Nissan NS-3 Equivalent - Valvoline CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will definitely prefer aftermarket fluid but those specific to NS-3, not multi version type. CVT only being popular starting around 10+ years.
NS-3 only being introduced around 2013/2014. So aftermarket fluid for NS-3 just being introduced.
Like I said in previous post, selling X container load of one fluid is better than half this number if you have specific fluid for NS-2 and NS-3. Castrol only need to product one type covering multiple versions, hence price will be cheaper due to economy of scale.
But this means that company like valvoline, eneos etc that product version specific to NS-3 must have a technical reason.

Also I think aftermarket companies will make NS-3 equivalent better than the original in order to compete. But those who chose aftermarket fluid do not expect it to last a lifetime, hence the longevity(lifetime) of aftermarket fluid is not a concern.
But we will know in the next 10 years, just like the previous ATF in the 70s. Proven NS-3 fluid king will be crowned then.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by MolaKule
FWIW, please see post #5288604 about dyes here :

CAM2 CVT is Green

Having done a bunch of drain/fills on 2 different NS-3 spec'd Nissans, I can attest this fluid drains out as a greenish color, even though it's blue when new. My point being, I doubt a Nissan service department is going to be able to tell the difference between using a green or blue recommended for use NS-3 alternative.

For sure as dyes change color as they oxidize.

The first ATF replacement in my 2012 Frontier went in Blue and came out Amber colored.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
"The cap on the dipstick tube is hard to remove but it is plastic so it can be removed. Be sure you can remove this before draining any fluid."

Good point. This was the worst part of the job, and I don't understand why Nissan would use such a thing. I replaced it 180* out from the lock position. It ain't going anywhere...

I wasn't able to get the cap off of my 2017 Sentra.

Am I supposed to push the metal tab away from the tube, as shown in picture?

[Linked Image]

Nissan really messed up with the locking dipstick cap.
Remove Nissan Dipstick

Yes, you are thinking correctly and headed in the right direction.

Stick a screwdriver down where your arrow shaft is.
The plastic cap has a tab that sits inside the metal piece "window frame".
Pull the screwdriver towards the front of the car - away from the round plastic.
Follow your arrow; you are separating the plastic tab out of the metal "window frame".
Pull the cap off.

Remember, if it has never been off, it is also stuck on due to heat cycles.
Maybe a little WD40 and twist side to side to break seal.
I always replace the cap 180* out to bypass the lock.
Or cut the tab flush with the round part of the cap.

Good luck; it's a pain!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
sabbates,

Who said that the colors shouldn't be mixed?

For the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid on Amazon, many of the answered questions say not to mix fluids, even if they are NS-3 compatible.

Originally Posted by sabbates
Originally Posted by JTK
sabbates,

Who said that the colors shouldn't be mixed?

For the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid on Amazon, many of the answered questions say not to mix fluids, even if they are NS-3 compatible.

But like said, any time you do a fluid change on a transmission, you are mixing fluids. It's not a big deal.

Also, for what it's worth, I had a conversation with a Nissan tech on another board. NS-3 can be used in older Nissans where NS-2 is recommended. There no longer a need for NS-2 fluid. Using NS-2 in an NS-3 spec'd Nissan won't kill it, but why use a fluid with a lesser add pack in it when you don't need to.

True ^^^^

As long as the traction coefficient is correct for both CVT fluid being used. Viscosity seems to remarkably consistent between different fluids at 6.9-7.6 csT for all the CVT transmission fluids I have looked up.

The plastic tab on my dipstick tube cap broke off when I removed it, so it no longer locks, even if I put it on without rotating it 180°.

Has yours ever popped up while driving because of the heat and pressure?

The plastic tab on my dipstick tube cap broke off when I removed it, so it no longer locks, even if I put it on without rotating it 180°.

Has yours ever popped up while driving because of the heat and pressure?

Nope, never.
FYI, this is not my Altima; I service it for a friend.
In fact I did an oil change today. The cap is 180* out and is happy as a pig in slop.
It's tight.

Last edited:
...I wasn't able to get the cap off of my 2017 Sentra.

Am I supposed to push the metal tab away from the tube, as shown in picture?...
Though it appears this info after the fact for you, on a 2017 afaik you would have what some call a dummy cap, no dipstick. After some searching I found a good yt on how to remove that cap. At the :40 mark the yt maker shows a good demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZKsy8fhlD0

Remember, especially if this is the 1st time removing the cap, it may be stuck due to time and heat cycles.
You gotta "break the seal", for lack of a better description.
Nissan really blew it on this design...
Good luck.

Last edited:
I ended up using the red colored Castrol Transmax CVT fluid on my 2017 Sentra.

I pumped 4 liters of black, dirty fluid out through the dipstick tube, then refilled.

Drove the car for a day or so, checked the color, and it was still black/brown.

Then pumped out 4.2 liters and refilled.

Drove it another day or two, checked color, and it was still dark, not much red, even though it should be 83% clean, assuming it holds 6.9 liters, per owner's manual.

Pumped out 4.5 liters and refilled.

Haven't checked the color yet, but it should be 94% clean, red Castrol by now.

Not sure what to think if it still looks dark when I check it.

Should I just keep doing this until it looks red?

Does it feel better?

It feels about the same, as far as I can tell.

It didn't whine or slip before, though.

Good for you on using Castrol Transmax CVT fluid on your 2017 Sentra!

Given you did two drain/fill cycles on it, I'd leave it for awhile.

What you drain out is never going to look as nice as what you pour in. At least that's what I've found with Nissan NS-3 fluid. It goes in a pretty blue like w/s washer fluid and comes out kind of a dark greenish after some use.

Your sentra will have a replaceable filter element behind the fluid heater/cooler on the trans case if you wanted to change that at some point.

To me, the main thing is to refresh the CVT fluid at some interval. What is ideal I have no idea. I just want to know if that sucker fails, it's not going to be due to lack of fluid maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

Given you did two drain/fill cycles on it, I'd leave it for awhile.

What you drain out is never going to look as nice as what you pour in.

I've actually drained and filled it 4 times now, so it should be 98% clean.

It still looks dark brown, not red, though.

Every other car I've owned has red trans fluid when it's clean. It doesn't get dark until after for 20-30 thousand miles of driving, or so.

None of them were CVT transmissions, though. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

None of them were CVT transmissions, though. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I've only done drains/fills using Nissan NS-3 on various Nissans and it changes from windshield washer fluid blue to a very dark green as soon as it's put to use in the CVT.

Left in service long enough, you can't distinguish it by eye from used motor oil.

Main thing to me is that fluid is being changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back