One way to "fix" a loud vehicle exhaust

One time I put a tailpipe whistle inside my friends tailpipe. Boy did that thing make a racket when he started it up

OEM exhaust system.Who in their right mind wants to be going down the interstate at 80+ with all the whopping and popping and banging aftermarket exhaust systems produce? Not flatulent Hosteen.

I think it's a staged photo because I believe Great Stuff would exit the pipe "more fully".

The little bit which did exit the pipe seems low to the bottom of the pipe.

Yes, yes, this could have been just the leftover in a can which was used on a job...etc. etc.

Great stuff melts. All you need is a coat hanger to poke some holes in it. Then just drive.

I would suggest waxing the back of the car first, little melted bits and soot come out. Hard to clean

DAMHIK

Rod

I agree this behavior is definitely risky, but may be worth the risk for some people. Over the years I've had several experiences with neighbors that like to make noise. I try to pick my battles and only said something when the behavior was exceptionally bad. The times when I decided to talk to them about it, like an adult, never once had anyone said, "Oh, I didn't realize my exhaust noise was such an issue. I'll take care of it. Thanks for talking to me directly." The universal response is, "go F*** yourself!" So there is your answer for anyone asking the question, "Why not just go talk to them?" Consider the mindset of people who behave this way: they spent extra money, often lots of it, to make their exhaust super noisy, and they really like it. So, talking doesn't help. And sadly, calling the police rarely helps.
It's fine to have a noisy exhaust as long as you are not romping on the throttle in residential neighborhoods. Have some respect and consideration for other people's homes. If you want to make noise, go out on the open highway or find an industrial/commercial area and make all the noise you want... do it anywhere people are not trying to sleep or enjoy some peace in their homes. But here's the rub: people with loud exhausts are desperate for attention and they aren't getting much attention in industrial or commercial areas. So we get to be awakened from our peaceful sleep. Thanks.

Done by a noob. Everyone knows you're supposed to put a long enough piece of hose on that can of expanding foam, to get it WAY up in there where you can't see it. Great stuff doesn't melt if you don't know it's there and the engine can't run.

I agree that talking to someone about exhaust, or their ****ing ridiculously excessive LED retrofit headlights, or their stereo, etc, does not work. They knew ahead of time what the result would be and did it anyway with no regard for anyone around them.

Fortunately headlight lenses are now made of polycarb and easy to drill into to improve their road worthiness. Mufflers can have a similar repair strategy done to them if you have enough expanding foam.
wink.gif

Loud stereos are the biggest problem of the 3, more effort to solve.

My exhaust is loud...on purpose. I paid for it, I like it, and its my ride. I do make an effort to be reasonable in my neighborhood....but i also live on a street where a set of open headers or a burnout is not frowned upon, and is cause for the neighbors to come share a beer. On any Saturday morning, I can see a Coronet with a 440 and sidepipes, a big block 84 Chevy, a 54 Ford with Smithys, and a pretty nasty Powerstroke. No one calls the cops, no one throws a fit, and life it good.

I have also figured out that there are folks who don't like anyone having anything they don't like....and nothing you can do will make them happy. Just the sound of a good exhaust and a rowdy cam makes them throw a hissy...seems like there are more than a few on this forum.

Seems way over the top and to dare someone to try and catch them (as if they cannot be caught in this day and age of miniaturized and cordless everything) is arrogance at its finest. We won't even mention the risks associated with unauthorized and malicious tampering with someone else's property all the while trespassing...

There is nothing more wonderful than the sound of a well tuned, conventional V8. While I like the sounds of many other racing engines, the V8 is the most pleasing to my ears.

The worst sounding engines, to me, are large V6's.

I would like to do that to most Harley riders around here. Everyone of them seem to think they need to sit at a stop light and blip the throttle then take off like a rocket blasting your ear drums in the process. I don't care if you have a loud exhaust but don't cause me hearing loss in the process. And I am not exaggerating on having had them cause pain in my ears. If I hear one of those morons coming I roll up the windows so they don't hurt the kids ears.

I have had loud exhausts before and got tired of it. I was polite enough not to blast unsuspecting people though.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
None of this would happen if people would drive with legal exhaust and park vehicles they care about in a garage.

Or if more vandals got shot.

Have moderately loud pipes on the 77 in my sig. Am respectful of others and have had no complaints. Also have security cameras and if some ignorant coward damages property, plan a will be a law suit.

Back