Oil filter wrench - easily one of the best purchases I've ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the CR-V's oil a few days ago but before I did I bought the Hyper Tough 1/4" drive adjustable oil filter wrench from walmart for $2.50 (link at bottom of post).

I recall the last two oil changes I've done on this car I could NOT get the filter off and I probably came close to blowing a vein in my neck trying to twist the thing off before finally resorting to stabbing it with a screwdriver. Which is surprising considering I put the thing on in the first place and admittedly I am not that strong at all.

Anyways, I tightened the clamps of the wrench onto the filter, and with the leverage from having the handle on my ratchet I effortlessly took the filter off! What usually took me easily 10+ minutes took maybe 7 seconds tops.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Adjustable-Oil-Filter-Wrench/797333184

Nice! I've actually never used that type before. I have a few of the plastic fluted ones that go on a ratchet wrench and one that looks like a big set of pliers. They both work well for different applications/spaces. Some filters can be a real bear to get off depending on the access to them and who put them on last.

This one is neat, as you turn the ratchet left the arms grab onto the filter tighter so it doesn't lose grip.

On the other hand, if you try to turn it right, the arms go out so it can only be used to remove filters.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Changed the CR-V's oil a few days ago but before I did I bought the Hyper Tough 1/4" drive adjustable oil filter wrench from walmart for $2.50 (link at bottom of post).

I recall the last two oil changes I've done on this car I could NOT get the filter off and I probably came close to blowing a vein in my neck trying to twist the thing off before finally resorting to stabbing it with a screwdriver. Which is surprising considering I put the thing on in the first place and admittedly I am not that strong at all.

Anyways, I tightened the clamps of the wrench onto the filter, and with the leverage from having the handle on my ratchet I effortlessly took the filter off! What usually took me easily 10+ minutes took maybe 7 seconds tops.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Adjustable-Oil-Filter-Wrench/797333184

Its a good concert but I think there are better versions of the design available on Amazon. But there are times when this will not fit/work and a band wrench is needed. I just keep buying oil filter wrenches as needed.

FYI: The tool is 3/8" drive not 1/4" as the OP stated.

TIP: Masking tape wrapped irregularly around the filter to enhance grip can help often.

You want wrinkles and exposed glue too. Be sloppy about it.

This isn't a trick to eliminate all tools. It helps with the ones you can get your hands on and just can't get to turn.

If you have masking tape around it can save you a trip to an auto store.

It can be a real secret weapon when helping someone with an unfamiliar car. You can SOMETIMES skip the conversation about buying a "special" tool.

Yeah it's 3/8" drive not 1/4". I'm about as sharp as a marble lol. I tried editing the original post but it won't let me.

I will be looking into that when I head down to Wally World here later this week. Thanks for the heads up!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
I will be looking into that when I head down to Wally World here later this week. Thanks for the heads up!!!
wink.gif

This same 'wrench' is available everywhere, just with a different name on it. It's no doubt cheapest price at Walmart though.

That type slips terribly on many tight oil filters, in my expiernce.

This type is the best I have ever used, in 30 years of oil changes and trying every oil filter wrench on the market...

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=oil%2Bfilter%2Bwrench&qid=1575906801&s=automotive&sr=1-11&th=1&psc=1

I have this wrench, it works great on the Frams with the grip coating or on other larger filters. On the small stock Mazda filters I used on the wifes car, it sometimes does slip quite a bit. You have to hold it while turning the wrench and once it finally grips it doesn't slip too badly but sometimes it takes a while to find the right spot.

Glad that variety works for you. I have one but it rarely gets a good grip for some reason. The one below is what gives me the best results, first time.

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by WhyMe
use this type for oil filters. never failed to take one off

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

I have one like what the OP bought. Good for many things but sometimes still too small.

Before my neighbor passed away he had one like this that'd he let me borrow. Definitely a life saver.

I've had that one for 40 years and seldom use it because it slips too often however on occasion I've had to use it and it worked, sometimes. You have to use your hand to twist it tight then use the ratchet.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
You have to use your hand to twist it tight then use the ratchet.

It probably works fine if you can swing your ratchet 90° or more but on (2) of our cars, there isn't clearance for that. Like you say, it takes two hands to use on my cars - one hand to turn it on the filter to get it tight and then hold it there while you then swing the ratchet to clamp down and turn the filter.

I have one of those -- which I purchased years ago. I used it to get a stubborn OEM filter off. I tried the ratchet strap, and it didn't work. This one started to crush the can, but it finally broke loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back