One license plate in a Two-Plate State

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I'll also say that I don't really mind the Unbridled Spirit plate either, it's just a bit too plain to me. Truth be told, I didn't mind the smiling sun that much either, but I know a LOT of people who hated it. Personally, I'd have thought the state would have toughed out the normal 8-year cycle considering that it apparently really upped the sales of specialty plates at the time.

I came across this article some time ago: link about KY possibly switching to 3M flat plates. 3M touts a cost savings which in practice, doesn't save money. Many states that have switched from embossed to digitally printed plates report cost increasing 35% or more. https://www.leewardpro.com/articles/licplatefonts/licplate-fonts-nam-flat.html. I despise the flat plates and hope they continue with the embossed ones with any redesign.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by ammolab
Your car was legal in Kentucky the state of registration...and it was legal in all other 49 states.

The cop was an idiot or jerk, maybe both.

^^^ Exactly. N.C. Issues only one plate as well and my vehicles are legal in every state. I have a big DUKE plate on the front of my truck. ( I would most likely get a ticket in Ky for just having a Duke plate, but that's another story)! I would call his office and voice a complaint.

I wouldn't...I would much rather not get meth planted in my car.

Originally Posted by eljefino
States have what are called Reciprocity Agreements where they allow cars in from other states if they are properly registered in their home state.

I am not a lawyer, but have heard that Massachusetts doesn't honor temporary plates from other states. This sound plausible as they don't issue them, themselves. Therefore there is nothing to reciprocate.

These agreements were worked out for cars in the first decade of the 1900s. You used to have to switch plates at the MA-NY border, for example, but this was way long ago.

18 wheelers took a lot longer to come up with a multistate compact, for tax collection mostly. IFTA cured this.

Cop was hassling you. Good job keeping a straight face and even keel.

I drove to work in MA on a NH temp tag (waiting for my THAC0 plates) for about 3 weeks...nobody said a word.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Propflux01
The cop was an idiot for sure.

I'm considering moving to a two plate state this year. Whether or not I'll actually run two plates remains to be seen...

After your first ticket for not running the two plates, you'll run them after that....

After the first one? Probably not. It'd take two or three for sure.

My buddy hasn't had a front tag on his A8 since he bought it a few years ago and hasn't been stopped.

In some states, the second or third ticket means they tow the car and you walk home.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I'm also a big fan of the "Kentucky Cloud" plate, which I think got phased out in 2006. I have one kicking around, but I guess I'll need to wait until 2031.

I think the smiley plate was discontinued because of public opinion and backlash-- understandable enough, the graphic reminded me of the sun on a box of Kelloggs raisin bran, looked rather goofy on a license plate. The cloud one I liked well enough, I don't really mind the Unbridled Spirit plate, though it's sort of plain.

I remember the DMV gal telling me I just had to have one of the HMV plates in the vehicle, she didn't elaborate as to why I was given two-- I always thought it was to fill the front plate space on show vehicles that have a factory front plate mount, but then again people can just use decorative plates if they wish.

Always been curious why the county is listed on some states' plates. Here in KY, they are often incorrect, DMV doesn't give new stickers when you transfer to another owner (even one that lives in different county) or when you move. KY, Tennesse, Kansas, OH (numerical), FL (though some simply say Sunshine State IIRC), sure there are plenty others that do this. Anyone know why?

Pretty sure that in some states (FL, MS and GA...I think?), you register the car at the county level. You tag your car at the county court house, not the DMV.

Back when I lived in a one state plate, one of the vehicles I restored still had the state seal plate in the front, and I kept it on for several years.

Wonder how the front plate, stars & bars w/ GA seal, would go over these days.

I'm considering moving to a two plate state this year. Whether or not I'll actually run two plates remains to be seen...

I run two plates because how else are people in front of me supposed to see my awesome personalized license plates?

For what it's worth...
VA scooters used to be registration-less (so no plate, etc) and I called Fla DMV as I knew plates were required there.
They told me they had a reciprocity agreement with VA for 2 weeks at a time - covered my vacation ()never got stopped either - I would have thought it have stood out). I see similar legal words around CWP and such.
So, call their DMV, ask about reciprocity, and a time limit.

As someone with over 20 years in LE, from Deputy to Director of Public Safety, I can attest to what the others have said and this Deputy was an improperly trained, under-educated public servant. Your vehicle is properly registered for the state in which you reside. Happy and safe travels!! By the way, if it were me, I'd beg this idiot to issue me a citation and gladly take the day off of work to go and completely destroy him in court. It wouldn't do much good as I'm sure this clown is a well-known [censored] in his department.
We have a 12 mile highway with numerous hills and curves that goes to our rural airport. Three places on that road there is a double yellow line AND a white sign that says “pass with care”. I was behind a deputy and a construction truck with trailer going 30 in a 55 zone. We approached one of those 3 conflicted spots and when I hit that pass with care sign I passed them both on my BMW R1200R. He lit me up and pulled me over.. Yelling “you idiot YOU PASSED ON THE DOUBLE YELLOW”!
I told him the white sign is described as a “regulatory sign” in NM and it is quite legal to pass there. He kept me there 15 minutes repeating the double yellow thing, patted me down, talked on the radio a few times & finally let me go. I’m retired so court would have been ok.

They did fix that ONE sign. The other two similar wrong “pass with care” signs nearby remain.

I stopped in rural, southern Illinois to get gas(exit 130, Grayville, right on the IN/IL state line if anyone is interested
First off, plan your trips better. You are pissing away money in a high gas state. You could have at least saved a quarter a gallon if you got gas either in Indiana or Missouri.

Second, good thing you did not have your back seat loaded with Fireworks from Missouri. He would have arrested your ass, towed your car and confiscated everything, he is, that kind.

Third, learned from BLM. Should ask for his badge number!

Forth: Welcome to Illinois.

Last edited:
Back