Oil for my 65 mustang.

I won't need any for some time, as I have a few gallons of the old hddo oil from before anybody started to lower the ZDDP in it, but at some point I will have to start to use more modern oils. What I am wondering is if since my engine is a well broke in 65 200 ci stock engine, is it even necessary to use an oil with more than the SN amount of ZDDP?

Last edited:
The OEM cam of the 200ci doesn't really "need" additional ZDDP. It won't hurt, but isn't a necessity. The cam lobes have weak enough ramps, paired with weaker OEM valve springs, where the 800 ppm API SN/SN+ limit on phosphorus is sufficient. I will of course recommend Driven GP-1 10w-30 or 15w-40 as it is formulated specifically for such an application. Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a decent choice also.

I kinda thought that the SN limits would probably be ok, but then some oils have considerably less than the 800 limit. I guess I probably shouldn't worry about it till I am on my last jug of what I have, because by then the oils on the market will probably far different than they are now. Not to mention that I may not even be driving anymore by that time, as I have enough for at least 5 years. Since I only change it at most once a year, sometimes only every 2 years, as I only drive it about 1000 miles a year, and all warm weather, and mostly long drives.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The OEM cam of the 200ci doesn't really "need" additional ZDDP. It won't hurt, but isn't a necessity. The cam lobes have weak enough ramps, paired with weaker OEM valve springs, where the 800 ppm API SN/SN+ limit on phosphorus is sufficient. I will of course recommend Driven GP-1 10w-30 or 15w-40 as it is formulated specifically for such an application. Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a decent choice also.
I second the M1 0w-40 recommendation as it is relatively cheap and very easy to find.

the ford 6 isn't oil picky. the small block 289 and 302 might be a different story. I got lifter ticks from time to time with these engines. all my ford 200,s 250 and 170 were happy on most anything

Originally Posted by old1
I won't need any for some time, as I have a few gallons of the old hddo oil from before anybody started to lower the ZDDP in it, but at some point I will have to start to use more modern oils. What I am wondering is if since my engine is a well broke in 65 200 ci stock engine, is it even necessary to use an oil with more than the SN amount of ZDDP?
For flat tappets you want a 10W-30 or 15W-40 -- in other words an oil with a thick base oil, as the flat tappets temporarily shear the VIIs, which, as a result, cannot thicken the oil as intended. Don't worry about ZDDP -- modern oils have a better antiwear package than oils of the past with high ZDDP. Amsoil ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 is a monograde, and it's as good as it gets for a 10W-30 -- it has a thicker base oil than that of a 15W-40.