OPG vs. NPD for parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know this question has probably been asked before but here it goes. Which vendor do you guys prefer for parts for a classic car? I need to buy a power steering box and power steering pump along with some other items for my 1970 Chevelle SS 396 big block. I am a bit more comfortable buying stuff from a well known vendor in case there are issues down the line. I live in Florida so I know about NPD being local but that's it. However, they do seem cheaper on many things than OPG not that that's a good thing. Car is currently in the shop so I am waiting to here what I need as I am thinking about getting a more up to date steering box with a better ratio. Before some ask I have posted this question on Chevelle forums but opinions are appreciated!

What is a NPD and an OPG? I've only dealt with Classic Industries, and they don't support Chevelles.(really?)

Last edited:
NPD (National Parts Depot) is a nationwide company and I've only had good experiences with them, though I was ordering parts for my '94 Ranger STX. The parts they had for it were typical aftermarket, mostly from Taiwan, but it was all good fit and as described. They had the best price by far on a correct color dark argent front bumper for it. I had no issues at all with the ordering process or shipping. The bumper has been on the truck, which is always parked outside, for almost 5 years and looks like new.

Their Ranger and S-10 catalogs are more or less just a clearinghouse, but the catalogs for the platforms they specialize in are pretty good. They sent an F-Series catalog with my Ranger parts and there were many hard to find and new old stock parts in it.

OPG if you're restoring otherwise any local place will be ok. Seems like OPG receipt shows customer cares about restoration and pays attention to detail. I worked on a rare Mustang GT500 Shelby for a customer and he ordered everything from OPG cause of this. If your sure it is a true SS396 and plan on keeping it original go with OPG.

Had great luck with NPD. For steering components, really consider TurnOne. I have no association with them, but they make some of the best boxes out there. So many of the NASCAR teams use the boxes and their pumps. That being said, theirs probably wouldn't look "stock" since they are usually used in performance applications.

All depends on what car I'm buying parts for. For instance, I have a hotrod Camaro. I buy 95% of the parts from F-Body exclusive parts distributors. I have bought a few things from Year One because I can drive 30 min to them and pick up the part(s) to avoid shipping. Also picked up all my sheetmetal at Goodmark Industries in Lawrenceville GA because I get jobber prices...plus saved on shipping costs.

Been on car specific sites. Seems like there is really no place that is well recommended. Its a shame!

Have your parts rebuilt by a reputable company like TurnOne, Don't buy that rebuilt junk which is likely reboxed Cardone! You can thank me later.

Call them to see what your options are as far as different ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back