Oil accumulator + Bypass Filter = Best Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the absolute best protection for my engine , oil accumulator will significantly reduce cold start wear, and will provide a bathed cooling once the engine is shut off.
A bypass filters remove harmful wear materials from the oil.
An oil cooler will reduce will effectively increase the oil's life span and will reduce engine wear because of overall cooler temps.

Anyone have before and after oil analysis of a stock setup vs one with the two devices mentioned above?

Not to dispute any of the claims but how many people have worn out a properly maintained vehicle engine?

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Mercedes
I want the absolute best protection for my engine , oil accumulator will significantly reduce cold start wear, and will provide a bathed cooling once the engine is shut off.
An oil cooler will reduce will effectively increase the oil's life span and will reduce engine wear because of overall cooler temps.

Anyone have before and after oil analysis of a stock setup vs one with the two devices mentioned above?

Please provide data that justifies your general position that a well cared for engine that is serviced at the manufacturer interval and specification will not provide excellent service over 250k+ miles.

The short answer is that you can't provide this data because nearly any engine from a well known manufacturer will last 250k+ miles with proper maintenance.

If what you're doing is for the benefit of tinkering and personal enjoyment, then by all means proceed.

If you are doing it because of a notion that it is what is required for long engine life and performance, then you're running a fools errand.

I am not generally of the "won't make a difference" camp when it comes to upgrades in almost any system (your engine included) but generally it is true that there is a point of diminishing returns. If you drive more than the average driver (25K or less a year) it may pay off. If not, maybe you just sleep better, or like to experiment and are a hands-on tinkerer who wants to see his own results.

Compared to a single month's car payment, it's actually pretty cheap to do both.

I installed what you’re asking about back in 2004. It has worked well for me. I currently have 389,000 miles on my ‘03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil Dual Remote bypass filter and an electric prelube pump. Most of my OCIs have been 40,000 miles.

Here is my latest UOA:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4189775/Searchpage/1/Main/258415/Words/slalom44/Search/true/Amsoil_0W-30_Honda_S2000_40,25#Post4189775

Here is my original post on my setup: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

Sure, it’s overkill for most car owners. And I have no proof that it’s saving my engine from wear. But it certainly hasn’t hurt me and I’m spending far less time doing oil changes. And based on what I have seen online I believe I have the highest mileage Honda S2000 in the world.

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Mercedes

What car, what motor? If there is an inherent design flaw, or design weakness (say marginal timing chain lubrication), OR the metallurgy is not there, you won't be going as far as you think...

Getting an all OEM big block Chevy out beyond maybe 250K is not really doable, in most cases. Even worse for many 1980's small blocks.

On the other hand, some Mercedes engines can go 500K and some Hondas can prolly go that far. I would not try going that far with a stock Fiat ...

I don't think there is a Ferrari engine that will go 200,000 w/o an overhaul ... But a Peugeot Diesel might go the distance ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slalom44
I installed what you’re asking about back in 2004. It has worked well for me. I currently have 389,000 miles on my ‘03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil Dual Remote bypass filter and an electric prelube pump. Most of my OCIs have been 40,000 miles.

Here is my latest UOA:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4189775/Searchpage/1/Main/258415/Words/slalom44/Search/true/Amsoil_0W-30_Honda_S2000_40,25#Post4189775

Here is my original post on my setup: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

Sure, it’s overkill for most car owners. And I have no proof that it’s saving my engine from wear. But it certainly hasn’t hurt me and I’m spending far less time doing oil changes. And based on what I have seen online I believe I have the highest mileage Honda S2000 in the world.

Just read your your post, that setup you have is sweet! Lots of thought went into it, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back