Oil disposal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading a couple threads where some discussion revolved around container size and returning used oil pertaining to the new six/twelve quart oil in a box. I remember a couple decades ago when I would have been part of that conversation. Happily I have moved on.

oilcontain.jpg

Last edited:
That's a big tank. I just pour the used oil from the drain pan back into the new oil (gallon) containers and take it to the auto parts store for recycling. Where does yours go when the tank is full?

Originally Posted by JLTD
That's a big tank. I just pour the used oil from the drain pan back into the new oil (gallon) containers and take it to the auto parts store for recycling. Where does yours go when the tank is full?

I haul it in periodically when I reach 20-30 gallons in jerry cans to a local garage that has a waste oil burner. Much less often now that I don't have a diesel pickup that takes 12+ quarts two or three times a year for scheduled changes.

I need to find someone locally with a waste oil heater so I don't have to go to AZ.

I have a few 5 gallon jugs I use, but they fill up quick.

In the small town we live in we had three auto parts stores. One just closed down leaving us with a small non-corporate NAPA and a Carquest. None of them have ever taken used oil. Fortunately our trash transfer station has a recycling tank that's really convenient to use. There's also a Walmart that takes used oil but that's a thirty mile drive each way.

I take it to the local advance auto parts store or to a local mom and pop garage for their waste oil burner

I pour the used oil into the now-empty jug that I just used to fill my sump.
The old bottle full of used oil stays in the garage until I go to the recycling centre

My "tank" is an old, square 8 gallon water can from the U.S. Navy.

Darn thing fills up quicker than you might think.

Gets poured into the catch tank at the closest AZ or AAP.

Used to have a town used oil tank but some dimbo poured paint into it and they locked the door.

No doubt a nice piece of equipment, but I just don't need and couldn't justify such a purchase. I've kept a very old SuperTech oil jug around for years because it's an XOM product one with a wide mouth. Perfect with a large funnel. I either use it or in conjunction with the newly empty oil jug. And worst case, everyone must be able to save a couple old milk jugs when OC time approaching. As AZ is less than half mile from home, I just dump the oil on my way as part of some other errand.

If I owned a shop and/or changed oil quite frequently then I could see such a purchase making sense.

I think NY requires them to take used oil if they sell engine oil or do oil changes. Something like that.

The best containers I have found for used oil are the large jugs for cat litter. They hold 3 maybe 4 gallons.

So get a cat, he will take care of mice and you will have nice containers for used oil.

The local shop I bring oil to, I just leave the jugs full. Do not wait for them to be emptied.

The town I used to live in would take auto fluids; the new town I live in does not. I'm kinda sad as Walmart will only take waste motor oil. I should call Autozone and see if they take coolant etc--although I might feel funny going in with a bunch of Supertech bottles.
lol.gif

I have a couple 2 gallon jugs that I fill up from oil changes and bring them to Autozone a few miles away. Between cars and the small engines I service they were filling up fairly frequently. Now our local town recycling picks up used oil containers if left by the curb, and for the Euro cars I service I use FCP's lifetime warranty so the old oil goes back to them. The containers take longer to fill now because it is mostly just from my small engine work.

I use the large kitty litter jugs and take mine down to advanced auto.

Originally Posted by Bud
I use the large kitty litter jugs and take mine down to advanced auto.

I've been using 2 of the wide mouth kitty litter jugs with a molded in handle for 25 years. They nest perfectly and are stacked in an out of the way corner of the garage. An annual trip to AZ gets rid of the old oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Last time , I took the old oil to one of the O'Reilly Auto Parts stores . Used one of these .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-42003MI-Drain-Container-16-quart/44580714

I have that same wallymart drain pan and am not happy with it. Oil overshoots the lip every time messing up my otherwise clean driveway.

I have a different version of that and am also not happy with it, so I go old-school; a galvanized steel pan from my Dad's garage and milk jugs or the old oil jug if I have one. Then it goes to either Autozone or one of the sites the Illinois EPA has set up for HHW disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back