Nothing beats fresh vegetables, out of your own garden.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Anyone else plant a small garden? I usually make one in front of my house. We got some much needed rain the past couple of weeks and the plants took off.Took these pic's from my bedroom window. Had some zucchini yesterday.Yum! Tomatoes soon, and hoping for some cucumbers later.
6-22-20
garden 6-22-20.png

7-1-20
garden 7-1-20.png

Yesterday
garden 7-15-20.jpg

Yesterday
Snapshot - 1 Squash.png

Harvested and froze lots of Silver Queen white corn last week. Been eating tomatoes for a couple weeks now. Canned a bunch of green beans, and re-planted 250 ft. row of Blue Lake bush green beans. The Tenderette green beans that got pulled were about done anyway, and Mexican bean beetles were on them heavily. Sugar Baby watermelon patch is looking good now after a very slow start.

Last edited:
The squirrels keep getting most all of my green tomatoes now. I've already trapped and relocated 13. Anyone found a way to keep the squirrels from taking all of the tomatoes?

Late start to my first garden with the kids this summer. Hopefully mine will look like yours does in late August. We planted a little bit of everything in late June so it is either going to get very crowded or I won’t get much of anything. These pics are about a week old. Looks a bit better now.

8936A7E3-33D1-4677-B62B-F88FD6A73FBF.jpeg

A5E7CBD6-101D-4690-BF1D-CB5A55FDCD56.jpeg

Really? You’ve relocated 13 squirrels? New identities?New social security numbers? I know we’re in the snowflake generation but either grow tomatoes or grow squirrels.

The squirrels keep getting most all of my green tomatoes now. I've already trapped and relocated 13. Anyone found a way to keep the squirrels from taking all of the tomatoes?
My son is having the same problem with his tomatoes. He built a “maximum security prison” plastic fence around his the other day. He said he drove home from work the other day to see a sad looking squirrel sitting by the “tomato prison”. I told him he should get a Phalanx CIWS as backup.

rabbits, squirrels and other critters always a challenge, but this weekend is the second time i get hit with strong winds from thunderstorms coming through. my neighbors corn took a beating and i had a tomato plant blown down as it was already weak from previous wind damage.

Harvested and froze lots of Silver Queen white corn last week. Been eating tomatoes for a couple weeks now. Canned a bunch of green beans, and re-planted 250 ft. row of Blue Lake bush green beans. The Tenderette green beans that got pulled were about done anyway, and Mexican bean beetles were on them heavily. Sugar Baby watermelon patch is looking good now after a very slow start.
Nice, any tips on growing the beans and where do you get the seeds/plants from? Thanks!

My hoa would have a apoplectic fit. A vegetable garden in the front yard! Not happening in New Jersey. And our motto is The Garden State. Location, location.
… just sold a condo we had for 3 years for my son to use. The HOA was overbearing and the President was next door.
She was old and frail so I told my son to offer her your strong back … turns out she had a bunch of heavy (glazed pots) plants she needed moving and replanting and my son loves plants and patio tomatoes/peppers so they instantly had a common bond.
They became friends and what a difference!

My hoa would have a apoplectic fit. A vegetable garden in the front yard! Not happening in New Jersey. And our motto is The Garden State. Location, location.
😁
Sounds like a neighborhood HOA problem.

I've got no problem gardening on my property. Harvested about 30 plum tomatoes last night after I noticed my plant was doubled over with all the weight.

I’m glad that worked out for you. My only chance would have been to buy that condo from you and move to Texas. Probably wouldn’t have gotten along with the old lady☹️

Back