Ok to change oil and NOT filter?

Recently the weather's been getting warmer, so I know it's time for my annual change on the Lexus.
After reviewing the maintenance book, it seems as though I've only driven it a paltry 2,000kms/1250 miles in the last year (since March 2019).
For oil I'm running full syn Pennzoil platinum 5w30. No leaks/burning as it only has roughly 55k miles

Since the car does it's fair share of stop and go driving, I'm thinking I should at least refresh the additive package in the oil.
Should I change the filter too? The owners manual says you can get away with doing it every other change...

thoughts? opinions?

I had a similar question on our trusty Tundra.
About 4,000 in maybe 16 months.
I didn't want to dump 7 quarts of M1 High Mileage 5w30 and the M1 filter...
Ultimately I did a spill and fill with Valvoline HM 5w30 and left the filter for another year.

Necessary? Probably not; dunno. Did I sleep better? Heck yeah.

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK but at least remove and drain the filter if its a spin-on.

That's a bad Idea, oil filter gaskets typically get compressed after a year and they aren't meant to be re-used.

Last edited:

I have done that and never had a leak.
But - about 15 years ago I did it and the old, used Fram EG gasket stayed on the filter housing base. Had a mess on my driveway after I installed the new oil filter and haven't bought Extra Guards since.

Some low end filers may split or tear after soaking on oil for 2 years. At least 40 years ago in a Mobil 1 study they did.still true, I do not know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95

That's a bad Idea, oil filter gaskets typically get compressed after a year and they aren't meant to be re-used.

Nonsense. They are made of a rubber like material and you can always tighten it a little more. If it's gotten that hard, it needs to be replaced anyway.

So what? If it's slightly compressed, you'll compensate by screwing it slightly farther on. I removed and re-used spin-ons many times with no leaks. If concerned, check for leaks after a few drives and re-tighten if needed.

You can drain most of the old oil from the housing on a cartridge filter without even taking the filter out---not that it matters a whole lot.

Nonsense. They are made of a rubber like material and you can always tighten it a little more. If it's gotten that hard, it needs to be replaced anyway.

Yeah but its just not worth it.. If I'm going through the mess of removing I'm not going to reinstall an old filter.. I'd let the oil/filter combo go another year. I have a truck that gets similar mileage put on it and I'm changing every 2 years.

Yes, you can.
The real question is should you bother?

I don't know anything about that motor, but if it is not a GDI/TGDI motor and oil does not smell like gas, I would leave it alone for another year.

Or just change both, $20-30 is not that big a price for piece of mind.

Originally Posted by nwjones18

Yeah but its just not worth it.. If I'm going through the mess of removing I'm not going to reinstall an old filter.. I'd let the oil/filter combo go another year. I have a truck that gets similar mileage put on it and I'm changing every 2 years.

It's also not worth changing the oil and then diluting it with the old oil in the filter when it's so easy to drain it. A good filter has plenty of life left after just 1200 miles so no need to replace it.

IF, and only IF you do highway runs to burn off any fuel dillution or water vapor, then I run all of mine 3 yrs, 3k miles and never had an issue or bad oil sample come back. There has been a few times it took all 3 yrs to get 3k miles and the filter just started to get surface rust on its unpainted surfaces.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
But - about 15 years ago I did it and the old, used Fram EG gasket stayed on the filter housing base. Had a mess on my driveway after I installed the new oil filter and haven't bought Extra Guards since.

I've had that happen 2-3 times in the past 1-2 years with the FU filters as well. I do oil the gasket but am probably putting them on too tight. I have to use a filter wrench (my arm strength isn't what it used to be) but I do NOT crank it down any more than many of you can do with your bare hands. I have no trouble getting them off either but I've learned to look for the gasket every time.

I do intermediate 5 k oil changes without a filter change. I don't drain it, I don't touch it. It gets changed every 10k.
Couple of reasons for this. I have cartridge filters that require skid plate removal to change..so I like to a void that too frequently. And, they are not being challenged or dirty even at 10k. The used oil leftover in the filter is not that much more when compared to what is left in the engine after a drain and filter change. More oil Oil remains in the bearings, galleys up in the heads, baffles and coating parts than is in the filter. The only all new oil change is the first oil fill. Or after a complete tear down.

Using a synthetic media filter-could probably use it until the can started rusting. A cellulose filter would make me a little nervous-they shouldn't disintegrate, but the possibility is there. I run the Ultras to death, 20K on the xB, going to be 22.5K on the MGM (both in my sig), but if I was running a cellulose or even a blend filter I think I would change it once a year. Even if I didn't change the oil too!

Back