Not sure what Pep boys is up to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
By the time Carl Icahn finishes stripping anything he can from Pep Boys, there will be nothing left but the bones.
Unfortunately, that may be true. Icahn truly is the living embodiment of Gordon Gekko. "Greed....is good".

I haven't been in a Pep Boys in over 5 years. The last time I was there was to get some oil since I was in the area and didn't fel like going to Walmart.

I'd go when their "Here's $5 for free" coupon arrived in the mail.

It's a floor mat and touch-up paint store.

When "ours" opened I chatted with an older gal (a seasoned retail worker -local to the county) who said it is the worst place she'd ever seen.

Their oil is always top priced.

At least the one near me added a few hardware drawers.

Remember a year or two ago when they said the service centers were going under a different name?

one time I found a bottle of Amsoil ATF at Pep Boys for $5 on clearance
crazy2.gif

Pep Boys supposedly has a deal in place for Uber drivers who lease cars from Fair.

There was rumor Bridgestone wanted to buy out Pep Boys - they have an established retail presence. Carl Icahn stopped that from happening - he's also a major shareholder in Federal-Mogul, which is now Tenneco.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
By the time Carl Icahn finishes stripping anything he can from Pep Boys, there will be nothing left but the bones.
Unfortunately, that may be true. Icahn truly is the living embodiment of Gordon Gekko. "Greed....is good".

He is worth 17.3 billion USD

You don't get to be that rich by lowering prices on engine oil....

I liked the Pep Boys of 20+ years ago. Now it's just seems to be aisles of tacky chromed plastic stick-on garbage, and everything is overpriced.

Support your local mechanic for any mechanical repairs. For tires and batteries I use Sam's Club or Costco. For auto parts locally owned NAPA. Sometimes Advance Auto Parts but only if I buy online with a big coupon for pickup in the store.

Had not been in Pep Boys in 2-3 years, recently I went there to buy a gas can. I think was the only customer in the store. It had been remodeled with a lot fewer aisles than I remember and a lot less merchandise than I remember. Inventory was never great but this time was pathetic. One thing I liked was they used to have a good selection of car repair manuals like Haynes and Chilton that other stores did not carry. Even that was gone or not where I could find it.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I liked the Pep Boys of 20+ years ago. Now it's just seems to be aisles of tacky chromed plastic stick-on garbage, and everything is overpriced.

It was fun to go to when I was first getting into cars, but now whenever I go in I feel like everything is overpriced and the place hasn't been cleaned since then.

pep boys in my area still has the best selection of acces for cars but I would not go there for any thing else. I buy my trailer tires there because most tire stores don't carry trailer tires

Word. I'm painfully aware of his tendencies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoin...rom-billionaire-carl-icahn/#13755f84f697

I'm assuming Pep Boys bought & took over Just Brakes, because the shop just down the street, which I used to really like, is now a Pep Boys service center. Nice enough guys, but their labor rates are eye-watering.

LOL I never shop at Pep Boys unless they have a special sale in the flyer, and even then I buy parts or fluids only. Never -- ever -- would I get service there.

glad i work on my own cars. used to use them back in the 2000s before rockauto and amazon. i used to go every black friday until 4-5 years ago. 5qt oil with filter used to be $7-8 after rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back