O Reilly motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good or bad is O Reilly 10w 30 regular motor oil as sold in the 5 qt black bottles? ok for a jeep 4 liter inline motor in a 1990 XJ?

Originally Posted by JoelB
Cheaper to buy supertech and its at least of equal quality.

Depends on your location. O'Reilly is 0 miles away from where I work and Walmart is at least a 30 minute drive away, and gas isn't free. O'Reilly oil is fine, I haven't seen many UOAs of it but I've used it in various vehicles with no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

Depends on your location. O'Reilly is 0 miles away from where I work and Walmart is at least a 30 minute drive away, and gas isn't free. O'Reilly oil is fine, I haven't seen many UOAs of it but I've used it in various vehicles with no problems.

Walmart will ship a couple jugs/filters to your doorstep for free.

If it has the API starburst logo "for gasoline engines" and the classification donut that meets/exceeds your required spec, you can use it.
See the passenger car engine oil information provided here.

Last edited:
If you don't mind motor oil in a cardboard box, Havoline's 6qt smart change boxes sold through Walmart beat Supertech on price per quart. If you can meet a $35 floor, Walmart will deliver it to your doorstep for free.

I don't know yet but OReillys keeps giving me $10 of $20 so I buy their Dexos full syn. Makes it a good price and I don't have to go to Walmart.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Reasonable logic to me.

For me, it's a mile or so out of the way on my commute, so it's nothing for me to swing in. If it was more effort then I'd do bulk buys and/or looking into mailorder.

Originally Posted by DGXR
If it has the API starburst logo "for gasoline engines" and the classification donut that meets/exceeds your required spec, you can use it.

I'm trying hard to find a motor oil without the starburst or donut. Does that even exist?

I just bought 5 quarts of O'Reilly full synthetic. Pretty good price with the coupon. If the coupons keep coming, I will keep buying. $22 oil becomes $12 oil.

If nothing else, this jug could be used to top off between oil changes. Just keep it in the back of car, along with other assorted "just in case" stuff.

I don't have a fancy car with a high performance engine. It's a Ford, which is not all that special.
Factory spec is synthetic blend. Just about any oil will do for me.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Originally Posted by DGXR

I'm trying hard to find a motor oil without the starburst or donut. Does that even exist?

Sure, go to your local John Deere dealer. Their Plus 50 motor oils are CK/SN rated don't have either logos. Why are you even looking for one in the first place?

Buy a real oil
Store brand is bottom of the barrel spec stuff
That's why it's cheap

Wally World has better oil for the same price !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buy a real oil
That's why it's cheap

They are close, but $11.99 for 5 quarts of FS D1G2 5w30 is at least a somewhat good deal if you have the $10 coupon.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buy a real oil
That's why it's cheap

They are close, but $11.99 for 5 quarts of FS D1G2 5w30 is at least a somewhat good deal if you have the $10 coupon.

I would have absolutely no issue with running O'Reilly synthetic in my family's Fords, Toyota and Hyundai @$11.99 for 5 quarts....if it's at the everyday price I'll go to WM for ST syn. or even QSUD....any of these 3 should do 7K in my Escape or Focus...or my kids cars mentioned earlier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back