OLM SCREWED UP

Messages
34,429
Location
NY
Thread starter
I mentioned this before, some members might not have seen it. I have an 08 Liberty with what appears to be a screwed up OLM. I've ignored it since day 1, I bought the Jeep new. Last OCI the OLM would have had me dump the oil in 1,573 miles, today it went off at 1,839 miles. It certainly isn't factoring in time since one OCI would have been a little under 3 months, the other a little over 6 months. Driving conditions changed a bit due to CV-19, but not drastically. I find the system useless, and have no desire to check into what went wrong with it. I've done a few UOA's and determined 6K miles is the max OCI I'm comfortable with. I'll shorten this OCI to 5K miles due to CV-19 and playing it safe.
 
Messages
9,925
Location
USA
What kind of driving conditions do you have? Do you use it for deliveries, Uber, etc? Any other problems with the car such as overheating? Did you post any of the UOA results on BITOG?
 
Messages
1,423
Location
MN
Are you actually resetting the OLM when the oil is changed? Key on, engine off, press accelerator to the floor 3 times in succession. If you aren't doing that, the OLM has no idea that you changed the oil. If you are doing that, then I have no clue!
 
Messages
13,343
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Are you actually resetting the OLM when the oil is changed? Key on, engine off, press accelerator to the floor 3 times in succession. If you aren't doing that, the OLM has no idea that you changed the oil. If you are doing that, then I have no clue!
The Daimler Boys must have been drinking heavy that night, when settling on 3 floor accelerations. I'll bet one of those goofs dropped his bottle of vino between the seats and had to reach over - creating movement with his foot, when settling-on the new OLM Setting. It may have been a drunk party celebrating the name change from Daimler-Chrysler to Chrysler Inc. I think that was mid 2007, when the 2008 models were already coming on the market. I'm guessing Jeep was involved too.
 
Last edited:
Messages
14,673
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The Daimler Boys must have been drinking heavy that night, when settling on 3 floor accelerations. I'll bet one of those goofs dropped his bottle of vino between the seats and had to reach over - creating movement with his foot, when settling-on the new OLM Setting.
What are you talking about here? Heavy drinking?? At least you can reset it without tools, this is useful to those who DIY.
 
Messages
2,293
Location
NewYorkistan
I have a 15 F150 and my OLM is like a dinosaur. It is based off a 10k target of highway miles YET also time sensitive. I love the hour meter. I'm at 47k miles and (forgive I'm doing it from memory) about 1074 hours and 130"s? idle hours on the clock. Even thought I am 80% highway miles if the months click by my OLM will drop the percentage counter despite excellent driving conditions. From my experience it seeks to get you to the 7500 mile mark. Seems pre-conditioned. No science just my feelings.
 
Messages
9,925
Location
USA
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Are you actually resetting the OLM when the oil is changed? Key on, engine off, press accelerator to the floor 3 times in succession. If you aren't doing that, the OLM has no idea that you changed the oil. If you are doing that, then I have no clue!
The Daimler Boys must have been drinking heavy that night, when settling on 3 floor accelerations. I'll bet one of those goofs dropped his bottle of vino between the seats and had to reach over - creating movement with his foot, when settling-on the new OLM Setting.
GM has the same reset method in many of their cars. Same KOEO hit the gas 3x process
 
Messages
1,776
Location
Kingston
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Are you actually resetting the OLM when the oil is changed? Key on, engine off, press accelerator to the floor 3 times in succession. If you aren't doing that, the OLM has no idea that you changed the oil. If you are doing that, then I have no clue!
The Daimler Boys must have been drinking heavy that night, when settling on 3 floor accelerations. I'll bet one of those goofs dropped his bottle of vino between the seats and had to reach over - creating movement with his foot, when settling-on the new OLM Setting. It may have been a drunk party celebrating the name change from Daimler-Chrysler to Chrysler Inc. I think that was mid 2007, when the 2008 models were already coming on the market. I'm guessing Jeep was involved too.
I loved the 3 pumps to the gas pedal method, because between almost every gm and Chrysler product using that method, half the vehicles we changed the oil on that actually had an olm were just 3 pumps. Easiest thing ever for a guy working in a quick lube trying to quickly reset the oil life. Almost every other system was complicated to figure out if you hadn't done it before, except for Fords, but they still took longer than 3 pumps. Try having a line up of cars to change the oil on (about 25-30 minutes each to do it properly) and have to look up the oil life reset properly, then make fun of the 3 pump method. Lol. I'm glad these days I only change the oil on my vehicles and my girlfriend's sisters.
 
Messages
34,429
Location
NY
Thread starter
I reset the OLM properly, the procedure is simple enough, I own two Jeeps, and if it isn't reset properly the change oil soon light will come on again in very short order. I spoke to a friend who is a Jeep A-tech, his advice was to ignore it as I've been doing, it wasn't worth the diagnostic fees. With regard to driving, the conditions were up until Mid March the same as they've been for years. It gets a mix of driving most in traffic, and UOAs indicated that after 6,000 miles the oil was good. So an an 100% certain the driving conditions aren't indicating the need for an OC in less than 2K miles. As most people know I was never a fan of the OLM system, this makes me even less of a fan, clearly they can malfunction.
 
Messages
7,832
Location
Champlain/Hudson Valley
They gave you an odometer. They won't give you a Hobbs meter.....data from which won't be utilized by many an owner. They wanted to come up with something. Did they try to make it well or was it primarily designed as a show toy? What you need is an "unplug and short these two terminals" kinda fix. Something to just make it go dark forever.
 
Messages
2,552
Location
Kansas City
My 4th oil change has been the only OCI, where there was not hundreds of short 3 mile trips in that period, thanks to my retirement. The mileage on the fill was 5100 miles. During the 4th OCI there were very few times that the truck did not achieve full operating temperature(15 miles or so). The OLM read 45% when the change was done. The first change was at 2666 miles/6 months and the OLM read 26% The second change was at 5246 miles/6 months and the OLM read 22% The third change was 8918 miles/6 months and the OLM read 31% The first three OCI's I think the computer was reading the OLM data right, using time as well as the short trip conditions data. The 4th OCI was also 6 months and I feel the computer did a good job with the driving data, the OCI was 1500 miles longer, and it was in the crankcase during all the winter months. My MPG's were up 1.4 mpg for the OCI. This engine is very efficient when fully warmed up but slow to warm up. To the OP, I'd say your OLM sells oil on the side.
 
Last edited:
Messages
34,429
Location
NY
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Kira
They gave you an odometer. They won't give you a Hobbs meter.....data from which won't be utilized by many an owner. They wanted to come up with something. Did they try to make it well or was it primarily designed as a show toy? What you need is an "unplug and short these two terminals" kinda fix. Something to just make it go dark forever.
I'd rather not tamper with anything to make it go dark forever. Although 3 pumps of the gas shut it up again. LOL I would however like to be given a choice to add an OLM as an option or use the savings by passing on it for gas money. I would have opted out of the OLM and tossed the savings into the gas tank. I'll stick to the odometer and my spread sheet when it comes to maintenance, in this case I'll save a ton of money.
Originally Posted by Hermann
My 4th oil change has been the only OCI, where there was not hundreds of short 3 mile trips in that period, thanks to my retirement. The mileage on the fill was 5100 miles. During the 4th OCI there were very few times that the truck did not achieve full operating temperature(15 miles or so). The OLM read 45% when the change was done. The first change was at 2666 miles/6 months and the OLM read 26% The second change was at 5246 miles/6 months and the OLM read 22% The third change was 8918 miles/6 months and the OLM read 31% The first three OCI's I think the computer was reading the OLM data right, using time as well as the short trip conditions data. The 4th OCI was also 6 months and I feel the computer did a good job with the driving data, the OCI was 1500 miles longer, and it was in the crankcase during all the winter months. My MPG's were up 1.4 mpg for the OCI. This engine is very efficient when fully warmed up but slow to warm up. To the OP, I'd say your OLM sells oil on the side.
I could deal with that, mine makes no sense at all. Good point about the OLM selling oil, although not to me.
 
Top