One arm bandit tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard it discounted and out of hand discounted the one arm bandit test is marketing only. There was a recent reference to them and i forgot the scientific reason there tests were invalid.

Unles they were cheating by using hardened or silicone impregnated steel for the prefered oil sample vs two steels that love to gall each other for the rest i would think this is a comparison of oils ability to reduce wear.

If you want to reduce the wear in your cylinder on wheel when you have cylinder on wheel wear then the results of the one armed bandit test are applicable to your application.

If your application doesn't resemble the geometry, surface speeds, and load rate of rise, then the test has no relevence.

The test, particularly in fairground applications is very variable depending on the skill of the shill marketting the additive...M1 tends to get a "throw in the cup, load it up...look at the amps", while the additive in question gets a long slow conversation with the surfaces in contact and heating up before the high pressure application.

Timken is a test designed for EP in gears and greases under prescribed conditions...snake oil salesmen can play with it's variability in a fair environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back