oil change tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. In my time, I've noticed Toyota and Ford being the worst offenders when it comes to engineering things so they are difficult to do yourself.

It's not a military secret that manufacturers would rather you ended up with their dealers than somewhere else. Why? Their dealers sell their parts. Other places don't.

The oil in our GS350 is kind of a pain to do itself. Why they mounted the oil filter down low, horizontal, in front of the engine? I have no idea. But at least they made a trap door in the undershield so I can get in there without having to take the whole thing down to reach the dumb thing.

Because of the difficult filter placement on these vehicles I wonder how many quick lubes and dealerships fail to install a new filter.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Because of the difficult filter placement on these vehicles I wonder how many quick lubes and dealerships fail to install a new filter.

You just struck on the very reason I stopped going to the quick lube type stores over twenty years ago. I got home from the 11 minute oil change store and I checked the level of the oil. I could see the filter below. Its was a bright sunny day no rain or puddles. The filter was obviously dirty and it didn't get that way driving two miles home.

This filter is not uncommon. Looks like the same setup on my former 4 cylinder RAV-4's.

Just buy the tool, and buy a new filter media with the disposable "tool" to predrain the cartridge.

It takes like two minutes.

Pull the cap off the cartridge, insert the drain tool to drain oil into a pan, remove the cartridge, then put it back together with new O rings, and torque it down.

The key to not making a mess is the little disposable tool that comes with a new filter to drain the cartridge before you take it apart.

I have owned the truck since new guys, just saying it sucks to do the oil on it. Stupid skid plate, terrible filter location/design. Takes too long compared to any other Toyota truck/4runner/land cruiser I have ever owned.

I did lay out my clothes prior, thanks, good tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back