Nissan Maxima CVT Filter C&P

Hello,

I changed the CVT fluid in my 2013 Maxima, and did the external CVT filter as well. The Nissan filter assembly is # 31726 - 1XEOA. These photos show the original CVT filter that is plumbed to the radiator cooler, it is accessed by removal of the plastic splash panel at the drivers front wheel well. The RE&RE for this filter takes about 25 minutes after you remove the drivers front wheel.

Car ran fine before, should be fine going forward. This was the 2nd change of fluid from new, I run the Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 oil because that's what I found was economical and shared the same manufacture as the Nissan NS2 oil. This original filter had 107,325 kilometers and 7 years use. FWIW, Nissan does not show any required maintenance for this filter. Whatever.

Here are the photos:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]MaximaCVT_Filter2 by Ken, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]MaximaCVT_Filter3 by Ken, on Flickr

The filter and bracket are a brazed assembly, pretty heavy duty assembly for such a small filter. The pleats were clear...if you don't count the debris I introduced with my hack saw.

No attention to COVID-19 processes here, but I did wash my hands well afterwards because the used CVT oil does have a particular stink.

I have used the Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluids in a high mileage Altima with excellent results.
I did not know there was a filter... Perhaps a service once every 80K makes sense?

Cool!

Thanks for taking the time to do this and share it. That's quite the assembly. Doesn't look too crazy expensive either. A quick google showed prices anywhere from $30-50. The filters are all over the place on these Jatco units it seems. Some are mounted behind the cylindrical shaped fluid cooler/heater assemblies, some are under their own housing on the transmission case as in my 2019 Pathfinder's CVT and some are complete external assemblies like yours. I guess what ever the rock catcher filter behind the pan doesn't grab, these will. I don't think I've ever seen a really clogged looking one based on what I've seen people post.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I didn't know there was an external filter for these CVTs. Whether or not my Altima or Civic in my signature have one, is open for some investigation.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I did wash my hands well afterwards because the used CVT oil does have a particular stink.

+1 to the stinky CVT fluid smell. That stuff is gross.

Originally Posted by Imp4
I did wash my hands well afterwards because the used CVT oil does have a particular stink.

I've never used NS-2 or it's alternatives, but NS-3 has just an engine oil smell to it. Nothing terrible like most ATFs.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Imp4

I've never used NS-2 or it's alternatives, but NS-3 has just an engine oil smell to it. Nothing terrible like most ATFs.

The new Pennzoil CVT-2 doesn't have a bad smell, not going to dab some behind my ears just yet...but when it ages in the transmission then it gets a bit ranky.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Thank you for posting this. I didn't know there was an external filter for these CVTs. Whether or not my Altima or Civic in my signature have one, is open for some investigation.

I'm pretty sure the 2013-2018 Altima's have both a filter screen above the pan, and then a cartridge filter that goes into another housing.

Thank you. Yes, I am aware of the tranny pan screen type of filter. Do you know where the other one is located?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Thank you. Yes, I am aware of the tranny pan screen type of filter. Do you know where the other one is located?
smile.gif

I haven't actually done it myself, but I was looking into buying an 2018 Altima so I was reading about servicing the transmission since I will do so regularly as sort of a preventive measure if I do end up buying one. At about 5:30 into this video he shows you where it is, it appears to be towards the front of the transmission.

I've done a drain & refill of the CVT. It was easy and came out perfect. I'll look for THAT filter next time I'm under the car for an OCI.

Like mentioned above, your Altima might not have that same style filter housing. Yours might be mounted inside the fluid heater, which is a removable can shaped assembly on the transmission case.

Is "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" equal to "Nissan NS-2" and is "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" Green? If I mix "Nissan NS-2" already in my 2013 Maxima with "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" in a drain and fill operation. will I create problems for myself?

Thanks

Is "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" equal to "Nissan NS-2" and is "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" Green? If I mix "Nissan NS-2" already in my 2013 Maxima with "Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2" in a drain and fill operation. will I create problems for myself?

Thanks
That fluid is a specific NS-2 equivalent, I'd mix it and think nothing of it.

thanks blufeb95

Comparing Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 msds with Nissan NS-2 msds (attached) looks to be the same except for "Alkyl methacrylates copolymer" not sure what that does?

Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 is difficult to find.
Pepboys have it on sale for $8.92 a quart but seems not to be in stock. I've place an order for six quart, will seen how long it takes to be here.

https://www.pepboys.com/pennzoil-platinum-cvt-quart/product/1162228

Attachments

• Nissan NS-2 99998-CVTNS2-E.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 msds.pdf
    144.4 KB · Views: 18
Back