Oil Change Interval

2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L Amsoil SS 5W30
10K oci with 5K factory filter change since I have a few.

2019 Honda Pilot Amsoil SS 0W20 following olm 7500 miles and factory filter. May use Fram Ultra here on out.

Normally, I just follow the recommended OCI. I have cut that in half for the first two OCs on many of my vehicles (Example: Mazda recommended 7500 mile OCI so for the first one I did it at 3750 miles and the second at 7500 miles and then I did every 7500 miles). I have a Toyota and Lexus now so I'm planning 5Kmiles OCI until 20K miles and then 10K mile OCI after that. I always change the filter when I do an oil change.

Between 5K and 7K each for our three vehicles, using full synthetic oil found by perusing the promotions subforum here. Filter change everytime. Filters range from Purolator and Bosch to Fram and M1, based on availability and price at the time.

Recently got a good deal on OEM filter cartridges for the Camry -- a six pack, as I recall--so one of those will be used tomorrow.

Amazing how many VW's out there are still going strong and most follow their OCI of 10k miles.

I go extended with UOA's to keep things in check.

Most modern vehicles will easily tolerance 5k to 7k mile OCIs on a vanilla synthetic, absent an engine problem or severe conditions. Some can go much longer. I've tried 10k once a long time ago but would not do that again without an oil analysis or two.

That said, up in the Midwest I find it much easier to do OCIs bases on a schedule rather than miles. For vehicles that get 6k-12k miles per year I change every 6 months (April and October). Vehicles that do 13k-18k miles per year, 3 changes per year (March, July, November).
This way I'm never stuck with an oil change in December, January, or February.

Short by Bitog standards.

I think BiTOG has moved the opposite way of the industry. My memory (which.can be fickle) recalls 6,000 mi conventional, 8,000 mi Blend (Schaeffer's 7000), 10,000 mi M1 and 15,000 mi Amsoil as being common here. Of course things change over two decades. Still I find it odd that as oils have improved the OCI here has moved the opposite direction. I guess it's to be expected with a lower percentage of members with expertise in the field.

I think BiTOG has moved the opposite way of the industry. My memory (which.can be fickle) recalls 6,000 mi conventional, 8,000 mi Blend (Schaeffer's 7000), 10,000 mi M1 and 15,000 mi Amsoil as being common here. Of course things change over two decades. Still I find it odd that as oils have improved the OCI here has moved the opposite direction. I guess it's to be expected with a lower percentage of members with expertise in the field.

I think GDi/TGDi fuel dilution and IVD is the reason.

Plenty of members here with expertise that set their own intervals based on how the vehicle is used, the conditions it is used under, and UOA data. I based mine on that, which happens to be short by Bitog standards. That is what I based my comment on. I read a lot of blanket statements over the years, like a good Dino oil can go x amount of miles, and a good synthetic oil can go x+y miles. Following those statements can lead some of us, myself included to problems.

I don't overthink anything, just use the oil specified in the owner's manual for the duration specified in the owner's manual.

Which means I end up using the cheapest oil that meets Ford specification on 6 month intervals since I don't ever hit the mileage anymore and my vehicle predates oil life monitors. If had an OLM I would just follow that.

A few years back when I first got the car, I definitely pushed a few 7500 mile change intervals on dino/blend though.

As long as the oil & filter can go the distance, 10kmi or 1yr seems to be a decent standard for the daily mall driver.
The longer it can go (s/he likes that) the less $$ you spend and the less time you are dealing with an oil change.

Would I willy-nilly choose the time or mi, no, use some UOA lab tests along the way to understand some things, then decide from there.

It's funny because I have extended my interval because of my time on bitog. When I joined I was a 3k guy for sure. Now I think I am wasting oil if I don't get at least 10k. Heck I am starting to think about 15k for my truck.

Dilution does not seem to be a factor for me. Most of my vehicles dilute. I will only worry if I get a report over 5% more than 1 time in a row.

Back