Oil Level for an Oil Bath Air Filter

I was able to buy an old Case IH Tractor that has an oil bath air filter. The manual doesn't say much and the dealer has no idea either.

Suggestions as to what level to follow would be most appreciated! I drew a yellow and a red line for convenience....Happy driving and thanks again!

20200517_153352.jpg

Usually there is some kind of marking. A tractor web site specific to the model may give you a quicker answer.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Now for the most important question. What weight oil???
lol.gif

The most important part is to make sure the oil is extra oily.
48.gif

?? Surprising that antique type filter would show up on a Case IH. Our IH 444 tractor, which was new several years before Case and IH merged, used a proper modern paper filter.

Typical oil-bath filters usually had a stamped marking on the side of the bowl to indicated the proper level. If the level is too high, the engine will inhale the excess.

It's a 3 year old JX75T actually. Just did my 1400 hours oil change. It does a lot of short trips actually.

Bought it second hand last year. So far no real issues except for a starter solenoid that literally cracked open(Bosch part).

Yes... Surprised as well. The manual infact has a paper element but the actual filter is an oil Bath.

Before I forget, I am using Rotella T6 for the tractor (was debating if Castrol 0w-40 A3 B4).

And the cheapest 15w-40 I could find for the filter.

If this is a diesel tractor be very careful not to overfill the cup because at least in theory, you can get a runaway engine from air cleaner oil being carried over.

Regardless, if a paper element air cleaner was available for this model or if one could be adapted from something else I would buy it immediately. Oil bath cleaners depend on particle momentum driving particles into the oil from sudden directional changes, liquid oil spray washing, and a bed of media packing which is rather coarse so the oil can drain back down. None of these processes are noted for having superb efficiency in removing fine particulates.

Originally Posted by WeekendStrada
It's a 3 year old JX75T actually. ...
Bought it second hand last year. ...
Yes... Surprised as well. The manual infact has a paper element but the actual filter is an oil Bath. ...
That's odd. Any chance the previous owner was an old-timer who was unduly fond of oil-bath air cleaners, and so replaced the original filter assembly with an oil bath off something else?

Three years old isn't old for a tractor.

Last edited:
Back