Nothing beats an old V8

I typically much prefer more modern technology, however a few years back I drove a very tastefully modified (not too much, just things that improve) 66 mustang V8 "resto-rod" much like the one I owned as a young man. Truthfully, I had forgotten just how much fun that car was. That Mustang was clearly light, ultra-responsive, and fast. One cannot purchase a car like that today. Today's stuff is often very numb, overweight, unresponsive and yes, often underpowered when compared to a properly "uncorked" performance V8 of the past. AND, that's the secret. Many of those older engines took very little effort to get some real power. 325HP in a 2500 pound "old Mustang" is really fun, any way you slice it.

Put another way, today's Mustang GT would need more than 480HP to have the same power to weight.

ca0813-161325_2@2x.jpg

Also of note, today's premier American performance sports car, the Corvette, still uses the classic American V8 architecture in relatively unmolested form. GM continues to experiment with alternatives, but short of some very high technology or electric drive, the simple, compact and lightweight V8 retains some notable strengths. The V8, for all it's faults, (often forced to be in detuned form) is still winning endurance races the world over. The 'Vette C7r, Caddy's V8 entries and plenty of privateer V8 entries are often seen leading.

Last edited:
Buick Skylark didn't come with a 430 in 1966. For BB. They Came with a 401 nail head or the 455 later.

I Just rebuilt my friends 1967 Skylark GS 340 last year. Runs strong with the 2 speed planetary ST300 with switch pitch torque converter. The Buick small blocks make tons of usable torque, nicer than a factory 350SBC out on the road.

As Cujet said, those old V8s were built very simple and were easy to make power with just bolt-on parts. Better carb, header-back exhaust, and adjust the timing curve, it wasn't uncommon to see a 40-50 hp increase (240 rwhp to 290 rwhp). Even into the 90s with the 2nd gen SBC LT1 engine, they were rather choked from the factory with a tiny camshaft, small log-style manifolds, restrictive intake piping, and a pig rich tune. Just fixing those restrictions and tuning will pickup as much as 50 rwhp. Go further with higher ratio roller rockers, electric water pump, underdrive pulley, and other "freeing up power" mods, you can push into the 300-310+ rwhp range. The most I've seen made by bolt-on only LT1 was 329.7 rwhp on E85. Just a camshaft change makes it easy to get into the 350+ rwhp range, >100 hp from stock and still using the stock throttle body, stock intake manifold, stock heads, stock compression, and stock bottom end.

I expect my LT1 to be in the 320-330 rwhp (~375 crank HP) range with just bolt-on parts.

Buick Skylark didn't come with a 430 in 1966. For BB. They Came with a 401 nail head or the 455 later.

I Just rebuilt my friends 1967 Skylark GS 340 last year. Runs strong with the 2 speed planetary ST300 with switch pitch torque converter. The Buick small blocks make tons of usable torque, nicer than a factory 350SBC out on the road.

The car isn't stock, its a gasser. I suspect nothing is stock in that car.

The car isn't stock, its a gasser. I suspect nothing is stock in that car.
Yeah - just thought it would keep a nailhead. The nails are not a big power engine though.
I think it's odd seeing a 2 box "modern" car set up as a gasser.
Not my cuppa. Better ways to get a car to hook, so you have better aero on the top end.
Every body does their own style. Lots do do with what you grew up with and have an emotional attachment to.
- Ken

The 60's cars came detuned; the factory ignition curve was optimized for longivety, not power.
Here's a pretty stock L36 427 ghetto ride.

Attachments

• 68 side.jpg
    68 side.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 36
Back