No shocker, but a rip-off story...

Originally Posted by PimTac
This reminds me of a sign in a mechanics garage I saw many moons ago.

A guy walks into the shop with spark plugs and asks the mechanic if he will install them for him.

On the same sign the guy walks into a restaurant with a steak and some eggs and asks the cook to fry them up for him.

With the focus on liability , why would a mechanic install a part that he has no idea where it is from? If the part fails and a accident and or injury happens then he might be called on the carpet. Especially with online sales where we really don't know the history or origin of some of these parts.

Great analogy..ðŸ‘.. and spot on on the liability thing. I know it's not the ONLY reason but it's a big one.

That hub locally costs me 175 in Moog. I would sell it for 292. Factoring in exchange rate from US dollars to canadian and they arent far off.

Yes, i have to mark up parts. The labor you are charged pays for the time I am working on the car. The parts markup pays for the time I am in the office sourcing parts, on the phone, writing estimates and invoices, and it pays for my labor should I have to warranty the part.

All the comments about overhead obviously have no clue what it costs to run a modern, competent repair facility. Y'all have any clue how much insurance costs these days? How about how much a legit shop pays for tools and information? For the two of us in my shop, I average 15000-20000 a year in tools and we arent talking wrenches and sockets here. Now factor in another 3000-5000 dollars a year for service information, scan tool subscriptions and programming subscriptions and the numbers start to add up rather quickly. Now tack on the 20k that I have paid for health insurance for the two of us this year plus liability insurance, workers comp, property insurance, taxes, etc. I have to make almost 1000 bucks gross profit per day to cover the overhead or it wasnt worth turning the key in the lock that morning

I don't understand why people compare shop prices to retail or online stores. I'm glad I'm not in the repair business because I don't think I would be able to deal with the "...but, but I can get this for so much lower...", my response probably would've been "then why didn't you?" I would probably not stay in business for long lol.
Fortunately both USA and Canada support the right to repair automobiles by their owners, use that right to your advantage, otherwise there is nothing to discuss here. At least of this was a price comparison to some other auto repair business, and the discrepancy was huge, that's understandable, but one cannot compare the costs of running a business, to doing something in their backyard.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I don't understand why people compare shop prices to retail or online stores. I'm glad I'm not in the repair business because I don't think I would be able to deal with the "...but, but I can get this for so much lower...", my response probably would've been "then why didn't you?" I would probably not stay in business for long lol.
Fortunately both USA and Canada support the right to repair automobiles by their owners, use that right to your advantage, otherwise there is nothing to discuss here. At least of this was a price comparison to some other auto repair business, and the discrepancy was huge, that's understandable, but one cannot compare the costs of running a business, to doing something in their backyard.

Agreed. Some things i do on my own (i know my limitations, for the most part - occasionally I do get myself into a pickle ...‚) and some things it's just not worth it and I'm prolly better off having a shop do it. They warranty the part and the labour, and that piece of mind comes at a cost. If ya don't wanna pay that cost.. well, there's the door - don't let it hit ya where the good Lord split ya...‚.. cuzz there's a dozen other people waiting to get in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by domer10
I have personal friends who own shops....and trust me the mark up on their end is bogus and they will be first to admit it. If they need a part they call Napa, the same Napa that me or that exact person could go to and pick up said part. The shop then adds a additional 40 percent mark up on a part that got delivered from a store a mile away. Shops make their bones on unsuspecting customers. Overhead or not, they charge 100 dollars a hr some shops. On a employee that makes less than 25hr. There is no justification for marking up a part 40 percent and then claim overhead. Shops are all about gouging unknowing customers.

Bingo....most are rip off artists, that is if they even do any work at all that you pay for. Nobody says they shouldn't mark up some parts to make money but the outrageous amounts they usually charge seems like highway robbery.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by domer10
I have personal friends who own shops....and trust me the mark up on their end is bogus and they will be first to admit it. If they need a part they call Napa, the same Napa that me or that exact person could go to and pick up said part. The shop then adds a additional 40 percent mark up on a part that got delivered from a store a mile away. Shops make their bones on unsuspecting customers. Overhead or not, they charge 100 dollars a hr some shops. On a employee that makes less than 25hr. There is no justification for marking up a part 40 percent and then claim overhead. Shops are all about gouging unknowing customers.

Bingo....most are rip off artists, that is if they even do any work at all that you pay for. Nobody says they shouldn't mark up some parts to make money but the outrageous amounts they usually charge seems like highway robbery.

But that's free market capitalism at it's best...or worst, depending on your perspective. Businesses will charge what they charge for what the market will tolerate. Just ask Comcast, your local hospital or United Airlines...an auto repair facility is no different in this respect.

Last edited:
You could warranty the hub and replace it yourself - I'm sure the hub will be ok for a few more days.

That's a bit of a mark up.

That being said, I just bought wheel hubs for my Explorer and went with SKF. Did the same on my Grand Marquis last year, never had a problem.

I had problems with Moog hubs I've installed for a friend, which only lasted about 18 months.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
That's a bit of a mark up.

That being said, I just bought wheel hubs for my Explorer and went with SKF. Did the same on my Grand Marquis last year, never had a problem.

I had problems with Moog hubs I've installed for a friend, which only lasted about 18 months.

SKF is probably the best readily available hub/bearing manufacturer now.

I managed to find Koyo bearings via NAPA a couple years ago and am currently running them on my old TTB Explorer and 02 2WD Ranger. Doubt I'll be able to find them easily again.

Moog has done downhill. I'd blame their parent company Federal-Mogul but really it's the whole [censored] industry. That said, Moog parts are not worth the premium price they ask.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by spavel6

I'd check how much that part is at the local NAPA or other auto part supplier. That is where the repair shop is likely sourcing it.

I

Napa is THE MOST EXPENSIVE parts supplier around these parts. Typically 2 - 3 x what RA sells stuff for.

Mazda2 stuff ...

KYB struts at Napa : $ 340.00. RA : $ 115.00

Akebono brake pads : Napa : $ 167.00 . RA : $ 52.00

Subaru stuff ...

Exedy clutch kit : $ Napa : $ 735.00 . RA : $ 228.00

And so on ...

Well. for a wheel bearing, you can (continue to) drive & order & wait to save on the cost.......RA is the perfect answer to the mark-up issue in this case.

Best answer is to just DIY whenever possible.

Perhaps look into SKF, Timken, or OE rather than Moog as well. The early failure is odd.

I have to say that , while I used to prefer good Timken or Moog bearings, they are not what they once were. Timken used to offer a 3 yr warranty but now just 1 year. I have to say, I have been using the WJB brand wheel hubs from rockauto with EXCELLENT results. Over the past 2 years I have installed them on 3 CTS's, 2 XTS's, an Equinox, Honda Accord, GMC Terrain, etc. I put a Moog on one side and a WJB on the other on my 2008 CTS. Guess I will see which last longer. The WJB bearing on the XTS was done last year and that car has put on about 18k miles on the hub w/o issue. The price point averages $50-60 each. I will keep using these unless I see a quality drop or start to see failures. Right now I don't see any reason to pay double+ on Timken or Moog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KGMtech
...His response: "well, Rock Auto is just putting junk Chinese parts in Moog boxes and shipping them out" "ours come with a 3 year warranty" I said that so do the Moog parts that RA supplies, in fact 1 of the front wheel hubs that I installed failed early, and RA paid for my return shipping and gave me a full refund. He had no answer.

I find this part of the conversation more than a bit perplexing, if not downright stupid.
I'm NOT bashing the OP, but rather the shop owner that made this allegation.
- So, what's the shop owner's proof this happens; that RA swaps out MOOG for junk?
- if RA takes out true MOOG parts and puts in "junk Chinese parts", that begs two subordinate questions; 1) is the inference that RA then sells the "real" MOOG parts elsewhere, or 2) do they somehow also get fake MOOG boxes for the Chinese parts?
- if RA is doing this, would this not be of MAJOR interest to the FTC for deceptive sales practices? RA is a huge company that ships all over the States, and I'm supposed to believe that RA is willing to risk legal fines and prison time for Chinese parts??? It would be a federal felony thousands of times over, and yet no one's being charged after how many years of being in business???

I would have chalked that line of garbage up to local sales talk. Inflated claims to go along with the inflated pricing. I do understand that local shops have to make a profit to survive; overhead, labor, insurance, etc. But I don't accept that the way to explain their high pricing is to bash RA as if they are evil and the local shop is beyond reproach. That's pure poppycock. I'm sure it goes on all the time; local shops make false claims to keep the natives in camp - this isn't an isolated occurrence.

If that shop owner continued his allegations, I think RA might be interested in having their lawyers talk with him.

The shops will say what they have to to survive.
I had issues finding a machine shop to install unitized/pressed wheel bearings,
they either refused or raised their pressing rates so high they priced themselves out of business.
Go on Ebay, find a good 'on car' pressing kit & go to work, first install pays for the tooling.
Shop RA, they tier their parts from Econo to Premium, never look back. (never had a bad bearing, wheel or otherwise from RockAuto)

Originally Posted by spavel6
I'd check how much that part is at the local NAPA or other auto part supplier. That is where the repair shop is likely sourcing it.

If it's $300 from them, the rest is mark up.

Repair shops can't order and wait for parts to arrive 3 days later. They need them in stock locally. Therefore they pay more money for parts and pass that onto the customer.

Not defending the shop, just saying they pay premium for available parts that are delivered within the hour, not a day or week..

This.

Also, lots of these local part stores mark up their parts for shops that buy them. A shop I had do some axle bearings on my previous Jeep told me he has switched to buying parts from the local dealer, because the Chinese junk from Autozone is usually the same price or slightly more and they have fewer comebacks with OEM parts, especially sensors.

Three options:

1) DIY and save money
2) Pay the shop cost to get it done
3) Come here to complain about the estimate that the shop gave to fix while the vehicle remains unrepaired

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by KGMtech
...His response: "well, Rock Auto is just putting junk Chinese parts in Moog boxes and shipping them out" "ours come with a 3 year warranty" I said that so do the Moog parts that RA supplies, in fact 1 of the front wheel hubs that I installed failed early, and RA paid for my return shipping and gave me a full refund. He had no answer.

I find this part of the conversation more than a bit perplexing, if not downright stupid.
I'm NOT bashing the OP, but rather the shop owner that made this allegation.
- So, what's the shop owner's proof this happens; that RA swaps out MOOG for junk?
- if RA takes out true MOOG parts and puts in "junk Chinese parts", that begs two subordinate questions; 1) is the inference that RA then sells the "real" MOOG parts elsewhere, or 2) do they somehow also get fake MOOG boxes for the Chinese parts?
- if RA is doing this, would this not be of MAJOR interest to the FTC for deceptive sales practices? RA is a huge company that ships all over the States, and I'm supposed to believe that RA is willing to risk legal fines and prison time for Chinese parts??? It would be a federal felony thousands of times over, and yet no one's being charged after how many years of being in business???

I would have chalked that line of garbage up to local sales talk. Inflated claims to go along with the inflated pricing. I do understand that local shops have to make a profit to survive; overhead, labor, insurance, etc. But I don't accept that the way to explain their high pricing is to bash RA as if they are evil and the local shop is beyond reproach. That's pure poppycock. I'm sure it goes on all the time; local shops make false claims to keep the natives in camp - this isn't an isolated occurrence.

If that shop owner continued his allegations, I think RA might be interested in having their lawyers talk with him.

Well said and +1ðŸ‘.. I'm certainly no fanboi of RA but I have bought plenty from RA over the years and while I absolutely hate playing their shipping scheme at times, I've only ever had one go back and they actually let me keep it (it was a filter) and sent me out the proper one. The process was seamless and timely. I had the right product in my hands in a few days.

Back