No power to fuel pump

The fuel pump on my Blazer isn’t getting power. I can hear the relay turn on in the glovebox and can confirm it’s not the pump since I have a spare that I also tried. It will run on starting fluid btw.

Sadly, I just filled the tank so before I go messing with this, is there anything else I should be looking for? I’m guessing it’s wire related.

During that era, GM had problems with the electrical connector & wiring harness going to the fuel pump on top of the gas tank. This common problem is documented all over the Internet. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they had a recall for this, but I don't know what specific years and models were affected. This problem is so common that some new fuel pump modules come with a new connector and wiring harness.

Last edited:
The fuel pump on my Blazer isn’t getting power. I can hear the relay turn on in the glovebox and can confirm it’s not the pump since I have a spare that I also tried. It will run on starting fluid btw.

Sadly, I just filled the tank so before I go messing with this, is there anything else I should be looking for? I’m guessing it’s wire related.

Check the fuses, relay and engine oil pressure switch. You can jump the pressure switch to test if you are getting power to the fuel pump harness.
Hope this helps..
blazer fuel pump.png

Yep , I would replace the relay , first . They are usually inexpensive . If that does not fix it , time to get underneath with a multi-meter .

The pigtail for the pump is the updated version. 1x4 rather than the 2x2.

I also exchanged relays to see if that was the issue.

Thanks for the other advice.

How would you bypass the oil pressure switch? The harness side is a 2 prong female weatherpack connector.

Remove the connector and use a jumper wire between the two terminals which is essentially what this type of switch does in normal operation as in the illustration, pressure closes C&D.

The oil pressure switch is a fail-safe in the event the relay or ECM failed. You'd just have long crank times ('til oil pressure built & closed the switch)

Back