Nothing beats an old V8

I liked the simple timing chain path of the old V8 engines. No one talked about timing chain or tensioner failures back then. Pushrods did not seem like an issue either.
Gears are always preferable to chains in long life OHV applications, even nylon ones like in the iron duke.

Lots of go faster goodies now for the big Buick engines. Back in the day it was hard to find a decent cam for them.

Cam really isn’t the problem, their heads all need a lot of work, that’s part of why the small block (anything with a distributor up front) buick family was neglected for so long.

Last edited:
How about a 'new' V8 against an 'old' I6.

I really don't much care for VW's, but I have a real bad case of the wants for that Passat. Prepped for road course work of course.

Just the sound of that LS7 with that gnarly header setup is fantastic. A car like that back when I was doing track day instructing would have been handy too. Always think of the students!!

Also, dude in Supra....needs practice driving.

Last edited:
A few comments-My dad was a 'car guy' even in the 1930's and sold them for some years after coming home from WW2. He always had something interesting and I caught the bug in the 1960's. I actually drag raced my '65 Pontiac GP 421 and a 2.56 rear. 3rd gear in the THM400 wasn't needed and I think was classed D stock and against 289 Mustangs often. I was a great highway cruiser as the mostly empty highways of the western US were frequently traveled at 80-90mph with a Dana add-on cruise control. The next was the opposite being a '70 Z28 LT1 with the 4spd and posi 4.10 gears. It was a quick car as it signed off shortly after 100mph. Both cars (and others of the day) had great styling to me that most of today's modern wind tunnel derived cars lack. The more recent Ford Mustangs and Challengers are a neat complement to the early cars and a better job than the Camaro IMO. Today, I have an odd mix of the old and newer, large and small, with 'interesting' as a common description. Nice thread.

I’m actually impressed by how cleanly the Buick hooked up. I thought we’d be seeing a Smokey sideways launch, but no, just a squeak and go.

The guy driving the Buick really knows how to drive....the kid, not so much. It shows in how much closer the next guy got to beating the Buick.

Comparing apples to oranges. But yes electric vehicles are definitely impressive
Just pointing out that the old adage isn't true anymore. And while you may claim apples to oranges, they're both vehicles and the saying is that a bigger engine is better than a smaller one. But that's not true if you have an electric vehicle and you're looking for speed.

Just pointing out that the old adage isn't true anymore. And while you may claim apples to oranges, they're both vehicles and the saying is that a bigger engine is better than a smaller one. But that's not true if you have an electric vehicle and you're looking for speed.
Let’s just say the two vehicles in the video are fuel burning. If you’re bored go out and vote.

Some may still have found themselves in traffic asking for a little V16
– on their way to the rotary ;-)

Here's a video posted on Facebook recently of a little 331ci Ford small block with a Liberty 5-speed manual putting in some work. I love the sound of a high revving, naturally aspirated V8. Hopefully the video loads.

Love the 331 engine combos!

If I ever get the desire to upgrade the supercharged combo in the mustang, I'd go with 331 or 347 engine and it would still be supercharged ;)

But who wants to cruise around in silence, love the V8 rumble. ;)

Reactions: 4WD
I typically much prefer more modern technology, however a few years back I drove a very tastefully modified (not too much, just things that improve) 66 mustang V8 "resto-rod" much like the one I owned as a young man. Truthfully, I had forgotten just how much fun that car was. That Mustang was clearly light, ultra-responsive, and fast. One cannot purchase a car like that today. Today's stuff is often very numb, overweight, unresponsive and yes, often underpowered when compared to a properly "uncorked" performance V8 of the past. AND, that's the secret. Many of those older engines took very little effort to get some real power. 325HP in a 2500 pound "old Mustang" is really fun, any way you slice it.

Put another way, today's Mustang GT would need more than 480HP to have the same power to weight.

ca0813-161325_2@2x.jpg

Also of note, today's premier American performance sports car, the Corvette, still uses the classic American V8 architecture in relatively unmolested form. GM continues to experiment with alternatives, but short of some very high technology or electric drive, the simple, compact and lightweight V8 retains some notable strengths. The V8, for all it's faults, (often forced to be in detuned form) is still winning endurance races the world over. The 'Vette C7r, Caddy's V8 entries and plenty of privateer V8 entries are often seen leading.
... and it just so happens the 2020 Mustang Bullitt makes 480HP!

I will agree that the "resto-mod" is where it's at. Modern power, braking, and handling technology with the simplicity of a much older vehicle.

Back