Oil recommendations

Messages
553
Location
Mississippi
Thread starter
*Just bought sister's 07 Camry 2.4 cyl. 150k miles no leaks * Runs fine *Toyota took care of all maintenance...OCI's every 8-10k miles from what I can tell *Gonna chg. my own oil *No experience with this engine, what's one or two oil that you'd use for 10k oci's?
 
Messages
553
Location
MN
It probably doesn't matter what brand you use, but it'd be hard to go wrong with M1 or PP (or Valvoline, or Edge, or Supertech, for that matter). I'd use a 5w30, as it's specced for, in any synthetic. If you picked a brand name (or even if you didn't), 10k miles should be fine, assuming you don't severely short-trip it. Being in Mississippi, you shouldn't have to worry about too much cold, so the 5w30 will be more than adequate for your winters.
 
Messages
82
Location
Virginia
Just about any full synthetic 5w30 should be fine. I'm a bit partial to Castrol Magnatec in 5w30 at the moment, but you'll likely find the one you like best after trying a few different brands.
 
Messages
1,425
Location
Perris, CA
There is a defect with the pistons in these engines where they will start burning crazy amounts of oil. Keep an eye on it; mine is at about the same mileage and burns over a quart per 1,000 miles at this point and has recently started smoking under pretty much any type of acceleration. It's not from lack of maintenance; I had the valve cover off a few months ago and it looks brand new under there. The car was free so I've got a rebuilt motor (with updated pistons that are supposed to solve the problem) sitting in my garage right now ready to go in when I have the time. Keep an eye on the oil level, though. It's definitely something you should be aware of.
 
Last edited:
Messages
979
Location
Berks County/Pa.
Supertech Full Synthetic 5W30 or if it leaks/buns some oil -- Supertech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30 paired with a Fram Ultra -- Keep it simple and run 5000 mile intervals. Bang for the buck -- Supertech Full Synthetic all day. If price is not a concern -- PP/QSUD/.
 
Messages
3,122
Location
Outer Banks, NC
On a 12 year old car, why stretch the OCI to 10K even with premium oil? I'd keep it in the 6-7K mile range and sleep well at night. I'd also use a 5w-30 blend unless you know it had a steady diet of full synthetic.
 
Messages
1,954
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Supertech Full Synthetic 5W30 or if it leaks/buns some oil -- Supertech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30 paired with a Fram Ultra -- Keep it simple and run 5000 mile intervals. Bang for the buck -- Supertech Full Synthetic all day. If price is not a concern -- PP/QSUD/.
This but go the 10k. No problem.
 
Messages
664
Location
Richmond, VA area
Just go with the crowd fave around here Supertech from Wally World...really any of the big-names..it will have zero impact using "normal" 5-10K OCIs.
 
Messages
4,165
Location
WA
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
On a 12 year old car, why stretch the OCI to 10K even with premium oil? I'd keep it in the 6-7K mile range and sleep well at night. I'd also use a 5w-30 blend unless you know it had a steady diet of full synthetic.
+1..the cost savings (2 v. 3 oci's a year) is not worth it IMO. You're saving what, $20? Is that extra $20 gonna change your way of life?...This engines reached the stage where a little TLC will pay dividends. Spend the $20 on some SuperTech FS 5w30 HiMi and a house filter and do 6k mile oci's... just my 2 pennies....
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,526
Location
TX, USA
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Yeah there was a class action lawsuit on 'some' of those engines. https://www.classaction.com/toyota-oil-consumption-defect/lawsuit/ I would keep a watchful eye on consumption and not stray too far from 5K oil changes until you see what you have.
The lawsuit results in an extended warranty but it only covers up to 10 years or 150k mileage. Which in both case, the OP's vehicle is not eligible. Hopefully, the previous owner has taken advantage of the warranty extension or the engine may be one that is not defective.
 
Messages
4,168
Location
Los Gatos, CA
Did anyone mention ST High Mileage Synthetic? For 15 bones it's hard to beat. The ST filter for is like $4 I think. Personally, I would do 7K OCI, but that's just me.
 
Messages
4,165
Location
WA
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Did anyone mention ST High Mileage Synthetic? For 15 bones it's hard to beat. The ST filter for is like $4 I think. Personally, I would do 7K OCI, but that's just me.
Yeah, that's what I'd do. I mean.. one could argue the case for saving the cash by running a dino/dino blend since it's an oil user (and that's a legit argument)..but maybe fill it with the full syn and top off with a syn blend like Havoline or QS HiMi or Supreme is a good compromise..but I just can't get behind doing 10k mile oci's on a +150k mile engine that's already showing signs of dramatic wear (rings/valve seals/guides). But to each his own I guess...
 
Last edited:
Messages
11
Location
Florida
My wife's 2002 4 cylinder Camry went the first 150,000 or so miles exclusively on Kendall GT-1 5w-30 changed every 7,500 miles. At that point the valve cover was starting to weep and it smoked on startup (I assumed valve seals), so I switched over to Valvoline Maxlife which took it up to 250,000 miles when our family finally outgrew the car and we moved up to a Sienna. The Maxlife did noticeably help with both problems I mentioned, although towards the end it would burn about a half-quart per OCI. I think the important thing to do is stick with the recommended 7,500 mile OCI. In 250K miles it needed two alternators - no other mechanical repairs besides regular maintenance.
 
Messages
6,424
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by MoultrieCreek
The Maxlife did noticeably help with both problems I mentioned, although towards the end it would burn about a half-quart per OCI.
Some people on here have newer cars and would be thrilled only using that much oil.
 
Messages
4,165
Location
WA
Originally Posted by MoultrieCreek
My wife's 2002 4 cylinder Camry went the first 150,000 or so miles exclusively on Kendall GT-1 5w-30 changed every 7,500 miles. At that point the valve cover was starting to weep and it smoked on startup (I assumed valve seals), so I switched over to Valvoline Maxlife which took it up to 250,000 miles when our family finally outgrew the car and we moved up to a Sienna. The Maxlife did noticeably help with both problems I mentioned, although towards the end it would burn about a half-quart per OCI. I think the important thing to do is stick with the recommended 7,500 mile OCI. In 250K miles it needed two alternators - no other mechanical repairs besides regular maintenance.
Honestly, there's not much more you can ask for out of a quarter million mile engine. Ok, maybe 2 alternator replacements is one too many but geesh, if that's all you had to do over 250k that's being nit picky... and you squeezed another 100k out of the engine by switching it over to a HiMi formula before things got too worse. Sounds like that car served you well.
 
Top