OCI, Owners manual versus oil Mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my car owners manual recommends 5000 mile oil changes, is there any benefit to using a 10,000 mile oil? In other words, if I use the 10,000 mile oil can I extend my oil changes to 10,000 miles regardless of what the owners manual says?

The oil may say it's good for 10,000 miles but only if the engine will allow it.

The certain way to determine this is to use analysis. On the other hand if your car warranty dictates 5k oci then go with that for now until the warranty is up.

I've gone both way with oil changes. Sure the oil can go 10k, but you have to wonder if the filter can. Or if it's doing anything useful. Changing the filter at 5k might be more beneficial then changing the oil. Also how you use the you car has alot to do with oil life. If you tow a trailer, go only around town with little to no warm up, if you do only high speed highway driving, all effect longevity. Oil analysis is the only way to tell if your oil can handle the way you,and the vehicle treat it .,,

Most manufacturers are over 5,000 miles nowadays...I think if you're out of warranty, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Find that sweet spot. For me that's 5,000 miles. For whatever reason when I try to extend an oil change up into the 7,500 miles stratosphere, I tend to consume too much oil. It's like something halogens at that 5,000 mile mark...don't know if it shears or what, but I use a lot more after 5k. So I don't bother going further.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I'd hate to be your doctor; Car, engine, miles and driving style please

Plus VQLT.....
How long have you had the vehicle?
How many miles do you drive this vehicle per year?
Is your engine dirty?
(example) On all my vehicles dating back 40 years, my dipstick stays relatively clear for up-to 1K after an oil change.

Lastly, older vehicles (yours 15 years) generally begin to see shorter OCIs, not longer ones. Like an aging parent in retirement, they need more TLC.

What car makes and model are we talking about?
Or are we just talking hypothetically on a 15 years old car?

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Sure the oil can go 10k, but you have to wonder if the filter can.

Yeah, there are filters that claim 10,000 miles to 20,000 miles. If your engine still clean, you should be able use one of those filters.

I was mainly talking hypothetically or in general but the two specific cars are a 1999 Saab 9-3 and a 2006 Scion XA
I'm assuming when these cars were made there was no such thing as a 10,000 mile oil therefore it would not have been an option in the owners manual

This.

I have done 10,000 mile intervals on a 5,000 mile spec vehicle (I was driving 99% highway miles), and I have done 3,000 mile intervals on a 7,500 mile spec (all local short trips).
Some engines are better than others with extending the interval, others need to have it shortened.
Some driving styles/conditions allow the interval to be extended, some do not
Engine condition makes a difference as well.

So I will answer your vague question with a vague answer: Maybe

Originally Posted by VQLT
I was mainly talking hypothetically or in general but the two specific cars are a 1999 Saab 9-3 and a 2006 Scion XA
I'm assuming when these cars were made there was no such thing as a 10,000 mile oil therefore it would not have been an option in the owners manual
My father in law ran 10,000 mile oil changes already back in the 1980's. No engine problems he would claim. He bought Dodges.

The xA can do it, providing the oil isn't shear prone-the '06 xB in my sig has had UOA confirmed 10K M1 5W30 EP oil changes, but M1 0W30 AFE sheared badly into a 20 weight in 7000 miles. As long as the engine is clean, build up to it gradually with a few OCIs, cutting open oil filters to confirm cleanliness, and do a UOA to make sure your oil can handle it. I don't know enough about Saab to have any idea, but I hear they're expensive if they break.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The certain way to determine this is to use analysis.

ONLY way. Anything else is guesswork.

Manufacturer usually sets lower distance since people forget and a UOA is beyond most peoples' ability or interest. Oil advertising and capability dictates what you see on the claimed mileage per OCI.

Engines vary. Driving styles vary. Temperatures vary. That's why a UOA is the only way to be certain about your oil's condition, in YOUR engine with YOUR climate and YOUR driving habits.

Can you do extended drain intervals? Sure, it's your car.. you can do whatever you want to it. The better question is... "should i do extended drain intervals?" ... As has been mentioned, oil analysis, while not a perfect tool, is the only real objective tool at your disposal to answer that question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I've gone both way with oil changes. Sure the oil can go 10k, but you have to wonder if the filter can.
Changing the filter at 5k might be more beneficial then changing the oil. .,,

It's actually the other way around.

"Common" oil filters really do not filter that well. Adding a new oil filter will likely do no good, as the contaminates are too small.
A "bypass" style oil filter will typically extend oil life by removing smaller stuff a normal oil filter won't catch.

Originally Posted by blupupher

This. I have done 10,000 mile intervals on a 5,000 mile spec vehicle (I was driving 99% highway miles)

Yes, Same.
I typically go over 10,000 miles on an oil change, because that's only 2-3 months of driving.

FWIW; I'm on my 2nd 1NZ-FE 1.5 Toyota; The maintenance schedule indicates 5K OCI but other places 7.5K is also mentioned.

I do a majority highway miles and have run >10K OCI in my yaris; I think 13K with castrol 0w-40.

Frankly modern oils are really really good. It isn't 1969 anymore. I don't sweat it

Mobil one makes a 20,000 mile or one year motor oil. I'm not sure when this oil was introduced but if it was around in 2006 do you think the car manufactures would've Specd 10, 15 or 20,000 mile oil change instead of 5000 OCI? That was really the point I was trying to make with modern oil's that were not around 15 years ago can you now extend out your oil changes

Last edited:
FWIW; I'm on my 2nd 1NZ-FE 1.5 Toyota; The maintenance schedule indicates 5K OCI but other places 7.5K is also mentioned.

I do a majority highway miles and have run >10K OCI in my yaris; I think 13K with castrol 0w-40.

Frankly modern oils are really really good. It isn't 1969 anymore. I don't sweat it

The 1NZ-FE is a great engine, we had abused company xAs that made it over 200K easily-but they are VVT-i with a long timing chain, they will shear oil down (at least mine did). I wouldn't run an xw-20 in them either (as Toyota has back-specced), it's not going to stand up to the shearing (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back