Oil price on Amazon are all over the place !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 5 cases 5W30 for $11/case a month ago and they didn't ship it yet, I looked at Pennzoil High Mileage oil available on Amazon to satisfy my curiosity.

I saw these Pennzoil HM prices:

1. Subscribe & Save: $14.xx-15.xx 5-qt jug for various grades - This is consistence and good

2. Subscribe & Save: $27.50 6-pk 5W20, 10W30 and 10W40 - This is consistence and good

3. Prime: $15.23 6-pk 5W30 - link: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-High-Mil...il+High+Mileage

4. Subscribe & Save: $38.16, Prime: $44.89 6-pk 5W30 - link: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-55002283...il+High+Mileage

5. Prime: $25.50 1-qt 5W20 - link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0025X841M/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

6. Regular: $112.90 5-qt 3-pk 5W20 - link: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-55003817...il+High+Mileage

This price is almost 3 times the price of 3 items of number 1.

The current good buy is item number 3 $15.23 6-pk 5W30

It pays to be careful in searching for anything on internet.

It seems like it's not just oil but a lot of things. Recently I needed a new A/C compressor for my BMW, and the Denso one on Amazon was running about $250. One day I checked and it was $124, I couldn't believe it. I bought that one and immediately the price jumped back up to over $250. Amazing.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Even if you do your due diligence searching, you're not guaranteed success. Oil descriptions on Amazon are notoriously wrong, especially when it comes to the actual quantity that's included.

On top of that, Amazon prices for some products fluctuate many times per day as their super-computer runs its magic. It's to the point where using price tracking websites like CamelCamelCamel doesn't even work - by the time you receive your notification of price change from CCC, the Amazon price may have already changed again.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It seems like it's not just oil but a lot of things. Recently I needed a new A/C compressor for my BMW, and the Denso one on Amazon was running about $250. One day I checked and it was $124, I couldn't believe it. I bought that one and immediately the price jumped back up to over $250. Amazing.

I believe so, but I didn't have time to check other items so I couldn't say without proofs.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

A lot of times their pricing is all over and changes day to day. I bought a SYE kit for my Cherokee which includes a new tailshaft, tailshaft cone and assorted bearings for my Jeep's transfer case for $120. I had been shopping around for probably a month, then one day I got an email that it was on sale for $120. They usually go for $250 - almost the same thing as your compressor. It was 2 or 3 days later that it was back up to full price again.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Even if you do your due diligence searching, you're not guaranteed success. Oil descriptions on Amazon are notoriously wrong, especially when it comes to the actual quantity that's included.

On top of that, Amazon prices for some products fluctuate many times per day as their super-computer runs its magic. It's to the point where using price tracking websites like CamelCamelCamel doesn't even work - by the time you receive your notification of price change from CCC, the Amazon price may have already changed again.

3. Prime: $15.23 6-pk 5W30 - link: https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-High-Mil...il+High+Mileage

Description in the example in my original post is very clear:

Quote:
Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle 5W30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, Pack of 6 by Pennzoil

List Price: $49.82
Price: $15.23 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49.
You Save: $34.59 (69%)

Quote:
Technical Details

Item Weight 11.9 pounds
Product Dimensions 9.7 x 9 x 7.9 inches
Manufacturer Part Number 550022838

My point was that what shows up on your door step is not necessarily what was described on the website. This is especially true on some of those "deals."

My point was that what shows up on your door step is not necessarily what was described on the website. This is especially true on some of those "deals."

I didn't receive my order of 5(Five) 6-pack yet so I don't know.

It is known that third party on Amazon did screw up many orders, they shipped 1-pack instead of 6-pack as advertised. But, this time the seller is Amazon.

I will post what I will receive from Amazon for my order of 5(Five) 6-pack Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30, the total should be 30 quarts.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Check out www.camelcamelcamel.com, a great site to track Amazon prices.

Nowadays amazon changes prices on some items so frequently (numerous times in a day) that camelcamelcamel can't even keep up with notifications.

It is known that third party on Amazon did screw up many orders, they shipped 1-pack instead of 6-pack as advertised. But, this time the seller is Amazon.

I will post what I will receive from Amazon for my order of 5(Five) 6-pack Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30, the total should be 30 quarts.

I ordered that back in May. Shipping date was pushed to June, July, August, I just cancelled it this morning.

Screw it, I don't think they'll ever ship it.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
I ordered that back in May. Shipping date was pushed to June, July, August, I just cancelled it this morning.

Screw it, I don't think they'll ever ship it.

My order is supposed to ship on Aug 08 and delivered by Aug 13, they still have 4-5 days to ship it.

If I don't receive my order by Aug 15 I will contact customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back