NSFBitog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holyyyyy cowwwww
shocked2.gif

Yeah that motor has a shortened life... No way around that fact...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Holyyyyy cowwwww
shocked2.gif

Yeah that motor has a shortened life... No way around that fact...

Absolutely true! But it's only a '17 with under 60k. Assuming the body's not ate up with door dings and corner crunches and the seats aren't covered in ciggie burns...the sky's the limit! Run that baby thru the detail shop and it could be on CPO row by Monday morning.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
So you filled this thing, threw on a filter and sent them on their way? I'd love to see a progress pic in a few weeks/months.

What would you have done?

I wasn't judging you, I was genuinely curious as to what you did. Did you use any engine additives or suggest a flush of some sort?

I'm really curious. Describe the owner. What kind've person actually is so uneducated to do this to a perfectly good vehicle. I knew this chick years back that honestly didn't know oil was ever supposed to be changed!

Originally Posted by JustN89
At this point, the best way to even get close to "reversing" this (and that's not even talking about the mechanical damage done, just the sludge buildup), would be to removed the valve covers and oil pan and clean them out.

That's more work than a couple of oil and filter changes.

Yuck
crazy2.gif

Well, thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

What's the procedure for reversing this mess? Assuming the engine isn't actually damaged. Just conventional oil changes every 1K with some seafoam, diesel, or MMO?

I'd change the oil every month for the next 6 months

Originally Posted by spasm3
What was the previous fill of oil? Do you know, or was this a new customer?

Sunoco Full Syn 0w20 API SN Plus Dexos1 Gen 2
PrimeGuard POF4612 My filter was removed.

See 1st post

Thanks, i did see the original post, i did not know if thats the oil that was originally in or the oil that went in this oci, or both.

Thanks for the pics, incredible sludge.

Last edited:
So you filled this thing, threw on a filter and sent them on their way? I'd love to see a progress pic in a few weeks/months.

I wasn't judging you, I was genuinely curious as to what you did. Did you use any engine additives or suggest a flush of some sort?

A flush type cleaner would be a bad idea here.

I agree ^^^^^^^^

Maybe a manual cleaning of the oil screen and take the valve covers off and manually clean there too.... Then a HDEO 10w30 oil.... Run that for 30 minutes and get the oil totally up and staying at operating temp... Then drain that out change that oil filter... Then put in a 0w20... Do a 500 mile run on that... Drain that and change that oil filter and then do a 1k mile run drain that and change the oil filter... Then a 3k mile run...

By the way... My Nissan Altima VQ motor is so clean especially compared to that motor... You could drop a hotdog down the oil fill hole in my car and pull that hotdog out... Wipe it off and your good to go and eat it
lol.gif

I agree ^^^^^^^^

Maybe a manual cleaning of the oil screen and take the valve covers off and manually clean there too.... Then a HDEO 10w30 oil.... Run that for 30 minutes and get the oil totally up and staying at operating temp... Then drain that out change that oil filter... Then put in a 0w20... Do a 500 mile run on that... Drain that and change that oil filter and then do a 1k mile run drain that and change the oil filter... Then a 3k mile run...

thumbsup2.gif

I would do what you recommend. At the minimum, the short interval changes even if you don't take the covers and oil pan off. A flush cleaner could end up loosening a large amount of sludge and block the oil pump screen, bye bye main bearings.

By the way... My Nissan Altima VQ motor is so clean especially compared to that motor... You could drop a hotdog down the oil fill hole in my car and pull that hotdog out... Wipe it off and your good to go and eat it
lol.gif

lol.gif
... do it while the engine is hot and it would be like deep frying that hotdog.

I'm not sure I would do anything at all ... simply tell the customer that unfortunately, you won't be able to work on their car.

That engine is gonna shed a chunk of sludge and die. New oil is just going to make that happen sooner.

And when it does, the customer will blame YOU.

I bet the PCV system (at least the PCV valve) is clogged up too, which makes the situation even worse.

remove the sump, and put a pressure washer in the oil fill hole to blast some sludge out. reassemble and fill with hot diesel. drain. repeat until drained diesel comes out the same colour as it went in.
100m oci on cheap oil.
your oil of choice.

Do you think this customer knows they need to change it and can't afford it, or is it they just don't care? When people are struggling financially, car maintenance usually is the first thing to get cut.

I wouldn't flush that engine. We were concerned that the oil/filter change might, in fact, cause sludge
to restrict oil flow/block sump screen. A flush would probably increase that risk.
We don't use/do flushes of any kind.
Had I known of the extent of the sludge prior to our draining the oil I probably would
have asked him to go elsewhere.
At that point I was "the last one to touch it". I had to do, at minimum, what the driver asked me to do.
Hence the pics to document in the event the engine had issues after the service.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'm really curious. Describe the owner. What kind've person actually is so uneducated to do this to a perfectly good vehicle. I knew this chick years back that honestly didn't know oil was ever supposed to be changed!

Young(25 or so) Caucasian male. Well dressed. Car was clean.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I'm not sure I would do anything at all ... simply tell the customer that unfortunately, you won't be able to work on their car.

That engine is gonna shed a chunk of sludge and die. New oil is just going to make that happen sooner.

And when it does, the customer will blame YOU.

Agreed.
Oil was drained before the sludge was discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back