Nissan Titan any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
Well, they haven't really changed it in 20 years, so it's probably at least got the kinks worked out?

Yep. Not real good mpg either. Nice looking, good power, durable with handy features even in basic trim. You could do a lot worse.

Apples to apples, I would want a significant discount to the competition. Just because. Checking kbb, it looks like the discount isn't there. 5.0 L 2015 Ford Crew is about the same price.

Last edited:
My friend picked up a leftover new 2018 Titan SV crew cab 4x4 last year for $33k out the door. Sticker was $47k. I think it's a nice truck and I would have no concerns buying one. I haven't read much regarding reliability problems with the recent ones.

Titans don't sell because they've never been marketed to sell.

My very busy local Nissan dealer has never stocked more than a handful of them at any time.

Like said, the power train has a lot going for it.

The newer ones have a 7spd auto vs the 5. Either are great as far as I know.

I'd own one if I needed to tow regularly. Other than that my pentastar powered Ram 1500 hauls myself and a bed full of air very nicely.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Titans don't sell very well. There is a reason for it, probably anyways.
I like my old Tundra; rock solid.
If I were looking for a 2015 PU, I'd be after one of those F-150 with the slick V6.
Titan would not be on my list.

Good luck.

Tundras a great truck but oh boy that gas mileage. Their 5.7s seem to average around 15-16. The 1980s just called, they want their truck back💸. Very solid nice truck though . I'd grab one in a second for second car or boat haul, go to dump vehicle ect that doesn't rack up mileage.

FCA still has so many "back to dealership" days … guy on my staff had one a year and went back to GMC.
My last GMC had zero trips to dealer in 8 years … and I beat that truck off the pavement.

This is truck country and it's rare to see a Nissan except for the midsized unit like Buster has.
Fair number of Tundra's and Taco's … but clearly dominated by Ford & GM

Nothing wrong with the Titan. It is a bit outdated but has a bullet-proof drive train. I would not recommend buying a new one because they depreciate so fast, but a good late model used one would be a relative bargain. IMO, go for it.

Just because it doesnt sell well wouldnt be a reason for not getting one. Alot of owners of Titans are happy with them. While im not the biggest Nissan fan, it seems the Titan is worth a look.

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Titans don't sell very well. There is a reason for it, probably anyways.
I like my old Tundra; rock solid.
If I were looking for a 2015 PU, I'd be after one of those F-150 with the slick V6.
Titan would not be on my list.

Good luck.

Tundras a great truck but oh boy that gas mileage. Their 5.7s seem to average around 15-16. The 1980s just called, they want their truck back💸. Very solid nice truck though . I'd grab one in a second for second car or boat haul, go to dump vehicle ect that doesn't rack up mileage.

MPG is low and dubious reliability (I did three repairs in 7 years & 80k, and there is a long laundry list of issues these trucks are known for).

My cousin and my neghbor both have titan gas. Both trucks are reliable and they like them except for the economy, specifically lack of any. My cousin jokes he has to turn it off at the gas station or he can not fill it up.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Both trucks are reliable and they like them except for the economy, specifically lack of any.
My cousin jokes he has to turn it off at the gas station or he can not fill it up.

That's hilarious!

If I don't go over 60 MPH and I'm not towing, it's not hard to get 18 MPG with my '08 4.6 L F150.

I have 209,000 miles on her - doesn't use a drop of oil.

Only parts I have ever replaced:
1) Alternator at 127,000
2) Driver's "master" power window switch at 187,000

Originally Posted by Linctex

I have 209,000 miles on her - doesn't use a drop of oil.

Only parts I have ever replaced:
1) Alternator at 127,000
2) Driver's "master" power window switch at 187,000

Know if that motor has much head gasket history ?
Son has it in 2010 F150 and getting quotes

The early Titans had an undersize Dana rear axle, same as the Jeep Wrangler, which was troublesome. Not sure it this got upgraded over the years.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The early Titans had an undersize Dana rear axle, same as the Jeep Wrangler, which was troublesome. Not sure it this got upgraded over the years.
The Dana Super 44 axle did have problems with the spider gears early-on, mostly relegated to Titans with the Big Tow package and 3.36 ratio. From what I can gather, the problem was resolved in 2006 .

Isn't Nissan about to fold or something? Or just struggling in general. Thought there was a thread about it on here last month or so. As far as new truck prices being too high that is not true of left over 2019's still on dealer lots at least with Ram, Chevrolet, and F150. There are deals to be found on those. Heck, I bought mine in June for $10K off sticker plus kbb higher end trade allowance on my Subaru. Right now FCA is really trying hard to reduce left over 2019 inventory, if I were you I'd at least see what you can find in a 2019 Ram before settling for a nissan.

Thanks for the reponse guys.
2017- present Titans, cannot bring myself to purchase- Nissan has quite successfully one upped everyone else in the ugly dept. I have read that the engines are sensitive to fuel quality and maintenance.
I drive a 2019 Chev 5.3L 4x4 for work- not impressed, ugly interior THIN sheet metal, others have Fords at work- lots of issues.
I currently own a 89 K1500, 385 tuned port, 700r runs strong but as I get older, just getting tired of fiddling around just want to jump in and go hunting/fishing or a trip and not have to worry about reliability because things are no longer stock.
What's with the mileage on the NIssan and Toy? lack of DOD? Maybe driving habits?

Originally Posted by dfarr67

What's with the mileage on the NIssan and Toy? lack of DOD? Maybe driving habits?

I have a 2001 Tundra 2wd V8, 198K. Runs perfect, People knock on the door with offers to buy.
It is a really good, super reliable truck. Easy to drive. I have maintained it to a t.
Gas mileage on these 1st gen Tundras is about 16 MPG and I take it easy. I understand the newer ones are worse.
Plus, you generally have to pay the Toyota tax. People think they are made of gold.

Many feel Toyota Tundras are the best trucks but are too expensive.
That's my experience; others will chime in.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dfarr67

I think they run stupid-rich at start-up, so that hurts on anything that sees frequent starts.

Lack of DOD doesn't help I'm sure.

I know Toyota (or Aisin) for some reason has a vendetta against lockup torque convertors. My truck would rather run unlocked and in too-tall of a gear rather than downshift and stay locked. My reasoning, any heat that the transmission cooler has to dissipate is heat that isn't turning the wheels--it's mpg loss.

Dunno about Nissan but Toyota tends to have deeper rear end ratios. Of course, it's the overall drive ratio that matters when it comes to engine rpm per mile. But the rear diff is in gear lube, not hot ATF. So I wonder if tall rear gears might have an advantage in terms of loss when compared to deep ones. Of course, overdriving (stepping up) in the transmission has to have its own losses too, can't get something for nothing--every gearing up/down has some sort of loss. But I suspect it's less loss when inside of the transmission.

If you read on the Tundra sites you'd get the impression that the mpg isn't that bad--many of the converts would state that it's closer than you'd think, that in the real world that Tundra is closer to its EPA than the competition. I don't think that is born out on fuelly though, and even on those sites, mpg is loused about.

I don't really like Nissan vehicles all that much. I went with the Frontier strictly due to cost and its old school powertrain. It has all that I need in a truck, but it's clearly deficient in many areas. I don't know much about the Titan. It did win J.D. Powers 2019 IQS award, but that is to be taken with a grain of salt.

In the full size market, the Titan would not be on my list. I'd go with the big 3 as well as Toyota and Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back