One for the wagon lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Just spotted this in the wild. Just a reminder that we can't have have nice things in the US, at least when it comes to wagons...

In person, it's a really nice looking vehicle.
Bim8rR2MzCJCid8f6

..because everyone has to have an SUV, even if it is more impractical than a wagon. I've spent the last year trying to talk my wife into letting me get her a TSX Sportwagon...nope, wants a CRV.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
..because everyone has to have an SUV, even if it is more impractical than a wagon. I've spent the last year trying to talk my wife into letting me get her a TSX Sportwagon...nope, wants a CRV.

Same here , Wife is wanting a vehicle bigger than her 16 Civic , I suggested a TSX wagon and a Buick Regal TourX , no dice.

She Wants a big van or SUV.

Originally Posted by csandste
Everyone says it. Nobody buys it. Wish wagons were available, I'd buy one.

Yeah, you're definitely right here, and if Ford brought this into the US they'd sell one for ever 100 Escapes... That said, when I bought my Alltrack, I may have gone for this if was available.

It's not just a US thing though, wagons are disappearing everywhere.

Originally Posted by Silk
Toyota Wish wagon, as requested...

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Love the Wish! They comprise almost most all of the taxis here in Taiwan, at least in Taipei and Taichung. Pretty sure last year was the last year for production though.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Wagons!!!!

Good riddance. Not really the market for one gets smaller every year.

Clearly the market agrees with you. Personally, I can't see why anyone would buy a crossover or compact SUV over a wagon. Load height, handling, access to roof for carrying stuff..seems like wagons win on all counts. Obviously some people don't care for the aesthetics. Personally, I can't figure out why. As a Golf R owner, I think my wagon actually looks better.

Originally Posted by dishdude
No wagons!
37.gif

come on now..

you really think your GTI looks better that this car?

[Linked Image from carreviewcentral.com.au]

Originally Posted by JOD
No wagons!
37.gif

come on now..

you really think your GTI looks better that this car?

Too much junk in the trunk!
grin2.gif

Too much junk in the trunk!
grin2.gif

ha! Just added the booty pic...

just based on looks alone, I actually prefer the look of the wagon on the MK7. But, most of the cars I've owned are wagons, so I guess that's not a surprise... That said, having owned 3 different MK7's (GTI, Alltrack with a Golf R suspension set-up and a Golf R), I do prefer the handling of the 5-door Golf R vs. the wagon. You can feel the junk in the trunk over the 5 door, no question. Compared to crossover though? Not even a question for me.

It looks like going forward, Volvo will be back to being the only game in Wagontown in the US.

The VW is a nice looking wagon, sporty even. Wagon seems an acquired taste now. And being older, perhaps some nostalgia attached to it. That and the unobtainium factor. Just being honest, not a fan of the Toyota shown. Looks closer to some version of a minivan. At least in the pic.

Originally Posted by csandste
Everyone says it. Nobody buys it. Wish wagons were available, I'd buy one.

I did. First and only new car I ever bought.

I'm on my 3rd Volvo V70. All base models. I refer to the car as a station wagon just to see peoples' heads move.

Simon Templer's P1800 and James Bond's DB-5 were both available as wagons. They were called touring editions.

I had a 1977 Toyota Celica GT Liftback; California GT. Square the back end and it would've been a wagon.

Had 3 Saab 9-5 wagons in the family (2002 and 2 x 2005).

The Mazda3 comes in a Touring edition. Looks like a wagon.

I'm looking at a Stinger GTS; the next closest thing to a wagon- AWD with the ability to route 100% of the torque to a rear axle fitted with a mechanical LSD.

This is an interesting topic.

The interesting thing is how most SUVs have "mellowed" and are essentially "slightly taller, slightly tough-looking" wagons. But we call them SUVs or CUVs or whatever. Many aren't even four wheel drive.

Jeep Wagoneer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back