tank would be better but it did the job . Hasn't seen much work the past 5 years but still there and ready to go at the flip of a switch .

If you're just an occasional user then an airless would do for the light user but lifetime really seems to vary with these .

You could also get an extra tank where you would use air tools and you would then have plenty of air to use up before the compressor came on. But the compressor without extra tank would be portable.

As far as being portable, its always better to run extra air hose than extension cords.

I have an oil-less that the wife got me. Big enough, but it's never managed to run the impact wrench properly: too much drop in the 3/8's line I have. I've thought about getting a shorter run of line, but I have to wonder if the regulator is bad on mine--not enough flow. When I need to break something loose I still have to go use leverage.

I kinda don't like it. Great for inflating tires, but I'm coming to dislike the noise of the tool itself. It seems cordless tools have come a long ways, and I probably would rather have an electric impact now.

I've been working as a contractor for the past 25 yrs. I have used various framing nail guns and have used all types of compressors. Hands down in my experience, oil less compressors do not last. If you are a weekend mechanic then they will be fine. I currently use a Hitachi 2hp, twin stack, oil lubed with a cast head. I have put several million nails through it and it is as quiet as the day I bought it. Do not use extension cords as was mentioned earlier but use more hose.

Oil free are hot, loud, and live very short lifes. if there wasn't so many idiots in the world they wouldn't make them. some people are ok with junk right out of the box.
i am not. The only option for me is oil lubed. they provide longer life, lower operating noise and temps.
direct drive is ok but belt drive is superior.

Originally Posted By: dareo
If you own your house and don't plan on moving consider something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-...50#.UokX-sQ_u30

If it uses 120 v power it is weak. I would love to have the money i wasted on a 120 v compressor back to put towards a real one.

Agreed.

I'm saving my pennies for a big one like that, rather than deal with the frustration of a small one. Impacts and die grinders and such use a ton of air, the little compressors won't get the job done.

And if I'm going to have a compressor taking up space, it may as well be a big one and it may as well be big enough to run almost any kind of air tool I want.

I've never heard anyone say "my compressor is too big."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back