Oil extractor on Honda r18 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience using an oil extractor on an r18 engine as used in 2006-2015 Civic or 2016 to present HRV ? What brand and model extractor? Any difficulty getting extractor tubing down dipstick tube. How much oil were you able to remove? Thanks in advance for comments!

I have watched YT videos of people using them to suction transmission fluid from a pan. It leaves a fair amount behind. MACTFORDEDGE on youtube has one video and recommendation. Along with the 10-20% of oil remaining after a normal oil change, why would you want to leave even more behind. I recently sampled a new oil and within 15 minutes of changing the oil by dropping the drain plug and filter. It was contaminated with wear metals 10x increase in hard particluates and silicon. You could not see through the sample bottle even with a light.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
I recently sampled a new oil and within 15 minutes of changing the oil by dropping the drain plug and filter. It was contaminated with wear metals 10x increase in hard particluates and silicon. You could not see through the sample bottle even with a light.

How could you possibly know this to be the case?
Did you get an oil analysis completed on an oil only run for 15 minutes????

go to a real good hardware store and buy a 24" brass tube with OD 5/32" check that just fits inside the last extractor tube then
flatten the tip to mimic the oblong dipstick. I did this for my '16 Civic works great drawing hot oil.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Does anyone have experience using an oil extractor on an r18 engine as used in 2006-2015 Civic or 2016 to present HRV ? What brand and model extractor? Any difficulty getting extractor tubing down dipstick tube. How much oil were you able to remove? Thanks in advance for comments!

I've installed this model on countless Honda and Hyundai, Attach a hose and drain directly into a jug. No mess, no fuss, easy disposal. You have to get under to remove the filter so why not go one step further?

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F106N-Drain-Valve-Nippple/dp/B07D995XRF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OM5KATW12FVK&keywords=fumoto+f106n&qid=1558581475&s=gateway&sprefix=fumoto%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165

I've installed this model on countless Honda and Hyundai, Attach a hose and drain directly into a jug. No mess, no fuss, easy disposal. You have to get under to remove the filter so why not go one step further?

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F106N-Drain-Valve-Nippple/dp/B07D995XRF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OM5KATW12FVK&keywords=fumoto+f106n&qid=1558581475&s=gateway&sprefix=fumoto%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-1

You only have to get under the car every other time - and depending on the filter location may never need to go under the car at all. I don't with my ridgeline.

The extractor is way easier and incredibly fast and clean for a top side change - 12 minutes from drain to refill.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-URwerwX6U&t=148s

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
I recently sampled a new oil and within 15 minutes of changing the oil by dropping the drain plug and filter. It was contaminated with wear metals 10x increase in hard particluates and silicon. You could not see through the sample bottle even with a light.

That is what I said, or tried to say., I sampled new oil, dumped old oil and filter, ran new for 15 minutes on the highway, and sampled again. It is refereed to as Short Volume Oil Changes. This is well documented in articles and testing at Machinery Lubrication. This explains why TBN drops so quickly after a change. Engine oil testing labs, typically flush their test engines 3-4 times to get a near 99.8% clean oil and prevent fluid mixing.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by user52165

You only have to get under the car every other time - and depending on the filter location may never need to go under the car at all. I don't with my ridgeline.

The extractor is way easier and incredibly fast and clean for a top side change - 12 minutes from drain to refill.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-URwerwX6U&t=148s

This. My goal is to never go under the car again. I want to alternate between getting oil and filter changed at the local independent Honda garage and doing oil change only myself with extractor.

Originally Posted by Imp4

That is what I said, or tried to say., I sampled new oil, dumped old oil and filter, ran new for 15 minutes on the highway, and sampled again. It is refereed to as Short Volume Oil Changes. This is well documented in articles and testing at Machinery Lubrication. This explains why TBN drops so quickly after a change. Engine oil testing labs, typically flush their test engines 3-4 times to get a near 99.8% clean oil and prevent fluid mixing.

I think the intent of short volume oil changes is for industrial applications where the volume of oil being changed (sometimes hundreds of gallons) or the practically of doing a complete exchange are a challenge.

Niether of these conditions exists in your circumstance.
You are just tinkering and not producing anything of value based on your application.
But have fun!!!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back