Oil Recommendation For New Kohler

Hi just bought a new cub cadet pro Z with a 27hp Kohler Confidant engine. I was planning on doing the first oil change with 10W-30 Rotella T5 and a wix oil filter. The book calls for a 10w-30 or a straight 30 wt.

Should I consider something else...or am i on the right track?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't know "Confidant" was a series of engines for Kohler. Had to look it up!

When I had my 2010 model year ZTR with a Kohler Courage 20hp V-twin, I ran 10w30 - 15w40 in it depending on what I had on hand. Purred right along on either. You're on the right track with Rotella or any other HD oil.

Just changed mine out -- went with Super Tech HD SAE 30 weight. You will be fine with Rotella.
wink.gif

The Kawasaki FR-651v on my Z-turn gets Rotella 15w40 (or sometimes Mobil Delvac 15w40).
600 hours and still going strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bm220
Hi just bought a new cub cadet pro Z with a 27hp Kohler Confidant engine. I was planning on doing the first oil change with 10W-30 Rotella T5 and a wix oil filter. The book calls for a 10w-30 or a straight 30 wt.

Should I consider something else...or am i on the right track?

Thanks.

It'll be just fine with T5. I have the same engine, also on a Pro Z that I bought 3 years ago. I only have 90 hours on it, but no issues.
thumbsup2.gif

The filter is not super easy to change. It takes some arm contorting.

Did you get the steering wheel or lap bar model? I got the steering wheel model due to the hills on my property.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave123
Confidant is a new series been about a year or two now.

The Confidant line is 6 years old.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Originally Posted by dave123
Confidant is a new series been about a year or two now.

The Confidant line is 6 years old.

Yea where have I been.

Thanks for all the feedback. I see alot of guys run 15-40 in these things. Would i be better off going that route? Is it a better oil?

Thanks.

My oil filter is directly on top of the engine. Its the easiest oil filter ive ever seen to change. They must have changed the location.

I got the steering wheel model as well. Im pretty surprised how heavy the steering is. I thought it would be much lighter. I think im gonna try a suicide knob on the wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I see alot of guys run 15-40 in these things. Would i be better off going that route? Is it a better oil?

Thanks.

I think you would benefit from this most if you used the mower ~8hrs+ per day in extreme summer heat.

It wouldn't hurt to use it for standard residential use either, but it's hard to say if it's "better" than a good 10w or SAE30.

My oil filter is directly on top of the engine. Its the easiest oil filter ive ever seen to change. They must have changed the location.

I got the steering wheel model as well. Im pretty surprised how heavy the steering is. I thought it would be much lighter. I think im gonna try a suicide knob on the wheel.

Ah, I forgot that Cub Cadet relocated the filter a couple of years ago. Mine is on the side of engine block down low. Yours utilizes a relocation kit. Follow the lines from where yours is down to the engine and that's where mine is.

What series is yours? Mine is a 154 and have never felt that the steering was heavy. Maybe check the front tire pressure and increase them a few PSI? There are also a bunch of grease zerks on the steering components that you'll want to keep lubed.

I've been using 10w-30 Mobil1 High Mileage on my Briggs V-Twin powered lawn tractor for the past three years. It averages 30 hours per year and doesn't require any makeup oil over those 30 hours. In my case I drive a vehicle that uses the same oil in the summer, so I always have those needed two quarts of oil in the fall when it is time to put the lawn tractor away for the winter. Shopping at Walmart I find that 10w-30 in M1 HM and Rotella T5 cost about the same per quart when purchased in jugs. The only real difference is that I personally would not run T5 in one of my gas powered cars.

If your dipstick is Cub Cadet yellow like mine is making it [censored] near impossible to see your oil level, I'd recommend Royal Purple just for the ease of checking the oil. At least that's what I'm doing next season!

Back