No more A&W draft root beer?

Enjoyed A&W Root Beer in the refillable gallon jugs a long time ago. I've been using Henry Weinhard's for Root Beer floats lately. I open ahead of time and let it go flat, pour in glass, then add ice cream.

One of my fondest memories as a kid was going with Mom to pick Dad up from work and he'd always walk out with a cup of A&W Root Bear for me...
Miss you Pop.

It might be sold under a new "CORRECT" name now; Root Drink.
smirk2.gif

When I was younger we would all pile into my dads 1970 Super Bee and go cruise the Frost Top drive in. Man, there were some nice hot rods there. My dads Super Bee wasn't no slouch. 440 Magnum, Six Pack, pistol grip 4 speed, Magnum wheels, bucket seats, etc.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Few actually want it anymore. It probably switched to using high fructose corn syrup and sucks anyways. There are better root beers with cane sugar if you look like Boylan which was around before A&W.

That and the use of plastic bottles. Beverages tasted much better in glass. I remember Hires was the name in root beer when I was growing up. That's long gone now.

Last edited:
Been messing around with various extracts and a Soda Stream charger. Small amounts of anise and vanilla extract eliminate need for sweeteners. :cool:

A craft beer place here, Fatheads makes their own with honey, turbinado sugar, cinnamon, ginger, wintergreen, sassafras, sarsaparilla and vanilla. Comes in a 20 oz mug or you can get 64/32 oz growlers. I’m due for one, may get float version. The mug is 3 and growlers are 14 and 7 respectively which includes new containers. The float is 5 dollars. Nephew loves root beer so I should take him there. I don’t miss the beer either when having this.

Last edited:
I'd point out that A&W Restaurants are not the same as the A&W brand now owned by Keurig Dr Pepper. They license the name. I've seen a few around here that are paired with KFC, which was probably from when they were owned by the same parent company.

There are a few that have root beer using a separate tap instead of a normal fountain position. However, I've seen the fountains note that it was handmade (using regular sugar) at the location. There really shouldn't be a difference, although I guess the tap gives it an old fashioned appearance.

I like just about all root beer but by far IBC in the glass bottles is number 1 on my list. A&W is second and Mug and Barq’s are third. And I have had some local brands around here too that are good. I have never heard of the stuff you mentioned but I also don’t have a Costco or A&W place in my area.

Reactions: 4WD
I think sasparilla is the same? If so this place not too far from me has it.

https://randsburggeneralstore.com/fountainmenu.html

Didn't sarsparilla make Lucas McCain go blind on The Rifleman? 🤠 Sarsparilla used to be made with a tree bark extract that turned out to be hepatoxic and carcinogenic. Any modern sarsparilla will have an imitation flavor. And root beer is imitation sarsparilla. Which beverage is the least toxic is open to debate.

You can make your own Spruce beer at home (if you have a healthy spruce and patience)

The true root beer was fermented to get the carbonation.

Personally I prefer spreckers but to each their own

I was a carry-out at the A&W stand in Rock Island ILL. One year latter I was promottted to working inside taking orders from the carry-outs. My career at A&W lasted 3 years until I started my last year in HS. Ed

Back