Oil change caused variable valve timing solenoid code?

My 2018 Chevrolet Equinox has a 2.0L turbocharged engine with 31,000 miles. I change the oil regularly (4-5,000 miles) using Mobil 1. I've had zero problems with this vehicle.

After an oil change a few days ago, when I started the engine, a message came up on the DIC saying "engine power reduced" and the check engine light come on. After restarting the engine, the DIC message disappeared but the check engine light stayed on, and the light was on when I drove to an independent repair shop (my Equinox is an early 2018 model year and is 39 months old and GM's 3-year 36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired). The engine ran fine when I drove 8 miles to the repair shop.

The shop read the code and said the variable valve timing solenoids needed to be replaced. They said they have seen this issue on older Equinox models when the customer did not put in the correct grade oil. I assured them I have always put in 5W-30 oil. Since it was a powertrain issue, it is likely covered by GM's powertrain 5 year / 60.,000 mile warranty, so I said I would take my Equinox to a Chevrolet dealer.

The shop cleared the code and when I drove home, the check engine light did not come on and the vehicle drove great. It has been 3 days and the check engine light has not come on and the engine runs great. I now hope this was a one-time issue that has gone away.

Does anyone on this forum know why an oil change would trigger this code? Has anyone had a similar experience with an oil change giving what seems to be a false alarm about variable valve timing solenoids?

I'm not a rocket scientist but that sure does not sound logical at all. If you were a grade low or a grade high no way that engine has the tech to notice the difference and throw a code. Much wiser than me will sure chime in.

Pretty sure those solenoids have screens that get plugged up. You can take them out and clean them, but they also go bad too.

No argument as I am unaware. But for a ANY 2018 vehicle to need a solenoid cleaning is pretty absurd to me. Not challenging you as I'd like to learn something here if it's a real deal how to clean.

Probably the few seconds oil pressure was reduced from the oil being drained then filled triggered that but I'm shocked they don't account for that.

^ I'm not a certified mechanic, but I am thinking that the combination of a new oil-filter (filled with air) and changing the oil (allowing oil to drain from the pick-up tube and air to get in) produced a few seconds of air instead of oil going through the system. I think those variable valve systems use pressurized oil to actually move the parts and if the oil pressure was not there even for a brief time the system may sense the improper operating fast enough to trip a code. I would bet 10,000 to 1 that there was absolutely no damage done. Just a very brief malfunction due to lack of oil pressure and the system was fast enough to sense the malfunction but not smart enough to know it is something that can occur for a brief time after an oil change.

If it does not happen again until you change the oil again, chalk it up to something meaningless that can happen for a brief time after an oil change.

My wife's '11 Equinox had a code for an exhaust solenoid. I took it to the garage that works on it and asked what it did and they didn't know for sure. But one thing I know is, the car was serviced by the dealer it came from for 35k miles, before my wife bought it. Using chevy approved dexos oil I trust. And I only use oils that say dexos on the bottle. So if the problem is possibly oil related, how can they require you use their "approved" oil? Never mind that the car eats 5w30 wt dexos oil. I would have to add 2 1/2 qts of make up oil in a regular 5k oci. That has gone down alot since I mix my own brew of thicker oil. And it runs fine, so much for factory oil experts.,,,

This is crazy to happen on such a new vehicle. To blame it on the oil is even crazier. It should be under the powertrain warranty.

UNLESS you go to a REALLY thick oil at running temp prolly NOT. heavier oils in a burner like the 2013 malibu 2.5 my girlfriend DUMPED can help, not to mention oil diluters that thin oils to dangerously thin when using watery xxW20s

I'm not a rocket scientist but that sure does not sound logical at all. If you were a grade low or a grade high no way that engine has the tech to notice the difference and throw a code. Much wiser than me will sure chime in.

Yes, it seems hard to believe that the PCM could detect a small difference in oil grade, which isn't the cause of this problem since I always used 5W-30.

Probably the few seconds oil pressure was reduced from the oil being drained then filled triggered that but I'm shocked they don't account for that.

I agree. If I would have taken the vehicle directly to the dealer and if they read the same code as my repair shop, the warranty cost fix of $500+ would have caught GM's attention!

Sounds kind of fishy to me. Regardless of your bumper to bumper warranty being up, there is still a power train and emissions warranty in effect. I would take it to the dealership for a second opinion.

If I get a check engine light again, I'll definitely bring it to the dealer. If it's a powertrain code again, then GM will pay the cost under warranty.

No argument as I am unaware. But for a ANY 2018 vehicle to need a solenoid cleaning is pretty absurd to me. Not challenging you as I'd like to learn something here if it's a real deal how to clean.

I don't have the skills or knowledge to remove the solenoids, so I can't look at the screens. The repair seems to be replacing the solenoids, not cleaning the screens, although if there was a oil-starvation issue due to the oil change, then that could be because of the screens being clogged. Again, I've changed the oil frequently with lots of life left on the oil-life monitor, so I hope the screens aren't dirty.

Back