YOUR WARRANTY ...what is the real chance of a warranty denial b/c of your oil? Examples?

All good replies, interesting for sure that folks seem to go to the default "if you want to keep your warranty in tact" as a response but it seems like an almost zero risk to run whatever oil within reason that you want due to the v. low likelihood of every having the warranty need in the first place or that if there is an issue, that just showing that you changed it is more than likely enough.

Tactfulness doesn’t come into play with motor oil. If you run the oil that is specified in your owners manual and change it on schedule then the chance of a oil related failure is so small it’s almost microscopic.

I look at it this way: I’m not a wealthy man. If I just dropped the coin for a brand new vehicle, why wouldn’t I comply with the manufacturer’s warranty requirements and protect my investment?

I don't get it either. Most of these oils are not hard to find, at worst you have to buy from the dealer and the price is typically quite reasonable.

I think at the end of the day people just want the ability to make their own choice, whether it's correct or not.

I put Duron SAE 50 in a 2010 Yaris, 2004 C240 Benz and two 2013 Matrix just to prove a point.
I pretty much stick to XW40s, 0W40 to SAE 40 depending on ambient.
The recommended 5w30 in a 6.0L GMC was a disaster at -42C last winter. No oil pressure on start up.

My 3 Duramax owner's manuals specifically instruct not to use 10W40, but 5w40 and 15w40 are OK.
I just bought 2, 20L pails of Duron CK-4/SN 10W40 now that the free dealership oil changes are over.
What should I do?

I had a customer with an 01 Audi A4 1.8t that the dealer denied warranty coverage for sludging, even though he had every reciept for oil changes done at the dealer. He had to get a lawyer involved to clear it up. Other than that Ive never heard of anything denied by weight alone, although there have been times we analyzed the oil at the BMW dealer for failures when they had their 15k intervals, or if it was obviously neglected.

There are cases where how you change the oil can turn it into a seized motor..... (C f O o U r G d H).
[/QUOTE]
Improper installation of a cartridge filter??

Tactfulness doesn’t come into play with motor oil. If you run the oil that is specified in your owners manual and change it on schedule then the chance of a oil related failure is so small it’s almost microscopic.
The fail rate for using just about any #w# is likely the same microscopic rate.
Oil in engine these days is all about longevity.
Who uses additives like Moly LM2009? Is that good or bad? No real good answer unless you run the exact same engine the same way w/ and w/o the additive over say 300kmi and then dissect to look.

The "idiot label" under the hood is nowadays just a very broad net with emphasis on increasing the efficiency #'s by some specific test and then published out. This alone does not mean it's the "best" oil for your vehicle in your environment the way you drive it.

The 69c/qt walmart oil will get any vehicle past most (if not all) warranty periods. Warranty period in that 3-5yr range is kinda silly these days. With advancemnets in technology ALL OEM's should be in the 100kmi warranty region to make it more meaningful.

i had a customer who was denied on what i believe was a timing chain tensioner issue. they said it was oil related. maybe the tech should have read his service history, they changed his oil at the required intervals. he kept the report but didn't take it any further

Before even the warranty claim issue, when has an engine failed and the motor oil was suspect as the cause?
1980-81. Quaker State had a bad batch of additive, and lost a lot of engines in cold weather. Many more than the 50 alluded to in the article. My stepmom got a replacement engine in her new Buick courtesy of QS. I later worked with a fellow who owned the local QS distributorship at the time. I know it was a difficult time for him.

1980-81. Quaker State had a bad batch of additive, and lost a lot of engines in cold weather. Many more than the 50 alluded to in the article. My stepmom got a replacement engine in her new Buick courtesy of QS. I later worked with a fellow who owned the local QS distributorship at the time. I know it was a difficult time for him.
I was probably in the time period of creation and use of CANbus.

7th gen Civic SI. Ive forgotten most of the details. My friend with a seized engine @ 40-50k miles responded with something like: ”I’m pretty sure I changed the oil,” meaning once, ever. She ended up letting the car sit until it was stolen. Don’t ask me how it was stolen.

No warranty coverage.

I was told be the local Ford dealer that Ford only request oil change records for engine replacement in two circumstances.

1. OEM FOMOCO Filter still on vehicle.

2. Evidence of overextended OCI (Sludge formation in engine).

If the dealer relays one of these two situations exist they will ask for records and send out someone to look at the engine in person to decide whether the failure will be covered under warranty. In that case if you have records proving the car was serviced as directed (say every 10,000 mi) but the choice of lubricant (such as SAE 30 Non-Detergent Group I) was a major contributing factor your claim will likely be denied.

That said I think how your dealer represents the condition to Ford is likely the most important factor.

I look at it this way: I’m not a wealthy man. If I just dropped the coin for a brand new vehicle, why wouldn’t I comply with the manufacturer’s warranty requirements and protect my investment?

Wealthy and poor alike should steer clear of new vehicles if money means something to you. The chance of an oil related issue with a newer used vehicle is nearly as small as that of a new vehicle.

I was probably in the time period of creation and use of CANbus.
Regardless, it was a significant event in the industry. It undoubtedly led to better testing and stricter internal QC standards at Quaker, and probably other companies. It likely contributed to the current state of PCMO quality, and why your question could be asked with the answer being generations ago.

It hurt Quaker State. There's no way it couldn't have. The bad publicity, the payouts for repairs, and the expense laid out assuaging customers in attempt to keep them. I believe the whole motor oil company engine warranty program was borne out of it. QS was the #1 PCMO in US market share. Not long after, they lost that ranking and never regained it. By the late '90s they were circling the drain. Only because of mergers and buyouts does the brand still exist.

Volkswagen can and does test for compliance and will routinely deny warranty claims. I know a couple gals that are techs/mechanics at the dealership. The 508 has dye and a tracer so I would be hesitant to bring in a blown up engine with non-compliant oil. If you do shell the motor, do a drain and 50% fill with 508 prior to showing up is my advice. I don't know about other manufacturers but on the VW forums I follow, you do hear about it with oil and in the past, high pressure fuel pumps. If you had the misfortune of shelling your HPFP it led to a $4-6K bill. VW would pull a fuel sample and you better only have diesel fuel or your claim was rejected. The 15ppm sulfur was the actual culprit but many folks had to retain lawyers or eat the cost some years back.

I don't get it either. Most of these oils are not hard to find, at worst you have to buy from the dealer and the price is typically quite reasonable.

I think at the end of the day people just want the ability to make their own choice, whether it's correct or not.

Agreed.

Never.
I even posted a thread where a Kia's warranty was honored after seeing a sludged engine with one oil change receipt after 45k miles.

Screenshot_20200810-150950_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-150935_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-150912_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-150844_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back