YOUR WARRANTY ...what is the real chance of a warranty denial b/c of your oil? Examples?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
It gets posted quite a bit in response to anyone thinking of running a non-approved oil for their car that is still under warranty. What are some documented real-world examples where a dealer/manufacturer denied a warranty claim related to the powertrain b/c someone didn't have the right oil? I suppose they would have to actually get the oil tested and compare the data to known data of approved oils and I also suppose that they will ask for your DIY oil change records (or non-dealer if you pay someone to do it) and if those show you used something you shouldn't have, they have that evidence. The new VW508.00 oil issue comes to mind as it's got a green color which would help ID it but viscosity testing would definitively show if you were using say a 5W40 vs. the 0W20. Major/catastrophic engine failure while under warranty related to lubrication should be v. rare so this instance has an incredibly small dataset to start with.

I seriously doubt there are any simply due to the brand damage it might cause as well as the difficulty proving it in a court if challenged.

If one does exist, I would love to see the case # and follow up on it.

I have personally known of warranty denial when oil not changed (huyndai). GM has used initial fill oil with UV die in it and special oil filters that are not available as service parts. But I do not personally know of a warranty denial.

Other than that, NO

Rod

As a side note, I'd be very surprised if an engine was that sensitive to the wrong oil. It wouldn't look well for the manufacturer.

I have personally known of warranty denial when oil not changed (huyndai). GM has used initial fill oil with UV die in it and special oil filters that are not available as service parts. But I do not personally know of a warranty denial.
Back in the day when my old Toyota was going through the whole gelling/sludging thing all they required for the extended warranty or repair was evidence of one oil change since new.

There aren't any. I started a thread with this exact subject a while back (but with a lot less high school drama for the title) and no one had any examples of owner's manual nor warranty booklet text that indicated the oil selection was tied to the new car warranty.
This site needs more HS drama to spice it up...have some fun, loosen up. At least that's been my philosophy online with all the seriousness/drama this year.

Last edited:
Back in the day when my old Toyota was going through the whole gelling/sludging thing all they required for the extended warranty or repair was evidence of one oil change since new.
I believe VW with their 1.8 oil sludge drama also required receipts showing evidence that you changed the oil (likely didn't care which kind).

I’ve “heard” of Subaru denying warranty due to using 5w40 and not 5w30 but since I don’t actually know of someone personally having this happen I am not sure if it’s real or not.

The closest I've seen was the Toyota late '90s to early 2000s sludging problem.

Toyota tried to pass it off as a failure to use the right oil or change it often enough.

They finally settled a class action lawsuit over it in 2007 covering around 2.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles made between 1997 and 2002, agreeing to repair sludged engines for up to eight years from the time of purchase.

Btw the problem was that Toyota increased head temperatures by reducing the size of coolant passages to enhance fuel economy, but failed to update oil quality recommendations or shorten oil change intervals.

Owners using the top tier synthetics had no problems.

All good replies, interesting for sure that folks seem to go to the default "if you want to keep your warranty in tact" as a response but it seems like an almost zero risk to run whatever oil within reason that you want due to the v. low likelihood of every having the warranty need in the first place or that if there is an issue, that just showing that you changed it is more than likely enough.

All good replies, interesting for sure that folks seem to go to the default "if you want to keep your warranty in tact" as a response but it seems like an almost zero risk to run whatever oil within reason that you want due to the v. low likelihood of every having the warranty need in the first place or that if there is an issue, that just showing that you changed it is more than likely enough.
I suspect, if there were any issues from not using the under-hood "idiot label" oil spec, the issue would not show up within any warranty period.

I think the better question is, would doing so impact longevity, like taking an expected 300kmi engine and only getting 150kmi?

Back