Oils wothout Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time Valvoline and Royal Purple didn't have moly, amoung a few others, but the uoa's did not suffer, especially with valvoline. But I cann tell first hand high moly is beneficial, many ticks have been killed with it, not only in high moly oils but additives as well.

Many HDEO have 0 moly and yet they have excellent uoas. Usually, like Quattro Pete said, there are other AW that acts similarly.

People seems to focus a lot on moly content, but an oil formulation has to be looked at as a whole and not focus on one of the many ingredients.

That being said, some researches came to conclusion that moly might help timing chain wear, but so does boron.

Moly works as a solid lubricant/AW that performs 2 main function :
a )To reduce Coefficient of Friction (in mixed and boundary lubrication regimes), hence enhancing fuel economy with reduced frictional heat generation , and
b )Enhance MOFT as a solid lubricant and/or AW.

It's sort of a 'requirement' in FE low viscosity CAFE oils like xW16 and xW20 etc , not so in mineral normal viscosity grades oils like 15W40 or 20W50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
Many HDEO have 0 moly and yet they have excellent uoas. Usually, like Quattro Pete said, there are other AW that acts similarly.

People seems to focus a lot on moly content, but an oil formulation has to be looked at as a whole and not focus on one of the many ingredients.

That being said, some researches came to conclusion that moly might help timing chain wear, but so does boron.

Exactly! This reminds me of all the threads that obsess over base oils, that one oil is better than another simply because of the base oil content. Ha. Each oil producer additive packages have many different chemical substances in different quantities, with the goal being a complete package (antiwear, low volatility, resistance to oxidation and shear and other breakdown, all that stuff). Zero moly means nothing because the performance of the finished lubricant product is what matters. Thank you jbutch.

You can't conclude a lube is rubbish simply because it lacks moly. It just depends on how they balance everything (phos/zinc/film strength) synergistically, whether or not they choose to use moly. Some formulas might prefer boron for example, because it also contributes in other ways to the lube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by yowps3
Theortically are there too many drawbacks of having 0 ppm molybdenum?
Does Moly have any disadvantages?

So does Kixx oil have molybdenum or not? Which way are you going here?

Originally Posted by kschachn

ðŸ‘

It is a strangely worded question, almost a loaded question.

The great thing is there are choices for both, if you don't want moly there are oils for you, if you want some moly there are oils for you and if you want a boat load of moly there are oils for you. Read the paper out there make a choice, done.

I think the biggest surprise to me was when Valvoline for years had almost zero moly, to making a dramatic change last year to having it. Wonder what caused that change?

Originally Posted by Railrust
I think the biggest surprise to me was when Valvoline for years had almost zero moly, to making a dramatic change last year to having it. Wonder what caused that change?

SN+, LSPI issue with high calcium and one known answer is to replace a lot of calcium with a little moly.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Railrust

SN+, LSPI issue with high calcium and one known answer is to replace a lot of calcium with a little moly.

Valvoline going away from the 440 ppm Sodium additive pack was a bigger surprise to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Mikey likes it!
Err... no, that's Kix.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by zeng
Moly works as a solid lubricant/AW that performs 2 main function :

Molybdenum disulphide works as a solid lubricant, but most oils with Mo in them don't use MoS2.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
[
Valvoline going away from the 440 ppm Sodium additive pack was a bigger surprise to me.

What I read was that sodium increases the potential for LSPI. So Valvoline and other oils that use sodium had to reformulate their oils without a major sodium additive if they wanted to meet LSPI requirements.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back