Oil recomendation for subaru burning and making oil dirty

WIX 57712 is the oil filter that fits your Subaru and they are $4.32 from Rock Auto, minus the 5% off coupon. Change the PCV. Leaking oil is one thing but it should not be getting filthy.

Do you smell a burning smell either when you drive or turn the car off after it is fully warmed?

Come on, all Subaru owner's know that Fuji Heavy makes better cars than Toy Yota's
Toy was done making decent and boring stuff by the late 80's

They haven’t been called Fuji for a number of years now. It’s just Subaru. They are busier in the aerospace and defense sectors than they are making automobiles.

I've used Chevron Supreme conventional in a lot of cars over the years and been very pleased with the results. It would make an excellent choice for a short OCI oil. Its available at Costco in my area and with a big instant rebate a few times a year. Now I see it at Walmart and it's often cheaper than the Supertech stuff. It's a group II+ base oil with a decent additive package. The 5w20 and 5w30 weights are actually a semi-synthetic blend.

I think in parts of the country you will find Havoline on the shelf instead but I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff.

Based on your account, vehicle condition and desires, it seems to me....

Go with any brand HM ( base purchase on price) with a medium range filter ( base on purchase price) and move to a 3k OC

There is no miracle additive or secret sauce oil that will offer you any tangible or sustainable benefit in your specific condition based on your assessment of the mechanical condition of the engine so my advice is don't go chasing ghosts. Same with the filter.

Delo 5w40.

Come on, all Subaru owner's know that Fuji Heavy makes better cars than Toy Yota's
Toy was done making decent and boring stuff by the late 80's

The fact is like it or not Toyota current owns 17% of Subaru. They are increasing their ownership and I'd look to see them increase it. I'm just waiting for the Subaru to install a decent I4 made by Toyota in one of their cars. By the way Toyota uses their BRX engine in the Toyota F86 and that's the reason I won't buy one!

The fact is like it or not Toyota current owns 17% of Subaru. They are increasing their ownership and I'd look to see them increase it. I'm just waiting for the Subaru to install a decent I4 made by Toyota in one of their cars. By the way Toyota uses their BRX engine in the Toyota F86 and that's the reason I won't buy one!

Did they own 17% in 2007 for the thread starter's Subaru?

you dont show your location or driving habits!! if you are in a hotter area you could use a 15-40 oil less spread + thicker base oils are longer lasting + tolerate heat + worn engines better. i would check the subie specific forums as well

Do you smell a burning smell either when you drive or turn the car off after it is fully warmed?
I would say no. When we first got the car, it had had head gasket problems and had leaked oil on the exhaust, somback then, yes. Head gaskets do not appear to leak at the moment. There is a slight leak on one side, but i believe it to be the valve cover gasket and it doesnt seem to drip on anything.

I did change the PCV valve once, but it didnt seem to have any issues before or after. I suppose it may be worth checking it now, its got a a year or two of time on it.

WIX 57712 is the oil filter that fits your Subaru and they are $4.32 from Rock Auto, minus the 5% off coupon. Change the PCV. Leaking oil is one thing but it should not be getting filthy.
This is exactly what ive been using on the rest of the fleet!

you dont show your location or driving habits!! if you are in a hotter area you could use a 15-40 oil less spread + thicker base oils are longer lasting + tolerate heat + worn engines better. i would check the subie specific forums as well
I'm in CT, and this car is currently commuting about 30 miles each way, mostly highway. It might be a good candidate for thicker oil in the summer.

I will agree that the decades old 2.2L subaru with solid SOHC cam was their "good one" and the latest 2.5L are nothing to write home about.
But I'm finding most manufacturers large I4 are having oiling, wear and noise issues - likely due to the current "stroke it like a Big Block V8" design mentality with insane 4"+ strokes on high revving over cammed super high compression engines. Then add in VVT and that trouble.
The 2.4 in out 2005 Rav 4 was one "going" motor - suitable to a Porsche 924S. I think Yamaha has been doing cylinder head development for Toyota for a while. But that motor only lasted 2- 1/2 years and 56K miles with my wife driving it.
That's why we are in a 2 litre now. They seem to hold up better - though a bit gutless for highway merging.

Whatever I think they are all JUNK and its a roll of the dice. Our Subaru Crosstrek has been great except are a CV joint that failed early. Car is solid and drives like new. NO oil usage whatsoever. Impreza-ive.

My Accord does something similar. It burns a quart every 1k and it gets dark very quickly. I assume there is some blowby and oil control ring issues causing the burning. Given the mileage of my engine, it does not really concern me. I change the oil per the OLM and just top off as needed. I've used many different types of oils and viscosities and nothing matters. In my experience, HM oils help for leaks but not much for burning, FWIW.

My Accord does something similar. It burns a quart every 1k and it gets dark very quickly. I assume there is some blowby and oil control ring issues causing the burning. Given the mileage of my engine, it does not really concern me. I change the oil per the OLM and just top off as needed. I've used many different types of oils and viscosities and nothing matters. In my experience, HM oils help for leaks but not much for burning, FWIW.
There is a TSB on that. I don't have it close at hand. Similar issue Nissan had with the Altima. Reversion of Mineral ash in close coupled exhaust causing scoring cylinder walls. They initial blamed it on extended warmups or long idling times.

Even cleaning it might help :)

Agree, gave the pcv a good cleaning back in April on an 05 Toyota with 160k miles and the original pcv valve. After 1100 miles and many short trips the oil is a nice light color. Also put in a new Supertech air filter in April plus Shell gas at a high volume station. New spark plugs from dealer which replaced the originals. Had a new oem pcv valve ready to go in from the dealer but it didn’t fit. Returned for the correct one just haven’t put it in yet.

Back