Opened Oil Question

You laugh, but I do, I even have a spreadsheet of the oil I have and have what vehicle to use it on, but don't have the sheet handy when I do a change.
Maybe I need to add the oil date on the sheet as well... :unsure:
I also have a spreadsheet but I guess my stash is not as large and diverse as yours. I kind of know who’s next!

I agree a long time. Since my dads car is an oil user we usually have a couple extra quarts on hand and usually uses half a quart in a couple weeks so I pour it in and wait sometimes it doesn’t so the oil sits for awhile. One time I bought one of the 6 quart Havoline boxes and I put 5 quarts in and had misplaced it so I didn’t use it till I found it again about 2 years later and it was fine to add to his car and didn’t damage anything so I say a long time as well.

You laugh, but I do, I even have a spreadsheet of the oil I have and have what vehicle to use it on, but don't have the sheet handy when I do a change.
Maybe I need to add the oil date on the sheet as well... :unsure:

I have 4 vehicles, 2 motorcycles and an assortment of small engines. I use a black sharpie marker and write on the side of the bottles and 5qt oil jugs which car/engine it is good for. This way, the correct oil gets into the vehicle if my wife or kids check the oil and need to top off. When a bottle/jug is opened and not fully used, I'll use the sharpie and put "OPEN" on the bottle. The opened bottles get used first at the next oil change. My stash is not that large, so I have it on a shelf in the garage in order from oldest to newest, sharpie marks facing out. No spreadsheet needed.

I do this with ATF, PS and brake fluid too. Brake fluid also gets a date when opened.

My oldest opened oil in the garage is typically the lawnmower/generator/roto-tiller oil. I'll buy a 5qt jug of oil and the engines suckle off that for a number of years worth of oil changes until empty.

Reactions: JC1
I currently have a 5 qt jug with about one qt each of: Quaker green bottle 10w-30, PYB 5w-30, and 2 qt SuperTech synth 5w-30.
One more qt and I'll have enough for a "free" jug.
The Quaker is from when I had a 1988 Accord, which I sold in 2008.

Back